Model Cars Magazine Forum

So far good work. I see a lot of flush cut tubing trying to butt up to the sides of other tubes. If you file an arc into the end of the intersecting piece with a round needle file, you can make those joints look much smoother.

The term you are referring to is "fishmouth"

Nice build by the way. Is the autocraft motor scratchbuilt?

Ken - are you using CA or epoxy to attach styrene ears to the metal frame? I am using CA and knock the ears off on a regular basis.

Sorry I just noticed part of his chassis is aluminum.. so I am sure epoxy is the right thing to use here. If it was all styrene something like Plastruct Weld or Ambroid Pro Weld liquid cement. This stuff actually welds the styrene together as if it was one piece. I use the latter on all of my styrene projects.

Edited by eviltwincustoms

I use epoxy for styrene to metal. Here's what I am trying to build. The VW were hot back in the 80s.101_0941.jpg

Nice project, I will be keeping an eye on this. I really like when someone takes the time to build a ground up chassis for his project.

Question, is there any special reason you went with half aluminum and half styrene on the main section?

Shane, the motor is scratch built. Bart, the only reason I used aluminum tube for the main rails is it does not distort. I have learned through experience that using styrene for main rails is easier but will warp up slightly and change as the other pieces are added. Then the frame will not lay flat. By using metal main rails and styrene tube for the cage and braces, the chassis remains unchanged during the whole construction. This is my seventh car this year so I have some scar tissue to base my building materals on.

• 2 weeks later...

My first car was a bug, and I've always had them since. When the VW progressed from mini-stock to midget I was over the top stoked. I love what you are doing! The VW midget doesnt get much love now, but for a few years in the 80's it ruled the dirt. Mel Kenyon and Rich Vogler put it one the map.

They sure were! I only got to see Kenyon and Vogler run on TV. There performance was beyond outstanding. It seemed like Vogler could win in anything, except at Indianapolis. The only one I have ever seen as good as these guys was Wolfgang. I watched him run from the D main at Knoxville up to the A sometime in the late 80's. I had never seen a run like that, before or after. I wonder how many USAC titles Vogler could have had!

• 3 weeks later...

101_1403.jpg

101_1401-1.jpg Got the tail tank and hood done with styrene sheet and a little Bondo, but still easier than fiberglass, like I usually use. I am building the tires, again, so I can get the right size and some staggere in the rear tires. !00% scratch build and it's fun which is all that counts.

That is lookin' really GREAT, Ken!!

To be honest, I don't recall ever seeing one of these before in the 1:1 world (maybe I'm too young?..or more likely, I probably just haven't noticed them), but it is a VERY cool subject and you definitely have my attention!

Can't wait to see it finished!

Keep up the EXCELLENT work! B)

Edited by Wayne Buck