Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gold plating parts

Talk about a fast response,

Vacuum metallizing has to go thru an oven to make it shine the best. The chrome shop we use does not by pass the ovens so we would not be able to help you. Styrene would warp from the heat of the ovens.

I wish I could do business with this guy just based on his response time. I guess I'll keep looking

Talk about a fast response,

Vacuum metallizing has to go thru an oven to make it shine the best. The chrome shop we use does not by pass the ovens so we would not be able to help you. Styrene would warp from the heat of the ovens.

I wish I could do business with this guy just based on his response time. I guess I'll keep looking

I cannot help with the gold plating stuff, but can comment on Mr G's. They do really nice work and are reasonably priced. I have had a few things done for 1:1 cars I have restored and I have been happy with everything they have done for me.

OK: Plating plastic model kit parts as we know them, is done by vacuum-plating. This is a process whereby the plastic parts are coated with a very high gloss varnish or lacquer clear coat, then the parts are placed in a vacuum chamber, and all the air is drawn out. Once the vacuum is achieved, electrical current is shot through strips of pure aluminum, vaporizing them--and this aluminum vapor collects on the parts, taking on the shiny, virtually "wet look". The parts are then removed from the vacuum chamber, and given a protective clear coat (otherwise, the molecularly thin coating of aluminum would simply disappear within hours, if not mere minutes.

It's this transparent topcoat that can determine the color of the plating: For a silver, chrome effect, simply a clear coat is used. However, if a gold-tone look is what's called for, then clear yellow is used.

For gold parts, you can take already plated parts, and paint them with Tamiya Clear Yellow, or use one of the Candy Gold sprays. One thing to keep in mind: Transparent colored paints can be made darker by simply putting the stuff on heavier--think multiple coats here. To illustrate, think of say, colored transparent PVC report folders--if you were to stack up multiple sheets of say, clear yellow, the more sheets in the stack, the darker the color--it's exactly the same wiht say, Tamiya clear colors--the more coats, the darker the color.

Hope this helps!!

Art

Rick, what is it that you want "gold plated?" Have you thought about making a mold of the item you want plated then using one of the many metallic powders from the resin companys dusted into the mold? When the resin is poured in and cures it chemically bonds to the metallic powder. There are many metallic powders which offer very convincing results. Just a thought.