Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

daily driver weathering

6 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I plan on doing a shop truck and would like to to try out a little weathering. I'm going for a daily driver look a truck that's used hard everyday but is well taken care of. just simple stuff I guess. What would I need, and how do I go about weathering?

Posted · Report post

Harold, with weathering you can go from mild to wild in one fell swoop of the airbrush or rattlecan. Subtle is always better!

Also, the little details go a long ways . . . a torn seat, oily engine, some dust, some rust streaks . . . etc., etc., etc., just have fun and enjoy the process.

Posted (edited) · Report post

do a google search for rusty truck :) You'll see lots of ideas for subtle weathering. Then, buy Cranky's book! :)

Edited by Foxer

Posted · Report post

Some washes of acrylic craft paints are a great place to start and very forgiving if you over-do it. Add some baking soda to the wet paints if you want some texture for wheel well dirt accumulation and/or rust.

Posted · Report post

A very good place to start would be to have camera in hand, look for "weathered" vehicles. Take the time to see just how road grime gets on a car or pickup, With winter coming in another 6-8 weeks in the northern states of the US, such observations should be easy to make,

Art

Posted · Report post

Sometimes it's the little details that will make it a good candidate. A torn seat, a little fogged paint around the inside of the windshield. A change in panel color . . .say a panel done in primer, etc . . . but yes, your best bet is to drive around with your camera, like Art suggests, and take photos of real ones you see.