Model Cars Magazine Forum

Re-issue of the Johan '59 Rambler wagon coming from Model King / IMC

S. Svendsen

i missed out on this the last go 'round

what scale is this kit? seems like it was bigger than 1/24, maybe more like 1/22?

Okey Spaulding reissued this one under his JoHan banner about 8 or 9 years ago. It is 1/25. Of course, it's a Rambler Classic, not the Rambler American, so it's pretty much a mid-sized car.

Art

The car is has the Ambassador wheelbase, But its called a cross country if I remember correctly. I had one of the promos of it, I'll have to get a couple of these, I think a 55 Chevy trunk will work for the sedan,with a few mods, I have 2 of the junker Monogram kits just sitting around. These came with the interior correct? My promo I had didn't.

Does anyone have any recommendations as far as engine/chassis readily available that could work with this kit?

If you have a 66 Marlin parts kit, Thats about as close as you're going to get, Of maybe a modified 66 Fairlane/67 Comet Chassis, The tube axle will have to be scratch built. Juha Airo made a 56 Rambler back in 96-98, Thats how he did the chassis. It was in one of the old Car Modeler mags back then, Or SA.

Hmmmm, can't wait to see what else will be there then!

BTW Luc, we've the moved the store to a different part of St. Charles if you're going to be coming out this way again.

Sadly, I can't make it to Chicago this year, cuz after being dumped by my former employer (together with 5000 others) I'm back at school, training to become a heating technician, and can't take a few days off.

These AMC cars were unibody, with no separate frame. The closest chassis I can think of is early Ford Mustang with the lower control arms reversed. Then start correcting......

The later AMC V8 is in the monogram CJ-7 Jeep kit (304), but it's 1/24, I don't know if its undersized and would work or not.

The later AMC V8 is in the monogram CJ-7 Jeep kit (304), but it's 1/24, I don't know if its undersized and would work or not.

The Revell Jeep J-10 Honcho and Pink Poision have the same engine done in 1:25. It's not as well-detailed as the CJ engine though. Both are second-gen AMC V8s so neither would be 100% right for a '59, but they'd be close with a few changes, and certainly a lot better than the '60's Jo-Han AMC/Rambler V8 castings.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention in class, but how do these re-issues work with Model King? Does MK only market the kits? Who actually drags out the tooling, inspects it, and eventually molds these re-issued kits?

What has me curious is the fact this is a JoHan kit, and AFAIK, JoHan used a very unique and outdated injection molding setup, plus I thought Okey Spaulding still has the rights to the JoHan kits and tooling?

Okey was at the Columbus Indiana show yesterday and had more Johan stuff than I've seen him with in a long time.

This is a good sign. I know that IMC, at least from what I was being told, didn't have anything directly to do with Okey, but perhaps they've come to some kind of partnership.

I do hope the kits are still being molded here, though, instead of elsewhere.

Charlie Larkin

does anyone have a pic of the Rambler wagon next to another 1/24 or 1/25 scale car or truck? i still swear i remember that thing being bigger in scale then it's claimed to be.

I can see what I can do Dave. Would a pic with it next to AMT's 55 Nomad work??

does anyone have a pic of the Rambler wagon next to another 1/24 or 1/25 scale car or truck? i still swear i remember that thing being bigger in scale then it's claimed to be.

Don't know about the Rambler but Johan's old Studebaker Lark kit scales out to about 1/22 or 1/23 so anything is possible! It was also advertised as 1/25 because that's what the cool kids buy! :D

next to anything that would be of comparable size to it in 1:1.

i do remember another Johan kit being bigger scaled too, maybe it was that Lark. pretty sure it was someone here that had gotten one and was suprised that it was bigger than 1/25.

I think you are thinking of the Lark- I remember reading an old SAE article by Rick Hanmore and he mentioned he thought it was a bit closer to 1:24. As far as this one, I'm not totally certain, but it is listed as 1:25 and it appears at least close to that.