Model Cars Magazine Forum

101_1420.jpg

101_1419.jpg I have finally finished the tires and wheels and put on the injector stacks, firewall, belly pan and seat. Wayne; you've never seen a VW midget or never seen a midget racer before? The VWs were only popular in the early 80s, but they won a ton of races in a short time. Midgets, today don't look like this one. They look like small bridges with the same kind of tail tank (more or less)

They sure were! I only got to see Kenyon and Vogler run on TV. There performance was beyond outstanding. It seemed like Vogler could win in anything, except at Indianapolis. The only one I have ever seen as good as these guys was Wolfgang. I watched him run from the D main at Knoxville up to the A sometime in the late 80's. I had never seen a run like that, before or after. I wonder how many USAC titles Vogler could have had!

Have you ever heard of Steve Buckwalter? I think he runs ARDC, the guy would remind you of Vogler, Kenyon and Wolfie.

And not to throw this thread in the wrong direction, What a cool build this is, both subject and execution.

Edited by Psychographic

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of toys ( I was ) I am also biuilding another balsa wood airplane. This is my 2nd and I like them but they are a bit challenging with that whole tissue for skin thing. Anyway this is a Bee Gee, one of my favorites 101_1468.jpg

Close, it's a Gee Bee R-1, or R-2, there are a couple of minor changes, the numbers being one of the main ones. One of the neatest planes of all time.

Edited by horsepower

my dad and i watched these brutes at Cincinnati Gardens back in the day...we'd sit about halfway up, right about where the 'good' fumes were...lolol

nuttin like racing inside....

way back they used outboard motors in the midgets...Cincinnati RaceBowl was the shite!!!

forgot to mention how SHARP this midget is!!

Edited by weasel

Thanks guys and weasel I have been to a few indoor midget shows at the Cow Palace in San Fransico, back in the day. I've, for the most part, been around midgets all my life and they did run some of those outboards back in the 50s. I called them Smokey Joes because of the trail of smoke they left. The Offys were the best motors though. Ken

• 2 weeks later...

101_1403.jpg

..... I am building the tires, again, so I can get the right size and some staggere in the rear tires. !00% scratch build and it's fun which is all that counts.

I'm totally loving this Ken! 100% scratchbuilt!!! THE ONLY WAY TO GO! Just can't stop looking at those very cool styrene tires :wub:

Might have to take a cue from you on your taking a break from the midget by building those awesome balsa wood aeroplanes-- I have a big 1/16 scale Fw190 balsa kit that needs built.

Looking forward to seeing whatever you're having fun with. B)

• 1 month later...