Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's hear it ILLINOIS modelers

Monte's Motors

Born in Waukegan, lived my first 18 years in Zion. Joined the Marines after high school in 82. I've been back a few times since leaving, the last in '02, a trip to Great America (Six Flags) with my daughter. I don't miss the cold and the snow, it gets to cold here (just across the state line from Memphis) for me. Of all the things to miss, it's the pizza I miss most. Dee.

Believe it or not, we haven't gotten any snow yet, in fact I haven't even seen much for frost yet!

• 2 weeks later...

Born in Waukegan, lived my first 18 years in Zion. Joined the Marines after high school in 82. I've been back a few times since leaving, the last in '02, a trip to Great America (Six Flags) with my daughter. I don't miss the cold and the snow, it gets to cold here (just across the state line from Memphis) for me. Of all the things to miss, it's the pizza I miss most. Dee.

My family shares those same sentiments Dwayne! Whenever we get back to Waukegan the first stop is at Quonset for a pizza. We can only get chain pizza here in Charlotte or that NY style pizza that is close but not quite the same! I, too, graduated in '82 but didn't leave for good until 2005.

While I've never had pizza from the Quonset, I have been by there many times and there are a lot of great pizza places in and around Chicago. I know people who have left Chicagpland and they really miss the hot dogs and Italian beef sandwiches,so much that they'll take a sack full on the plane on their way back home after visiting here.

We'll be going up to Lisle, IL for the ViêtNow national convention in May. The plan calls for hauling 10 - 15 pounds of frozen Portillo's Italian beef back with us. It'll have to go as checked baggage, but that's OK. Maybe a trip over to Winfield for the best pizza - Gianorio's.

Jim and everyone else that misses the culinary delights of Chicago- there is a website that offers many of the favorites from the Windy City and you can have them shipped overnight to your door. Lou Malnati's Pizza, Portillo's beef and hot dogs,Carson's ribs, Eli's cheesecakes- all ready to ship at TastesofChicago.com.

My last trip home Jim I sent my clothes UPS and brought 8 pizzas and a cheesecake home in my carry on bag! Got some funny looks from the TSA but I was "The Man" when I got home !

I will be back after the first of the year to check on my parents and you can bet I will be bringing home some great food again!

Springfield here, althought I have not lived there since '78 I do visit from time to time, miss my midwest friends, don't miss the snow. Now I live mere feet from the Gulf of Mexico in Texas, great if you like the water, not great if you hate the rodeo.......or hurricanes..........and man I sure do.

Mike

Edited by bigmikevee

Interesting, Mike. I didn't know you could bring a bunch of pizza onboard. I tried with some frozen Portillo's beef with gravy and it had to go as checked in baggage. Frozen or not - it's still a liquid.

The shipping deal is very expensive. Last time I checked, a pound of Portillo's beef with gravy was around $57 shipped overnight to FLA. Too much. We found a recipe online for Italian beef and make it every so often.

Interesting, Mike. I didn't know you could bring a bunch of pizza onboard. I tried with some frozen Portillo's beef with gravy and it had to go as checked in baggage. Frozen or not - it's still a liquid.

The shipping deal is very expensive. Last time I checked, a pound of Portillo's beef with gra!y was around $57 shipped overnight to FLA. Too much. We found a recipe online for Italian beef and make it every so often.

$57 a pound for Portillo's beef? What is it gold? That is pricey!

$57 a pound for Portillo's beef? What is it gold? That is pricey!

I just checked Portillo's website. It's $69.95 for 1 pound of beef, gravy, peppers, rolls with 2 day shipping. I'll wait until I get in May and bring home about 10 pounds and it'll go as baggage.

Hmmmm well, shipping a parishable product cross country in that short of a time period can't be cheap to do. Do they use USPS, UPS, or FedEx?