Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Chevelle Wagon ProStreet Custom

A mouthfull, but it is what it is. When looking through my stash for a nice build that I can complete before the nationals, I ended up with the Chevelle Wagon. I had idea's that were mild custom, but then my eye landed upon a started '67 Chevelle ProStreet kit and I was wondering if it would be doable to combine those 2 kits. Remarkably, it fits without too much hassle.

Idea's popped up my mind and soon I had a theme for the project; Daddy's ride. The Chevelle will be build both ProStreet chassis/engine wise and Custom on the body/interior.

I will finish this project with some items that makes it clear, this is daddy's ride.

The colors were imagined quite quickly, I wanted red/red. I used Rosso Ferrari en Rubino Micalizzato, Both Ferrari OEM colors. First reaction of my wife; Those 2 colors don't go together, you can't do that. But most of you know, I do have my way around colors and I thought it would work out. So I went ahead and used those colors and also used it for the interior theme.

The box-art

chevelleps001.jpg

And here I started with making my own Outlaw-hood. I found a few resin hoods, but I didn't like the look of those, so I decided to make my own.

chevelleps002.jpg

I cut out the original SS 'intakes', maybe I can use it for a future project.

chevelleps003.jpg

And glued the outlaw part on the hood.

chevelleps004.jpg

Time to sand and sand and sand

chevelleps005.jpg

Due to the prostreet character, I wanted a race gastank in the boot, I made it from styrene sheet. here is the template I made

chevelleps006.jpg

Cut it out...

chevelleps007.jpg

And glued it together. I made it a little too big, so I will shorten it a little

chevelleps008.jpg

I also modified the springs of the hood. I removed the molded in springs and replaced it with real springs

chevelleps009.jpg

And the first picture of the colors of the car. I am working here on the BMF.

chevelleps010.jpg

The engine so far

chevelleps011.jpg

And the lower part of the dash

chevelleps012.jpg

Still working on the BMF, it really worked against me on this project.

chevelleps013.jpg

I added a little extra BMF on the roof, made it to resemble the Chevy-logo a little.

chevelleps014.jpg

The chassis that I will be using for this project. Since the wheeltubs will be visible, I painted them too.

chevelleps015.jpg

Wow, great looking body! I like those colors and paintjob is beautiful. Wheel wells on the rear are looking very good too, and engine looks great so far. That cowl hood looks cool too, great idea of using that '67 Chevelle scoop as a basis.

Thanks all for the nice comments. It is appreciated. But if you see something where I messed up, please let me know too.

@tony, Todd and Rodney; Correct! It will be a babyseat and installed on the rear-seat.

Work progressed and I am working mostly on the mechanical parts.

I worked a bit more on the engine, added pulley's and some PE

chevelleps023.jpg

chevelleps024.jpg

After installing the exhaust's, I thought it would be a nice touch to add some heat-shields, I made them from aluminium

chevelleps025.jpg

chevelleps026.jpg

A dryfit with the interior, The gearbox is too high and the engine sits too high on the front-mounts, 2 issues that needs to be adressed.

chevelleps027.jpg

Thanks guys for the nice comments! Appreciated!

@Walt, well.. it usually takes me longer, but the nationals are on the 23rd and I want to take it with me. ;-)

And work continued, even though the major parts were done, it is time-consuming in finishing a build.

I put some BMF on the sidepanels, here is a before and after shot:

chevelleps035.jpg

The finished and seatbelted babyseat

chevelleps036.jpg

I scratched a seatbelt-clicker...

chevelleps037.jpg

That I put on the rear-couch and will hold the baby-seat in place...

chevelleps038.jpg

chevelleps039.jpg