Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1940 Custom Pick Up--Coming Soon

Dr. Cranky

so what if it's the same version as the last reissue? not all of us have stashed unbuilts from the era, and regardless of the mixed styles and simplistic details, it builds up nice and straight and won't present an unsurmountable challenge for novice builders to produce a decent shelf sitter. if we make young builders shy away from this kit, Revell might be inclined to second-think more reissues later.....

the "young" builders are probably mostly all in thier 30's. there are some younger than that but it's not a whole lot.

I do wonder what the age range breakdown of active modelers are...when I go to shows or swap meets, the majority of the crowd seems to be 50+.

Rob, I think you are probably right. My experience is that this is a hobby for the middle ages! LOL. Every once in a while I see kits and a few teenagers. I think sometimes you get guys in their early twenties hooked . . . but it's getting rare these days.

I built the Re- issue that was a Red plastic several years ago. Course I once had the Original Teal Stock/ Rod of years ago too. The hood never was a strong point on that kit nor were the operating windows either . I was able to raid parts of A M T kits to replace the long gone stock truck I had from years ago. Careful sanding can remove the lovers on the tailgate. The hood lovers came off easily and The side pipe ends molded with in the running boards wern't too much of a bother . Making a stock seat was a breeze . Simply fill the Pleated pattern smooth .

This truck lends itself well to raiding of parts from other kits . A 59 A B Flathead can be made from any A M T kit and still "Look " right . Use yer imagination a little !

TAMSShow2010089-vi.jpg

Look at the lower Left corner , the 40 Ford waits patiently against the building .

Ed Shaver

The hood never was a strong point on that kit nor were the operating windows either.

I noticed the side windows on the Revell link picture. Are they truly operational or are they posable?

I forgot this kit was released as part of the Monogram Classics line a few years ago, too:

1940%20Ford%20pickup%20blauw.jpg