Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Dodge A-100; Batmobile Parachute Pickup Service Van

Completed last night, Sept. 24,2011...7th finished model of 2011 for me! I was inspired to build this after seeing the van in at least one episode of Batman on TV.

Added the rear roof and sides from a MPC Dodge Tradesvan to the Lindberg Little Red Wagon kit.

Added the phone from AMT 63 Galaxie kit to the dash on a shelf, photo-reduced newspaper on the engine cover, and tissue and thread 'parachutes' in the rear. Rearview mirrors from AMT Peterbilt and some piano wire. Also posted in The Batcave CBP. Enjoy. More pictures here.

2011-09-25-BatParaPUServ028.jpg

2011-09-25-BatParaPUServ035.jpg

2011-09-25-BatParaPUServ040.jpg

2011-09-25-BatParaPUServ006.jpg

2011-09-25-BatParaPUServ019.jpg

Edited by Tony T

Ahhh...but by the time the Van arrives at the pickup site where the chutes are, the Batmobile is long gone! :lol: I still can't get over this one. I've looked at the Jimmy Flintstone site and seen the van body...i'm getting closer and closer to picking one up before it's out of issue. Or maybe two...or three... B):D

That is IF they don't trace the number on the Batmobiles licence plate first! :lol:

Loved seeing this one go together, love the end result. B)

Really cool A100. This is great looking body, and it's like a dream with big engine with lots of HP. Your build is great, I like the color, and paintjob looks good too. Wheels and tires are really looking good also. Thanks for sharing this one.

We have one in Finland too:

_small.jpg

I have seen three of the 1:1 vans that were really "healthy"! The first was a guy worked at a station I did. He had wrecked his 64 Plymouth so pulled the 413 out and installed it and the push button automatic into an A100 window van!

The second had a 440 Six Pack and the third had a 426 Hemi moved back into the same position as the LRW!

The guy with the 440 6 Pack was trying to work out a shifter for the 4 speed! Don't know if he ever did!

I had the Ford version with a HP 289 out of a 64 Fairlane 500XL. The car had almost rusted in half.

Thanks, guys, for the comments and stories! Love the flat front vans of the 60s!

Neat van Niko-Thanks for the picture!

Johhny - I haven't seen many around these parts...just one Ford a few years ago, but haven't seen it in a while-it was tu-tone and had a raised rear end and Cragars...very much a 60s mild custom!

Joe, the chutes are tissues...I actually cut two into a circle and did a quick bat with a sharpie marker on them...folded them up, added the thread and got the white glue and water out. Came out pretty good to me! Maybe the newer Batmobiles don't need chutes, what with the advances in brake technology and materials...or reverse thrusters...:)

This was a long time coming, but glad to have it done! Onto the Snap kit Batmobile before my glue kit arrives!

Thank you for the comments!

Ed-Just built the chassis out of the box...nothing special.

Tony-Found the lettering online (there is a Yuku forum for 66 Batmobile)-printed on my printer, cut out each word and applied with white glue-I cut the words where the van doors open and stuck them all on...covered with Future.

Here's the screen cap that got me started...

BatmobileParachutePickupServiceVan.jpg

Here's the artwork - I can't recall who made this...wasn't me!

BatmobileParachuteServiceVan-vi.jpg