Model Cars Magazine Forum

your work bench

Hey Charlie, If you did manage to get that guy to trade his shop for 'your' house.....where would your parents live ?

That....is their problem! :lol:

Actually, my mom has an apartment now because she can't handle the stairs in our house, so I suspect they'd just move back in with each other, like I've been trying to get them to do, one place or another.

Charlie Larkin

Heres a pic of mine, nice and empty lol. im just getting my room put together as everything was buried in boxes in the basement for the last 5 years since we moved in to our house. I just never had the motivation to clean out the room I was gonna to put it in as we had so much stuff packed in it.

Best thing about this desh I got it about a week ago for FREE!! ill post up more pics when the room is done.

IMG_20140220_2136492_zpse80ef278.jpg

IMG_20140220_2134581_zpsd9b69db2.jpg

Edited by stang_crazy

After reading Gary's original post, I have posted my work area photos before, so I thought I would post my storage cabinets photos. This is where I store my paint. The cabinets are steel and came from a Texaco gas station that closed in 1975, the Blue cabinet originally held Oil Seals, and now holds paint , both bottle an spray. The red tool box was the first tool box I ever purchased, it now holds bottle paint, and My evergreen styrene. The lower yellow cabinet held ignition parts and now holds automotive paint. The quarts of Candy Apple lacquer are 38 years old and still good and useable. Some of my bottle paints are 20 years old. The trick to saving paint is don't let it freeze, and rotate the paint a couple times a year. The paint in the tool box is upside down, it helps to keep pigment suspended. I also picked up a Small Testors Paint rack from a hardware store going out of business, where I store modelcar spray cans.

post-7796-0-01976600-1393766151_thumb.jp

post-7796-0-62887800-1393766165_thumb.jp

post-7796-0-32650500-1393766191_thumb.jp

post-7796-0-02765700-1393766203_thumb.jp

post-7796-0-03681400-1393766219_thumb.jp

post-7796-0-30083000-1393766233_thumb.jp

My new work space that's a work in progress, I have a finished 2nd floor that we don't use so i decided to make it my hobby/computer room. I always wanted to have counter tops for a work bench, so i went to lowes today and picked up 2 on clearance, with those and some 2x4's i have a little over $200 in the bench. it's 10ft each way, so make for plenty of work space. Once i make some more progress i will update. Plan's are to make the far left the work area , in the middle where the 2 halves join will be my lathe and mill and the far right will be the paint booth.

7-vi.jpg

005-vi.jpg

Before ya know it itll be so overtaken with projects youll have to add another addition lol.

My new work space that's a work in progress, I have a finished 2nd floor that we don't use so i decided to make it my hobby/computer room. I always wanted to have counter tops for a work bench, so i went to lowes today and picked up 2 on clearance, with those and some 2x4's i have a little over $200 in the bench. it's 10ft each way, so make for plenty of work space. Once i make some more progress i will update. Plan's are to make the far left the work area , in the middle where the 2 halves join will be my lathe and mill and the far right will be the paint booth.

7-vi.jpg

005-vi.jpg

My new work space that's a work in progress, I have a finished 2nd floor that we don't use so i decided to make it my hobby/computer room. I always wanted to have counter tops for a work bench, so i went to lowes today and picked up 2 on clearance, with those and some 2x4's i have a little over $200 in the bench.

Very nice space! I'm meaning to use the same kind of counters in my model room in the near future. Your room looks like my den in my first house, which was a cape cod style home. When we bought the house, the room had been a teenagers room sometime in the past so the entire room, ceiling and all was painted black with glow in the dark / black light accents. When we got the house, someone said the room looked like a place where they shot up dope, so it got the name "The Dope Room". Even after I spent time to paint the many coats of white to cover it, the room never lost the name!

Edited by Tom Geiger

101_6806_zpse4de160d.jpg

open these here closet doors and ......

wa la!! ta da!!

101_6805_zpsac8126b3.jpg

my newly relocated hobby area.... i've now been setup in the closet!!

desk is a wreck of projects right now need to organize bad!!

101_6804_zps4f7c21af.jpg

a nice part of my stash is directly above me while i work :)

i'm picking away at ALL of them!!

101_6803_zpse8a3345c.jpg

I don't have a super big work area, but it's all I need. this is the spare room that we have. So it's got a lot of stuff in it we don't have room for anywhere else (Weight bench, Drumset, and my Racing sim. setup). the closet next to the desk is where I'm going to put a spray booth at. It's going to be a cheap spray booth. Just a "toy box" sized tote, and some computer fans going out the side of it, with an air filter.

The black drawers hold my paints, glues, polishes, etc. and my Decals, tape, and Sandpaper in plastic bags to keep them in good shape.

I use Tissue paper over a piece of cardboard to keep the desks actual surface as clean as possible, but the rest of the desk isn't much of a worry to me. we picked up the desk from a garage sale for $10.

(The car on the desk is a sneak peak at what I'm working on right now. ;) )

post-12149-0-03745700-1394511419_thumb.j

Edited by Mizozuman2