Model Cars Magazine Forum

STYRENE ADDICT DRAG STRIP CRANKYHEAD

Dr. Cranky

All right, folks, I am just having fun . . . going crazy painting all the little parts and then setting up the main elements so that I can see what this is looking like . . .

I am still far from finished, but I'm just tickled silly that this thing looks so different and weird, thank to that original drawing by Nate Greco.

5-vi.jpg

The body is done as far as weathering . . . I didn't want it to get so grungy, but the paint looked way too bright and new after I had applied the decals, so I added a few pin washes, some filters, and a few rust streaks . . .AND, of course, the modified fenders from a 49 Mercury and the headlights. I still have to do a few touch ups and add some dirt to the headlights, etc . . .

005-vi.jpg

7-vi.jpg

003-vi.jpg

3-vi.jpg

The white walls are way too bright, but everything will come together once I get the whole thing done and then I can do some subtle weathering with the airbrush.

Here's the freshly painted engine with some of the wiring done. I'm just mocking it to make EYEGORE continue to do his funky chicken dance.

8-vi.jpg

I gotta finish the engine and then weather it, although I would like for the engine to look newer than the rest of the build. I think it offers up a nice contrast between the body and the front of the vehicle.

008-vi.jpg

10-vi.jpg

Your imagination is showing Doc........I love the thing, good stuff indeed! Everytime I look at it I want to move the tranny back and stick another Hemi in there just for giggles.

You know, that's not a bad idea . . . I think another one of these with two engines on it would be so cool. How does one connect two engines?

Love it love it love it. I just got your book. You did a awesome job. Thanks doc you turned me into a rust head. Lol

Rylan, thanks for the support. I hope you get a lot out of it. It was a labor of love between Doctor Cranky and EYEGORE. Yes, you are now officially a CRANKYHEAD!

LONG LIVE RUST!

After a long, hard day, we are rounding the corner on this build. I still have to do the battery and the lines from the transmission to the shifter . . .

And a few other things . . . but I have a rolling chassis and a few other details . . .

002-vi.jpg

003-vi.jpg

004-vi.jpg

Most of you already know that when it comes to engines and transmissions I know zilch, nothing, nada . . . so most of this stuff is gizmology at best, but hey, it's only styrene fun, right?

The holes you see on the blower are for perhaps a few more lines . . . where they will go or lead, not even EYEGORE knows! :lol:

Those old scuba tanks are WARHAMMER 40K goodies . . . and some watch parts:

005-vi.jpg

Nitrous? Mabye.

006-vi.jpg

8-vi.jpg

I am done for the night and there will be more progress tomorrow . . . please stay tuned in!

Great Work Virgil. This is going to be the Wildest Dragster around. I was just thinking about ordering some of the AK weathering, You have convinced me to try it, the Chipping agent intriges me.

A light wash of Valejo Brown ink should tone down the white walls and make them look like they are showing signs of being out in the weather a lot, but you probably already Knew that.

CHEERS!

Tom

The Doctor did it again... Been through the topic, checked the details and I'll do it at least a few more times 'cuz it's inspirational and gave me quite a few things to think about...

Love the progress, the idea, the looks of this monster... Rock on!

Thanks, you CRANKYHEADS. Yes, it's been fun. Hopefully I will be able to get some work done, although the wife is sick with one of those 24 hour viruses and I hope I don't get it.

Thank you all for the support, comments, and wonderful suggestions.

Stay tuned in for more . . .

All right, got all the details and gizmology done on this one. I applied a few pin washes, but these pictures reveal I need to go in and clean up in some areas, it's too heavy, but I like the way it is looking so far . . .

3-vi.jpg

LOL, don't as me how the transmission works, but EYEGORE loves the plumbing!

002-vi.jpg

I toned down those bright white walls with a bit of medium gray . . . and airbrushed it on . . . thinned . . .

4-vi.jpg