Model Cars Magazine Forum

Improvised Tools

What kind of tools have you improvised or cobbled together for building your models? I'm kind of curious to see what things people have done. It seems that it's not that uncommon for nail files to be used, and I've head of nail polish being used to paint small sections of cars before. But I'm kind of curious as to what more unusual things people have come up with.

And on that note, here's a bit of humor along that vein.

http://retailminions...need-know-basis

Very cool thread.... Cant wait to see more ideas. I will have to see if i have anything i can add to this thread.

Really like the file idea with the xacto handle. I may have to try that sometime.

I sure could of used the compass/xacto idea when i was doing my disk brakes for my funny car build. But found a cheap plastic compass thing at micheals. May have to look into making.one of.

these.

dont know if anyone elis does this but - take a pice of 3600-4000 grit 1in by 2or 3 in long and wrap a bit - tape it or supper glue it so it stays on bit and use it in your dremal (like a flaper for porting heads) to remove mold lines or the dips in trunks from pro mo screw pins works good for me (ive ported a lot of heads though so i have good exp) just rember to keep it moving or youll make a dip (or remove too much too fast in one spot) it might work better at slow speeds till you get use to it - but i run it wide open - ive also cut lil slits in the open end to make lil finger things (sorta like an automatic car wash brush that beats the dirt off your car)and go over the whole car to start the polishing prosess.happy modling mike

You know how often you actually use your fingernail(s) while working on model cars. Like pressing down bare metal foil, scraping off that tiny bit of excess glue or putty, press down on a piece of sandpaper while sanding a tight spot, the like.

Well, my fingernails are usually too short for this kind of stuff, so I got me a pack of ten artificial fingernails from the beauty section in the supermarket for a quid or so. They also can be filed to any shape you need.

I make all my own sanding "sticks". I use double sided carpet tape and lay it on foam cafeteria trays. Then lay down a sheet of wet/dry sandpaper and cut them to whatever shapes I want. They work dry just fine and also work great under running water. I've also used the foam trays that supermarket meats come packaged in too but I run them through the dishwasher first to get rid of any bacteria.

I made a right angle sander for squaring off the ends of strip, rod, square, hex or any other shaped platic. I've never seen anything that works better than this if you want a perfectly squared off end on a piece of plastic! I had a piece of phenolic resin type plastic laying around so I used that as the base. Just laid one piece on top of the other and then attached a piece of angle iron made of aluminum at a right angle. To keep it square I drilled 2 holes and pushed in a couple of steel dowel pins. That way, if I ever want to set it up at an angle I can get it back to perfectly square in a few seconds.

Here's one view of it....

Sander2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

And here is how it's used. You can use anything you want to do the squaring...sanding block..piece of sandpaper wrapped aroun a block of some kind...a file..whatever. In the photo I'm using one of my homemade sanding sticks as described in my previous post. Keep in mind that you need to use your left hand to hold the piece of plastic up against the angle iron and also give it some pressure forward to the sanding block. I had to use my left hand on the camera for this photo...

Sander1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Do these count? :lol:

tools.jpg

Ok, actual tools I've made to build with

After spilling one too many bottles of glue, just a PVC cap and an electrical plate cover

glue_holder.jpg

I made a cutting jig for plastic using a laminate table top and 2 squares. One is fastened down, the other is free to move for adjustment. I've been using this for years and have been very happy with it.

worktable2.jpg

Making use of the skills learned in high school wood shop

Everyone had to make a spice rack right? Well this just takes that idea and adjusts for the size of paint bottles.

paint_rack1.jpg

Paint booth

spraybooth5.jpg