Model Cars Magazine Forum

Something Completely Different - Vintage Travel Combo

Since I've been waiting on some ordered parts for my Fiat build, I wanted to move on to something which is another one of my passions. I've been on the lookout for a vintage travel trailer to do along with a period tow vehicle. I found pictures of a sixteen foot '62 Yellowstone that has enough reference to build and am going to pair it with a '57 Chevy Suburban resin body from Jimmy Flintstone.

I'm having a riot working with the wood and am using construction tips from my 1:1 '59 Airstream TradeWind. Here's a few pictures to share with you all.

2v2usqC2rxAhY3V.jpg

2v2usqCbzxAhY3V.jpg

So far, everything has been scratch built. I plan on having pans on the stove, clothing in the closet, suitcases on the bed, etc. It will definately look used but not abused.

Stay tuned...

Edited by gasser59

This question might be a little out of line, but would you consider posting plans or posting tracings of your parts? If not, I understand. I love projects like these.

better yet, just make some duplicate parts and send us each some. I'm game.

Impressive start on a terrific project. Once you get the sides on, you'll be able to think inside the box.

Thanks for all of the comments guys. I wondered how this would be received and I'm thankful you all like it.

I don't have a problem posting my plans. I drew up top, front and side views of the interior, exterior and frame which I'll be glad to post once I get home from work. They'll either be converted to a .jpg or .pdf as they are currently an .ai file.

Here's a .jpg of the exterior sides. I plan on alclading the exterior with the exception of the blue along the window line. Making the windows will be a challenge since I'd like for them to open. I need some more printing plate.

YellowstoneExterior-vi.jpg

More to follow tomorrow...

Edited by gasser59

This is so cool. I know you can complete this and it will be a work of modeling art. Can't wait to see it in person someday. Brad won the Desert Classic Diorama award this last contest. His work is fantastic and super detailed. Have to see his work in person to appreciate all the work involved. Keep up the great work-- your friend Patrick

Edited by pepperdrumstix

Here's my plans for the interior layout. Planning on having the goucho pull out into the bed. Not sure on the color of the soft goods just yet but I painted the inside of the closet and booth seating a light blue so I'll need to do something along those lines.

Floorplan
FloorPlan-vi.jpg

Curbside Interior

CurbsideInterior-vi.jpg

Streetside Interior

StreetsideInterior-vi.jpg

Thanks for the compliments guys and as always, comments welcome.

Edited by gasser59