Model Cars Magazine Forum

International Harvester 4070A and Transtar 4270.

If you ever wondered what happen to these two models? why they havent been reissued? heres your answer. The 4070A went on to become the Transtar ll, The die was changed to make the Transtar ll cab. This was seeable in the first issue of the Transtar Il, it carried the same frame and rear suspension as the old 4070a the second issue of the transtar ll went to the walking beam. The 4270's die was also redone to make the 4300 which like the later transtar ll has the walking beam rearend. The hood of the 4270 was lengthened if you look under the hood you can barely see this line, the sleeper was added. Now one could alter the 4300 back into a 4270(4200) just by cutting down the hood,if your skilled enough you could also change the haedlights back by using the headlights from a Paystar 5000 kit which could also be done to the Transtar ll cab as hell but rember the wipers on the 4070 a was below the windshield and the bottom of the cab would have to be filled in as well as it was changed for the Transtar II. The 4070 a and the Transtar 4270 were issued in 1973. these were the first Intenational truck kits produced ever. Ertl which used the blueprints of the real trucks Thus they were called Ertl blue prints models.

This is really old news. Dave Palmeter , a retired International employee a retired International employee, who was the liaison to Ertl on the Transtar kits is a member of this board. He explained in detail the information behind the Transtar and Transtar II kits a while back. Also Dave Carey a former International employee, who offers accurate resin Intentional Items is also a member. Search the threads.

My farther also worked for International Harvester and retired from Navistar International thus is why I listed this post. He work at The Factory in FT.WAYNE Indiana untill its closure in 83 he went to the Sprigfield Ohio Factory in 95 retired in 1992 with 31 years, 28 years as a painter. Which reminds me Why did ertl never rerelease the S-series 2575,2674,2674 dumptruck. if anyone knows why they havent? Maybe they were not a big seller for Ertl? anyway do you think that round 2 will reissue them?

Palmeter worked in the Technical Center in Ft. Wayne. Ertl also never re-released the Great Dane reefer trailer. Possibly due to Thermo King copy write issues. I was disappointed that Ertl offered the 9670 in 1/32nd scale. I'm sure that when it was in the process of being designed, Ertl began to fall on had times and rather than scrap the project, just offer it in a smaller less detailed format. This is just speculation on my part.

Well now we have Moebius Models and they appear to the outlet for model International truck kits. Yea Moebius!

• 2 weeks later...