Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th 57 Chevy Turbo ProMod (03-14-13) Finished Bull-Horns with V-band clamps

Prostreet

I was a little bored tonight and dissappointed with the way the resin clutch can and trans looks, So i started fiddiling with my lathe and was able to get the stock good and secure and turn down the clutch can. I think it turned out pretty good, i still have to drill the holes and add the access covers. I think i may leave it raw aluminum instead of painting it titanium, still up in the air on that. I think at this point i may wait for some extra funds and get the TDR lenco or i may just use the resin part and put a blanket on it. Does anybody know a good way to attach decals to aluminum? With my fire bottle i had to hit them with dull coat for the decals to stay on.

012-vi.jpg

014-vi.jpg

013-vi.jpg

015-vi.jpg

Joe.... killer work man!! that bell housing tured out great. Nice lathe work. feel free to send.it my way ;). also the electronics turned out fantastic too. did you scratch build all of it? loving.this.build and.keep up the great work

Thx. Chris, scratch built all the electronics and turned down the aluminum parts except the little bolts, working on getting a mill soon after that I would like to get a newer lathe. The can turned out better than I thought it would.

Thx. Chris, scratch built all the electronics and turned down the aluminum parts except the little bolts, working on getting a mill soon after that I would like to get a newer lathe. The can turned out better than I thought it would.

Joe... thats awesome on the electronics parts. I am.gonna have to do the same thing.when.i get to my pro mod. did you just use reference pics for them? Man i have to tell you I am getting closer to buying myself a mini lathe. I want one so bad. I jist need to spend the money lol. I have really been enjoying this build. I am heading to.the races in Vegas this weeked and am stoked they will have a pro mod field. so needless to.say I will be taking lots of pics lol

Chris, I can't wait to see what you can do with a promod, You should definitely pick up a lathe if you can, it is a lot of fun. For the electronics I just went off reference pictures and tried to duplicate them to the best of my ability . I actually used slixx 1/25th decals for them.

Bill, going to try it tonight and if they don't stay I think I may try masking off where the decals go and hit it with dull coat to give the decals something to bite on. I love the slixx decals but they seem to not have a lot of adhesive or maybe it's just me..

Another small update, Yesterday since work called off i decided to get the trans done. I rounded off the back of the clutch can more, I made the access cover out of a piece of renshape. It turned out a little bigger than i would have liked but i think it still looks ok, I made the shifter pods out of various aluminum and brass tube. The blanket was made using sports tape collored black and the straps are electrical tape with some photoetched buckles i had lying around. also used various RBmotion hardware, Starting on the shifters now and hope to have it finished and installed tonight.

004-vi.jpg

006-vi.jpg

Joe.. that Transmission looks great. Killer work on ot. I love how you used different materual for the cover blanked and the straps. great contrast.

also wanted to let you know I need to email you a few pics I took at the Vegas Drags this past weekend on the seat belt mounting. didnt.get as many as I was hoping because most of the guys doors were on in the pits when I went by or i couldnt get a good angle because of the trailer in the way. but was able to get a few good ones

Your clutch can came out great, much better the second time with the rounded edge. Looks like you are coming right a long with using your lathe. I may have missed it, did you decide to hollow it our as well? The Air shifter pods look great on the tranny.

Keep them updates coming.. Makes me want to get cracking on mine again!

Edited by eviltwincustoms

Thx. Guys , this build is turning out way better then I expected.

Bart, I didn't hollow out the bell, I need a new chuck my old one doesn't hold tight enough . I did put it on my drill press and drill holes in it to lighten it up a bit.

Shifters are done , I will have some pictures tonight of it all in the chassis.