Model Cars Magazine Forum

build times

I spend quite alot of time on my builds and it gets my wife really mad. She says that I love my models more than her ! I usually spend three or four nights a week working on my project. I build semi trucks and I make plenty of changes to the model from box stock. I am now building a early 70's MACK WRECKER and I am plumbing the chassis with all the air lines for the brake system , highly detailing the engine and making alot of other modifications to the model trying to make it look as realistic as possible. Besdes the building time I have spent quite alot of hours online searching for photos etc. so I can make my details and paint colors correct. I started te model about 1 and 1/2 years ago and I think I will have it complete in about 6 more months .

Steve, I've always found that curious too. That "other" magazine always uses that under their show coverage captions. I think a model needs to take as long as it takes, pure and simple. Sometimes I think the shorter it takes the more fun and "in the fun zone" the builder has placed him or herself.

As Long as it takes you to finish..

It's not a race unless you get involve in a Community build off.

My Stalled or waiting to be finished shelf

The above shelf is waiting to be projects :lol:

StalledProjects.jpg

I have ADHD, what can I say? :lol:

Edited by RodneyBad

Some people can spend a weekend and some people can take a life time :rolleyes:

As slow as I build, I might need two or three lifetimes!! :lol: :lol:

Finish?..................Is that Spanish? I don't know that word?

I've heard that word before, but have no clue what it means!!! :lol: :lol:

Since I first started posting here on Aug 1, I have completed the Chi-Town Hustler, the U.S. Dart, the Jungle Jim Charger and yesterday finished (Finnished?) the Willys Mini Zinger.

Why so prolific? Being recently retired (involuntarily) from the workforce, I NEED something to fill my days. Others are still in the workforce and must appease wives and kids and carry on a semblance of a normal life. This is primarily a leisure time activity, but it also depends heavily on motivation and devotion to the subject at hand.

Speaking of which, I gotta get back to work on the Bride of Deora.

Some people have to get it built! Now! And building seems to be what it is about. I was talking yesterday to a fellow who told me he only builds level 3 and higher rated kits. I offered the opinion that you get out of a kit what you put into it and the only difference was more parts and maybe a big decal sheet (a la NASCAR). He would not have any of that, level 3 was more demanding. I have not seen any of his stuff but it seemed to me that he was happy to get it built and the building was the important part not how 'finished' it looked when he was done building.

I know that there are guys on here that could take a snap kit and make it a contest winner and that is not done over-night and is a different 'process' than just building.

Sorry for the ramble, it just seemed to surface while reading these posts.