Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Build In A Long Time

This is my first finished model kit (1/16 Revell CJ-7 Renegade) in longer than I can remember. I built this kit just to see if I could still competently build a model. I kept it simple, box stock. Left the body in the molded color and brush painted the details. Didn't even clean up the mold lines.

I learned that I have shaky hands. Makes detailing a challenge. I was steadying my hand with my fingers braced like a pinstriper and lots of concentration. I also used my magnifier a lot. Older eyes.

I also found that this is not a very good kit. There are unused holes in the body. The windshield is supposed to lay down on the hood. After installation of the wipers that doesn't happen and when the sideview mirrors are installed, the problem is compounded even more. The chrome was lousy. Large areas unplated. The wheels were the only decent chrome. Part fitment wasn't bad.

I learned some lessons. Which was my purpose in this build. The next will be much better. It will probably be awhile before I'm to the level of some I've seen here. But I think, with time and guidance from you all, I'll improve. I have fairly thick skin, so if there is something you see that needs improvement or a suggestion, don't be bashful.

th_Revell116thJeepCJ-7Renegade12resized.jpg

th_Revell116thJeepCJ-7Renegade9resized.jpg

th_Revell116thJeepCJ-7Renegade7resized.jpg

th_Revell116thJeepCJ-7Renegade4resized.jpg

All in all, I'm pleased with the outcome.

Thanks for lookin' at my build. I truly appreciate it!

Have A Great Day!!!