Model Cars Magazine Forum

TOP FIVE REASONS WHY YOU ATTEND MODEL CAR SHOWS

Doctor Cranky is preparing an article on ATTENDING MODEL CAR SHOWS and he is interested to find out your TOP REASONS for going to model car shows.

You don't have to list all five. Thank you in advance for being a part of another Lab-RAT-ory Experiment!

Best, Doctor Cranky

mad-scientist2.jpg

Virgil,

The #1 reason, I like to attend shows, is to catch up with friends I've made through the years

attending the shows. #2, is to sell off some of my excess kits. Several years ago I realized I had

more kits than I could build in 3 lifetimes. So I began taking the ones I knew i would never get to

with me to shows. I sell them in order to buy new ones, kind of a model cars circle of life thing.

#3 is to show off any current builds I may have. I prefer the non-competitive NNL format shows

but I attend any kind. #4 is a chance for our model club ( RAMS ) to do things as a group. #5 is

to promote the hobby with the kids, My 2 youngest ( 12 and 16 yoa) come with me and love the times

we have at the shows. I have 2 grandsons that are almost ready to attend their first show.

Rick in Richmond

5. Jackassery and Tom Fool Boobery

4. Stuff (old kits, parts, resin, decals, etc)

3. 3 beer lunches with friends

2. ROAD TRIP!

And the numero uno reason to attend a model car show is...

1. Inspiration and motivation

winning a trophy is kinda cool too, but it doesn't compare to annoying the wait staff at a restaurant by asking for the "swearing" section and having to leave a good tip because your party was so loud!

Cranky, you should know why I attend a show . I go to see what aftermarket stuff is available . Look, I have gotten burned on Evil Bay and Krak List both . Ive had to darn near sue Pay Pal to resolve a ongoing credit card dispute wherein they CONTINUALLY charge me monthly for services NOT rendered . Yes, it's nice showing off something I've spent a year or so doing . Still, I see first hand what a winner looks like. Ed Shaver

Top five:

1. I like models.

2. I have a lot of friends in this hobby and I love seeing them again.

3. Swap meet. I like that I can pick up stuff that is unusual.

4. The playboy playmates signing calenders. (OK this was only at the Syracuse Motorama, when I was a kid, and technically it wasn't in the model contest room, but still...)

5. gives me a happy reason to take a road trip.

Tampa this weekend will be only my 4th model show in over 40 years. I like attending shows to -

1. See fellow modelers

2. Check out builds for ideas/inspiration

3. Ask how modelers did a certain technique

4. Sell some Crazy Scale Auto Parts resin

5. Look for the bikini contest

Okay, I'll get long-winded on this one. Just don't tell Harry willya?

1. Inspiration

2. Vendors (old stuff and new stuff and supplies stuff all in one room!)

3. Model people

4. It helps support clubs, and

5. Gets me out of the house for most of a day (good for Mrsspex...)

1st. Ideas, tips, tricks, etc.

2nd. Meeting friends

3rd. Seeing other builds in live.

4th. Cheap? glue bombs, or kits.

5th. Aftermarket goodies.

I'm not sure, which one (4th or 5th) is better reason, but both are good. :D

Top five reasons I don't attend shows, model car or other:

1. There are other people

2. I may have to talk to them

3. We have nothing in common apart from a hobby

4. I have to use public toilets

5. The coffee is usually as atrocious as it is expensive

I've never been to a model car show. That's going to change next month. My GOOD friend is coming in from Reno, NV with some of his show cars. We're goin' to ModelZona 2011 at the Commemorative Air Force Museum at Falcon Field in Mesa, AZ.

So, friends is a real good reason for goin'. Seein' some cool builds. Meetin' people and makin' new friends. Seein' what's new.

AND at this show I get to see one of my other loves, WWII aircraft. Woo! Hoo! Should be a real good time!