Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's hear it ILLINOIS modelers

Monte's Motors

• 2 weeks later...

Come to Arizona. The winters are beautiful. Homes have become a bargin and there are lots to choose from. Open and concealed carry is legal. The down side is the summers. If you like heat this is the place to be. It can be hard to spray lacquer in the summer as it can tend to dry before it hits the surface your painting. Thats the truth !

I also like the southwest. I've been to Phoenix a couple of times, and yeah, it gets hot... but like they say, "it's a dry heat!" And that's really true. I can deal with 110 degrees and 20% humidity, no problem. It's those 90 degree/90% humidity summer days here that are killers. I swear, you can sit perfectly still under a shade tree and still break a sweat!

I also like the southwest. I've been to Phoenix a couple of times, and yeah, it gets hot... but like they say, "it's a dry heat!" And that's really true. I can deal with 110 degrees and 20% humidity, no problem. It's those 90 degree/90% humidity summer days here that are killers. I swear, you can sit perfectly still under a shade tree and still break a sweat!

Harry, I was concerned about moving to the South (NC) back in 2005 because of the humidity but the big difference here versus Chicago is that once the heat and humidity set in,it sticks around and you get used to it, unlike the yo-yo effect of Chicago's wacky summer weather. I had a heck of a time going from 90 degrees and a dewpoint of 72 one day and the next it would be 70 degrees and a dew point of 48 in Chicago on any given day in the summertime. I think this past summer you had more 90 degree days in Chicago than we had here in NC, and when I visited at the end of July, it was nearly between 98 and 101 degrees 6 out of the 7 days I was there!

You would enjoy that Mustang a lot more if you lived elsewhere, something to think about.

Although I am in the Phoenix area now I was born in Chicago and lived there for 27 years and then moved to California and then to Arizona about 6 years ago. The summers here are very hot but with air conditioned homes and cars and at work it is tolerable. On weekends do your running early before the worst of the heat hits. As been said it's a dry heat but so is the oven. You tend to get used to it but I will admit I am very happy to see fall come along. I prefer Arizona to California and Illinois for a bunch of reasons but that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey!

near west suburbs of Chicago is where I'm at. Along with Lou Malnati's Pizza, one of my favs is Gino's East in the city!!!

And if Your ever in this area you've got to go to Palmer Place in La Grange Ill, great burgers,sandwiches,O-rings, and potato salad, and plenty of beers on tap,and in bottles, the best!!!!

Don't forget Route 66 Raceway, my son and I go for the NMCA/NMRA Superbowl of Street Legal Drag Racing,always a Great time.