Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's hear it ILLINOIS modelers

Monte's Motors

Yup. Makes me so proud to be an Illinoisan... :rolleyes:

Geez, can a state government be any more corrupt??? I swear, Abe Lincoln is spinning in his grave so fast there's smoke coming out of his tomb...

That's what happens when they are elected "by the people" to work "for the people" and instead work for themselves. It's gonna be hard on his poor family, but it's okay that he screwed the people of Illinois. Yeah right!

Guest Johnny

The only ones I feel for are his kids. They were born into this mess through no fault of their own! His wife on the otherhand shared in the knowlege of the wrong doing so the heck with her!

Same with Ryan (except his kids profited too) the local paper here trying to make everyone feel sorry for his sick wife and then feel sorry for him because she was dying and he wasn't with her every minute of every day! Well neither is anyone else who is serving time for a felony!!!

They did sneak him out with the local paper keeping it quiet so he was there when she died. Bet the average joe blow prisoner would have not had that oppertunity!

The only ones I feel for are his kids. They were born into this mess through no fault of their own! His wife on the otherhand shared in the knowlege of the wrong doing so the heck with her!

Same with Ryan (except his kids profited too) the local paper here trying to make everyone feel sorry for his sick wife and then feel sorry for him because she was dying and he wasn't with her every minute of every day! Well neither is anyone else who is serving time for a felony!!!

They did sneak him out with the local paper keeping it quiet so he was there when she died. Bet the average joe blow prisoner would have not had that oppertunity!

Agreed!

Yes sir. Absolutely right.

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reading these post, really brings back a lot of memories. I like a lot of you guys, was born and raised in Waukegan, spent the first 45 years of my life in that town.

Am very familiar with most of the places your all talking about, as I spent 12 years. in the 60s and early 70s running beverage routes for Royal Crown Cola in Lake, Cook and McHenry counties, also routes at Great Lakes Navel Training Center.

In 74 I got burned out with the beverage business and got a job working for a LTL (general freight) trucking company in Park City, Than I got a real education in the Chicago area. My route was everything South of Roosevelt Road and East of the Dan Ryan Expressway all the way down to 80/94 in Gary. Some very interesting times in that area, especially at night.

1990 we moved out to Iowa, because the wife wanted to be closer to her family. I really didnt want to move, but you know some of us only do what the voices in the wifes head tell us to do. LOL LOL Still after 22 years out here, I would move back in a heart beat, now that I am retired, it would be a lot more interesting with a lot more to do.

We do try to go back a couple of times a year to visit with friends and relatives. Especially at times when my White Sox are playing at home. I like a lot of the guys that lived around Waukegan cant come for a visit without going to the Quanset for a pizza.

Well now I have done it, made myself hungry for a great pizza, not the garbage you get out here. Guess I will go start packing for my May trip over there. Maybe if the wife sees that I am all packed and ready, she will let me go early. Like she would really let me go alone.

I've worked in Waukegan before and also at the Navy Base. I usually get to Waukegan a couple times a year and my wife sometimes has to work there also. I've passed the Quonset many times but never have stopped in there. I also have work done on my vehilces at Strang Automotive.

Jeff & Nick- stop talking about Quonset pizza, you are making me homesick!

Jeff- I was born and raised in Waukegan, moved out in '98 when it started going downhill. I get back there once a year and it is sad to see the town in such decay, I had a lot of great times growing up there!

Nick- Dick Strang is probably one of the top shops in the area and you found it!

Jeff, you can order Quonset pizza and have it shipped to your door, a lot cheaper than driving all that way!

Thanks

Mike

Yea Mike, checked into that ordering pizza from the Quanset and having it delivered, but that just wouldn't be the same as going there. Kind of fun going to Waukegan, sitting at the Quanset with friends, sharing a pizza, a couple of brews and a lot of bs.

You are certainly right about that town going in the toilet. You lasted 8 more years there than I did. When I moved on in 1990 it was pretty much in decline than. We didnt get up there last year because of some problems the wife had. But it seems every year we go up there, some more of the fun stuff we used to do when we first got married is closed up or gone.

We used to hang out at a little place over on Washington Street called The Dog House, small nice place with a pretty regular following. I see now that that whole area has been built up and the only thing left of the original Dog House is the sign.

Its just so sad to see that town go to heck, back in the late 50s to the early 80s it was a great place to live and grow up in. Althrough Waukegan isn't the only town in the USA to face this plight, there are so many going down this same road these days.

Looking foward to our trip up there this year, that Quanset pizza and those few brews are starting to call my name, not to say that a couple of good friends always call and say "hey we ate over at the Quanset tonight" Thinking about taking them off my good friends list. LOL LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Born in Chicago and lived across from Midway Airport. Grew up mostly in Oak Lawn. Moved to California and 5 years ago to Arizona. Chicago had the best food. Pizza in California and Arizona sucks for the most part. My favorite hobby shop was called "Trost Hobby Shop " and if my memory serves it was on 63 rd. st. Any chance it is sitll there ?