Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Topper" 32 Hot Rod Finished!

Steve H.

Yay... :D

This ones been on the bench for 5 months and has taken me to my personal best on detail. Its no Show Winner, but I'm extremely happy with it! 8) Its my take on a "Driver" hot rod, with all the dings, dirt and grime to go with it. ITS NOT A RAT ROD! (Sorry, I just get tired of that term!)

32 Ford/40 Willys Origonal issue double kit... I used the body, interior, frame and rear end. The frame was lengthened, strengthened and suicided. The body is untouched except for removing the pins that located the showcar fenders. Revell's 32 supplied the grill and shell, radiator, headlights and front axle setup. The grill, shell and rad are chopped to match the body height. Paint is Rustoleum Key lime, weathered with grungy green powder. The frame, interior, top, white walls and engine block are Testors Wimbledon White, weathered with powders, also.

Yes, I just broke the windshield wiper!

P1010108-vi.jpg

Wheels and tires are Modelhaus. The decals came from the Retro Hobbys trikes re-issue Mailbox Chopper. Revell plate decal and my casting of an origonal club plaque. 61 Plymouth taillights (Thanks to Stan Pinnick!) The weathering on the body shows a little in this pic. Its not as subtle as this pic shows, but still very restrained.

P1010110-vi.jpg

Heres where all my brain cells and eyesight ended up going!

AMT 49 Merc block and heads...

Replicas and Miniatures S.C.O.T. blower w/ pulleys and belts, headers (modified), fuel/oil assembly...

Parts by Parks beehive...

Arrowhead distributor (modified)...

Solder, brass tube and craft wire for the radiator hoses...

Brake lines and fittings...

Origonal kit carbs and aluminum tube stacks...

Parts box alternator.

The Radiator was modified for a second inlet and to raise the cap.

I'm sure you guys can find many mechanical errors in my build, but I'm still pretty happy with it! I'm a Mechanical Moron, just trying to build what I think looks right.

P1010102-vi.jpg

P1010098-vi.jpg

Just a little wear and tear on the chassis... Scrapes, grime and patches!

P1010104-vi.jpg

Enjoy the pics, I hope you like it!

Comments always welcome!

Next stop... GSL!

Heres my build up photo album, with WAY TOO MANY pics... I need to sort these out.

http://public.fotki.com/ModelCarGuy2003/bu...-vicky-hot-rod/

That anything like "scattered, smothered and covered?" :D

Seriously, though ... GREAT-looking rod! I like it a ton!

Where'd those headers come from?

Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland... I modified mine to shorten them.

adHeadersOverTheFrameMegaphone-vi.jpg

Now thats 1 cool 32 ! Man I'd like to have the time to get back on mine ! Nice Work Steve !

KDog

You mean I finished mine first? I thought yours was done! As I said elsewhere, I give you credit for inspiring this build.

This is just too cool! I've looked at these pics about 5 times now and keep seeing more neat things. If you don't mind, I'm going to print these pictures for Norman Veber (Reps & Mins) so he can see what cool creations evolve from his parts. Great color choice. Great stance. Great everything. Uh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I think I like it.

This is just too cool! I've looked at these pics about 5 times now and keep seeing more neat things. If you don't mind, I'm going to print these pictures for Norman Veber (Reps & Mins) so he can see what cool creations evolve from his parts. Great color choice. Great stance. Great everything. Uh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I think I like it.

Lyle, Thanks for the compliments.

I was going to send Norm a link to my pics, but figured he's on his way to GSL right now. Feel free to print and pass them on, though. Norm should be made aware that his parts make us better modelers!

BTW, The blower is absolutely one of the nicest resin parts I've ever seen, beautifully designed and easily built.