Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT "Destroyer" Ford monster truck; curious...

IIRC, "back in the day" AMT jumped onto the monster truck bandwagon sort of sideways, releasing a "bigfoot" clone based on the venerable '70's F100 longbed, adding a slew of monster truck chassis parts and giant wheels and tires and big truck axles.... leaving about 90% of the stock F100 parts in the kit as well. i can't tell exactly what year the F100 was, but it was clearly a high level of trim possibly the Explorer version, and because it had the bedside tool box, it should have been a Camper Special IIRC also....

so, what was the kit number for this in-betweener kit, as i am searching for one to build a STOCK F100 from, no interest at all in the monster truck parts.

i think the LAST stock version of this kit was called the Boonie Boss... any kit number for that as well?

hmmmm.... i wonder if Round2 has the molds for this kit or the Econolines?

it's been a lot 'o years since i seen one, so it may well have been a 350.... i wonder if the Boonie Boss version was 4x4? i just can't recall much about that one, just that it was a stock Ford pickup. they came with what appeared to be 460/C6 powerplants and had pretty detailed chassis. the bed was always a challenge to get glued together square, as it came in eight main pieces plus floor braces!

those Econolines had great chassis detail as well, just no interior to speak of. we'd burn AMT to the ground for that today!

just kidding, of course; i'd buy a dozen Econolines and F-100/350's!

The Boonie Boss was an 4x4 as well but like the Super Stones version came with parts to make a 2 wheel drive also

the engine was stated as a 460 but was really a Ford FE 390 etc.....

What he said. B) The Model King reissue is based on the Super Stones issue (the instructions still have the logo), and the 2wd parts are there, but not called out on the instructions.

The kit number is 6608. It has no frame,tires,hubs,and block to make a standard pickup. A person would have to do a bunch of kit bashing to make a pickup. I don't know which year had the parking lights inside the grille. As the kit stands all you can make is a monster truck. Larry Shoemaker

the last issue was heavily retooled to represent a newer truck and to slim down the extra parts, it's darn near unusable for even starting to reverse engineer it into a stock truck. hence, it's available almost everywhere!

i found a Boonie Boss online for $124.99..... hey, the last F100 i bought was only $150.00 and it was driveable....

somebody must be holding some Moel King F350 repops....

IIRC, "back in the day" AMT jumped onto the monster truck bandwagon sort of sideways, releasing a "bigfoot" clone based on the venerable '70's F100 longbed, adding a slew of monster truck chassis parts and giant wheels and tires and big truck axles.... leaving about 90% of the stock F100 parts in the kit as well. i can't tell exactly what year the F100 was, but it was clearly a high level of trim possibly the Explorer version, and because it had the bedside tool box, it should have been a Camper Special IIRC also....

so, what was the kit number for this in-betweener kit, as i am searching for one to build a STOCK F100 from, no interest at all in the monster truck parts.

i think the LAST stock version of this kit was called the Boonie Boss... any kit number for that as well?

hmmmm.... i wonder if Round2 has the molds for this kit or the Econolines?

If you can wait I can give you any info you need on the Boonie Boss, bought a sealed one on the other end of the province, waiting for it to come.

Nick

i saw one Boonie Boss on the interwebs for sale at around 125 bucks....

i bought a running '74 f100 for 150 bucks once.

i think i'll PASS on the BB kit!

Got mine sealed inside for $40, got it from a modellers Estate, would have bought some others but bought a 1:1 truck for myself instead.

Nick

I have an AMT Bigfoot built as a promo-style 2wd truck. I got it from a guy who used all the 2wd stuff in the kit, parts box wheel backs, hubcaps from the Econoline van kit, and old MPC whitewalls to give it more of an F-150 look. It's still unpainted, molded in Big Foot blue. The builder waxed the plastic out to make it shiny like a promo. Still looks pretty good cleaned up.

P9280067.jpg

P9280069.jpg

P9280068.jpg

-MJS