Model Cars Magazine Forum

How Much Do You Have Invested ?

I had a Friend of mine ask today, "How Much I Have Invested In My Hobby" after he had seen all my Built Model Cars, Display Cases, Kits, Supplies,and all of the assorted related items i have, towards this Crazy and Addictive Hobby....Well that kind of hit me sideways never really gave it much thought...

To make a long story short just a rough estimate came up to around $4,000.00 OMG i thought that is a lot of $$$ just in my Airbrush and compressor, along with 47 cans of Tamiya TS- Paints (un-open) is a total of around $500.00... :blink:

I could go on and on but i hope you all see the point...that i am trying to make here.

My Question: How Much Do You Have Invested?

Then again how much is it all Really Worth?.....well to me it is Priceless

Cheers to All.... B)

Thanks for Reading and letting me Share... ;)

Edited by XJ6

Were I to sit down and tabulate it all from the beginning I'd have more than enough to buy a large home. As for what I have currently?

Enough to buy an average new car.

Bob

PS: I'm counting vintage kits on todays market as well as supplies and sundries and new kits.

I don't even know where to strat my calculations. Much of the collection of kits I have are either ones I bought buying out collections, when I was a swap meet dealer, or were bought with the proceeds of the sale of models, so in the models stash I'm pretty sure I'm in the plus.

tools, and supplies I have with a few exceptions were purchased during that time also so i'm not really sure, but I do know I was pulling in about 60K a year when I was doing that, and from what I saw in my books for those years I averaged about 30K in expenses including aquirening models gas, table fees door prize donations and hotels.

What I currently have in my hobby room is probably worth about 75K retail, and most of it I bought at half price or less, so maybe I have 35K invested in what I currently have.

I don't even know where to strat my calculations. Much of the collection of kits I have are either ones I bought buying out collections, when I was a swap meet dealer, or were bought with the proceeds of the sale of models, so in the models stash I'm pretty sure I'm in the plus.

tools, and supplies I have with a few exceptions were purchased during that time also so i'm not really sure, but I do know I was pulling in about 60K a year when I was doing that, and from what I saw in my books for those years I averaged about 30K in expenses including aquirening models gas, table fees door prize donations and hotels.

What I currently have in my hobby room is probably worth about 75K retail, and most of it I bought at half price or less, so maybe I have 35K invested in what I currently have.

WOW.....That my Friend is....Well i am just lost for words...Amazing i must add though....Thanks..

You must be in the number one spot out of the top ten....Can anybody surpass this amount? Let's hear from ya...Thanks and Cheers to All... B)

Thousands, I am afraid to even try and figure it out.

430+ plastic kits.

30 resin figure kits at $100 or more a pop.

1 1/2 huge plastic boxes of resin bits

21 RC electric helicopters

1 RC .50 nitro heli with all the bling, probably $2000.00 to replace.

5 RC electric heli kits

5 RC air radios

1 RC ground radio

3 RC cars 1 of which has every up grade known to man and was over a $1500.00 investment alone when it was all said and done.

15 RC airplane kits many expensive scale kits

35 laser cut stick and tissue kits

1 small lathe

1 small mill

1 drill press

1 dremel press

1 full sized paint booth

3 work benches

3 tool boxes full of tools

photo etching equipment and resin casting equipment

oh and last year my wife decided I needed a train so I have a few hundred dollars wrapped up in a small N-scale layout.

about 10 years ago it was estimated at $14,000.00 replacement cost for insurance purposes. It has grown considerably since then and there is a $40k clip on it.

I too, don't get anything at full retail. For many years I worked in the industry and go a lot of stuff at employee discounts, and since I have used coupons, buy used, or discount things. So the actual cash investment is a lot less than the retail replacement value.

Edited by CAL

WOW.....That my Friend is....Well i am just lost for words...Amazing i must add though....Thanks..

You must be in the number one spot out of the top ten....Can anybody surpass this amount? Let's hear from ya...Thanks and Cheers to All... B)

I know for a fact I'm not even close to the #1 spot. Over the years I've gotten to visit, or see pictures of the stashes and hobby rooms of other modelers both on and off these forums, and I'm not even close to their level. One guy I visited last winter if I had to hazzard a guess, just off the top of my head I would value his collection at 100K or more.

There is one guy i saw on here or another forum that built a whole separate building in his back yard just for model building. There are a couple of local builders who have twice what I have easy, and probably paid a lot more for it too.

If it hadn't been for being in the business and being able to get the stuff on the cheap, I would never have been able to amass what I have. Here is a pic and a link to pictures of my hobby room.

IMG_2269-vi.jpg

http://public.fotki.com/ashevillemodeler/model_car_stuff/the-new-hobby-room/

i have no clue???got my grand father's models,my dad's models,and my models packed tight in a mobil home i use for storage - and i mean packed tight to the celing minus the kitchen and dinning room thats full of old bmx bikes and engins mostly 340's and a copple 421 SD's and just enouf room in kitchen for a fridge (for beer its a dry county)and my dad's hog for winter storage - talkin about it makes me wish i was back in KY but im up hear in MI

oh yea!here in mi i have 93 kits - 4 car bashing boxes and 2 big rig bashing boxes and i only brought 20 kits+hand tools - been hear 14 months now - been trading and selling my old kits and bying new ones lol - hear i got about $1200 tyed up in it with a new air brush i allmost never use lol

my prized models hear = mpc 71& 72 grand prix's, amt 62 buick special waggon, jo-han 66 amc flat box,63 fury,s/c scrambler,heavenly herse,62 dart.

in KY??? my jo-han kits,my mpc pro-stock sets,my tom daneils brinx,69 issu bad man and the red vette (califorina vette ??)and yellow vette (looks like a wagon based off the red kit)

Edited by a/gass

At last estimate some years ago I was well into the 30K+ range. I have over 700 kits...many more airplane kits than car kits. Most of the airplane kits are at least $30 - $50 with many over $100. Add to that all the aftermarket detail sets, the 300+ decal sheets, the hundreds of bottles of paint, the tools, the reference books (omigawd I have too many of those) etc etc and it adds up fast. Of course this is the result of being back in the hobby for over 20 years....since 1990 or so...

I ought'a do a real inventory someday..... NOT!

Most adult modelers who have been active in the hobby for many years can't possibly estimate how much they've spent over the years...unless they were so totally anal that they saved every receipt!

I would guess that the average guy who's been active in the hobby for 10, 20, 30 or more years would have spent enough by now to have paid for a new car, at least. Maybe more. Maybe a lot more.

i have to ask, does it really matter?

Nope!

keeps me out of trouble and the missus happy that I am out of trouble. She squeaks a little when I drag a new kit home but just a little.

Most adult modelers who have been active in the hobby for many years can't possibly estimate how much they've spent over the years...unless they were so totally anal that they saved every receipt!

I would guess that the average guy who's been active in the hobby for 10, 20, 30 or more years would have spent enough by now to have paid for a new car, at least. Maybe more. Maybe a lot more.

Yeah, never save receipts, receipts are evidence ... if my wife knew half of it... well okay she probably know about half but that's it. :unsure:

Actually have been trying to figure this out for a while now, Can tell you exactly how much for 2010.

$414.52

Nick

I've spent more than that on aftermarket goodies for just one model!

I guess the amount of $$$ we spend on the hobby varies a lot!

Actually have been trying to figure this out for a while now, Can tell you exactly how much for 2010.

$414.52

Nick

I've spent more than that on aftermarket goodies for just one model!

I guess the amount of $$$ we spend on the hobby varies a lot!

That ain't nothing, I spent more than that at the Pittsburgh show I went to last month, and that ain't the only time I've blown that much on models in just one day!!

In just kit alone I know I have somewhere around $4500.00 invested. If I sat down and figured out every little detail ie: resin parts and bodies, photoetch, displays and such I would probably end up on the floor grasping my chest...