Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Morgan 4/4

GeeBee

The only Morgan I have ever driven was a 4/4, in bright red, so this model will be done in Ford Radiant red, with a light tan interior, the kit I'm using was bought off ebay, but was missing the clear parts when it came, but I kept the kit and managed to get another built up one to use as a donar car, but that one the front screen was a mess, but I did get the top up option which was as new, so this model will be built with the roof in the up position.

100_3283.JPG

Today I built up the parts on the bodyshell that needed to be painted body colour, (Front Grill surround and rear lamp pods), as I am building this kit out of an incomplete kit, I am grabing some parts from the built up model I stripped down for parts, in the kit the front grill surround was broken, I used the one off the donor car, I had to clean off the glue residue, but it turned out o.k, for most of my builds I use good old Cellulose paints, but for this build I decided I would give automotive Acrylics a go, coverage was good and the shine right out of the airbrush was very good.

100_3289.JPG

100_3284.JPG

100_3285.JPG

100_3287.JPG

100_3286.JPG

I have left the bodyshell and bodyparts to dry out for a few days in a sealed plastic tub, which keeps the dust from settling onto the paintwork, now the smell has gone, the paint has gassed out, I should be able to start the polishing process very soon.

100_3294.JPG

The seats are molded in two parts, the seat bucket and the back panel, although the back of the seat won't really been seen once the model is built, I still went to the trouble of making the join as good as I could, and has now had a small coat of Squadron white putty, I will leave this to dry out overnight before sanding smooth

100_3296.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well today I managed to get into the model room, it's the first chance I have had since coming back from the IPMS show in Dublin, the body polished out very nice, and I didn't even need to break out the Minicraft drill and polishing mop, I used meguires NXT tech wax polish on a microfibre cloth, and after letting the filler dry on the seats, I have sanded them flat as well, and they have now had a coat of Tamiya XF-59 Desert yellow to match the interior.

100_3302.JPG

Bodyshell%20polished.JPG

bodyshell%20rear%20polished.JPG

chassis%20painted.JPG

interior.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit done to this over the last week, I can't really go any further as I'm waiting for the flocking to arrive for the interior, which needs to be fixed to the chassis before the bodyshell can be fixed on, all the little parts were either airbrushed in satin black or Alclad aluminium, the interior seats and dash were airbrushed in Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow, the bodyshell was masked off and the bulkhead and inner wings were airbrushed satin black.

Bulkhead%20painted%20black.JPG

Satin%20black%20parts.JPG

Seat

Disc%20&%20Caliper%20painted.JPG

Engine%20installed%2017th%20Oct

• 1 month later...

This has been on the back burner since I started writing and building models for a magazine, but I decided I needed to spend a little bit of time on my own models, as I don't want to loose interest in my own work, I decided I would add some flocking to the interior, I've never tried it before so I thought the Morgan would be the guinea pig, I had originally painted the steering wheel to match the seats, but decided I wanted it to have a bit of contrast with the interior, so decided it would have a wood rim, but again, I have never tried to do this before, so I went over the Tamiya XF-59 with clear orange, I think it might need a little dry brushing with artists acrylics, but I shall try that later when things have dried out.

Interiorbeingflocked2-vi.jpg

Flockingdriedandseatsfitted7-vi.jpg

Flockingdriedandseatsfitted2-vi.jpg

Steeringwheel3-vi.jpg

I also got round to painting the hood, this is moulding in clear, I simply masked the parts that needed to stay clear, and painted the hood using Tamiya semi gloss acrylic.

Hood%20painted%20(1).JPG

Hood%20painted%20(3).JPG

I still need to pick out the parts that need to be done in aluminium using BMF

hey man,

your morgan looks great so far.i just got one a couple weeks ago as part of my birthday present.one thing i wanted to mention that clay kemp said it in the competition the way he does woodgraining,i tried it and it was awesome.here's the formula in order:

1>tamiya desert yellow

2>light drybrushing with bronze

3>clear orange

it works great.i hope this will help.again,your morgan is looking good!

parts marty

...the way he does woodgraining,i tried it and it was awesome.here's the formula in order:

1>tamiya desert yellow

3>clear orange

parts marty

Does this mean metallic bronze?

hey man,

your morgan looks great so far.i just got one a couple weeks ago as part of my birthday present.one thing i wanted to mention that clay kemp said it in the competition the way he does woodgraining,i tried it and it was awesome.here's the formula in order:

1>tamiya desert yellow

3>clear orange

parts marty

I shall give that a go in the future, Thanks !!

• 1 month later...

I picked up another tip on here, and thought I would give it a go, Tamiya XF-59, dry brushed with bronze then given a coat of clear orange, I hadn't got any copper so I used dark copper, but now it's done, I have a bit of a problem, I have no decals for the dials, anyone on here have any suitable, or know anywhere than does decals for dials ??

MorganDashboard2-vi.jpg

The gearstick, handbrake and pedals were fitted into the tub using 5 minute epoxy glue, the interior tub fixed to the chassis by tabs at the front of the tub and cut out by the rear axle, a few spring clamps were used to get the two parts to fit tightly together, the rear dampers were fitted after the parts had dried, a fiddly job, but easier than trying to do at the same time as fitting the interior tub to the chassis

Interiorfixedtochassis2-vi.jpg

Interiorfixedtochassis4-vi.jpg