1964 Chevy 4X4 pickup

50 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Here's a quickie build of Revell's '64 Chevy pickup...I'm so tired of burying myself in scratchbuilding & kitbashing, then putting builds aside due to burnout. Soooo, I put a deadline on myself to get one done!

I've got three weeks into this one so far (averaging about 7-8 hours a week), giving myself two more weeks to finish it.

No mods to body, just the usual hood & grille surround assembly/fit issues associated with this kit. Cut off the stock chassis' suspension mounting points to accept scratchbuilt leaf springs/hangers out back, and scratched/modified kit pieces for the front coil-sprung mounted Mercedes Unimog axles.

Tires are dullcoated SoReal IROKS, mounted on modified old MPC Dodge pickup 8-lug steelies.

All chrome was stripped and painted with Krylon semi-flat black enamel. Body/rims are covered in Tamiya TS-2 military dark green. Scratched bed cover painted with Rustoleum texured black.

IMG_45672.jpg

IMG_45562.jpgIMG_45602.jpg

Posted · Report post

And a few more...

IMG_47382.jpgIMG_47372.jpgIMG_47362.jpg

Posted · Report post

That's Freaking Awesome! Great job.

Posted · Report post

That's really KOOL!!! It reminds me of a neighbor I had when I was a kid, he had a '65 with 44" swampers on it...

Posted · Report post

Flippin Kool Alrighty!! B):D

Body and engine is looking good.

Gonna flip it over so we can see a look underneath? ;):D

Posted · Report post

Wicked man!!!!! I dig it!!! Sixx

Posted · Report post

Quickie build? What is this strange thing you are speaking of?

Seriously though. Very cool idea. Looking forward to seeing this take shape.

Posted · Report post

That is a cool looking old truck Jeff! Did you make the wheels? They look real nice in those So Real tires.

Posted · Report post

Way cool.

Posted · Report post

Nice looking truck you have there!!

Posted · Report post

Thanks everyone!

Rodney, once I finish the chassis/powertrain, I'll flip it for a few pics...

Roger, the rims are old MPC 70s Dodge pickup 8-lugs, with the front too-long-as molded hubs shortened more to scale. Rears are as molded. Supposedly these wheels are repopped by RMR, although Ron's catalog doesn't reflect that. Next time I see him at a show, I'll ask.

Posted · Report post

That body really lends itself well to your masterful off road treatment . Keep up the good work!

Posted · Report post

Nice work on this truck.looks great.I sure would have a hard time going for a ride....this boy is high.Thank you,Chris

Posted · Report post

love it.

Posted · Report post

I love old trucks! This one looks great Jeff, nice work. I see what appears to be an LS powerplant, what are you using for trans and transfer case?

Posted · Report post

Thanks Randy, Chris, Darrin, and Steve!

Steve, that LS in there is the one out of the Revell Chevy SSR kit. Not sure if I'm using that one yet or not. As far as the transfer case goes, I'd like to use an aftermarket Atlas, but there are none (any longer) in resin, and I don't want to get bogged down with scratchbuilding one (please step up aftermarket!), so I'll probably use the venerable NP205 from the old R-M 1/24 Chevy pickup/Blazer kits.

Posted · Report post

I asked and Atlas sent me a scale drawing of the Atlas II. It's on my list to make one for the 48 jeep. I have an aftermarket NP205 sitting here too though.

Posted · Report post

We used to have these great offroad resin products, but Jake has since given up on casting :(

http://www.freewebs....bigjeepzzresin/

Dave Zinn mastered another nice Atlas case, but I don't think he ever had it reproduced?

Alan @ Ma's resin has many more offroad-specific parts in the works also...

Posted · Report post

The truck looks super Jeff. I like the color on her, kinda has a military look to it.......... <_<

Sully

Posted · Report post

Beautiful job on this truck. Love the way it looks. Nice.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Sully and Dr. Cranky! Much appreciated!

I was thinking about putting some white Army "stars" on the doors...

Posted · Report post

Kewl!! With a capital K!

Posted · Report post

I know this goes against the grain,but I think it would look cool with a nicely built six cylinder. Maybe add six injectors with short stacks and a header on it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Kewl!! With a capital K!

Thanks!

I know this goes against the grain,but I think it would look cool with a nicely built six cylinder. Maybe add six injectors with short stacks and a header on it.

LOL Roger! That would be cool for a 2WD truck, but this one is sporting 46" IROKs :o I don't think the six would power it :lol:

I'm using the LS from the SSR kit as pictured, with the oil pan from the '99 Silverado kit. As soon as the drivetrain is painted/detailed/installed, I'll post a few pics...

Edited by jeffs396

Posted · Report post

LOL Roger! That would be cool for a 2WD truck, but this one is sporting 46" IROKs :o I don't think the six would power it :lol:

Two words... rolling start. :lol: