Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac GTO

mrmike

I discovered this TV show last year on TNT called Memphis Beatand the lead character is Det. Dwight Hendricks played by actor Jason Lee, formerly of My Name Is Earl. Det. Hendricks mode of transportation is a '64 GTO. After much research, I found that the GTO used in the pilot episode was actor Jason Lee's personal car and after the pilot was completed, the car was pretty much trashed and required 5 months to repair. It is a 1964 GTO with a 389 CI 4-bbl. and an automatic trans. Mine will be tri-powered with a 4-speed since I would have to rework the console, change the intake to a 4-barrel carb and find an auto trans and I can't be bothered at this time. The Producers found another GTO, though some chatter says it is either a Tempest or a Lemans. Some have noticed the lack of emblems or badging and therefore questioned the authenticity of the car. To me, it is a copy of Jason Lee's GTO and IIRC, that one had no badging either.

1964GTO00.jpg

I got the Monogram '64 GTO from a fellow Classic Plastic Model Club member. The downside to this kit is the red plastic it is molded in. The wheels are from the AMT '69 Torino Cobra and the tires are from my parts box. 1964GTO01.jpg

My paint will be Model Master Silver Blue Metallic Lacquer.

1964GTO02.jpg

More to come...

I thought that Memphis Beat was a pretty good show. Something that wasn't too heavy to watch on a summer's evening. I just read online that Memphis Beat was cancelled by TNT, due to low ratings. At least I'll have something to remember the show by.

Always loved the '64 GTO - built one about 25 years ago, I think I was in junior high at the time. I have another (red) kit too.

I'll be following along. Let's hope the Polar Lights vs Monogram debate stays out of the picture (don't think of an elephant).

Thanks for starting the post Mike.

I thought that Memphis Beat was a pretty good show. Something that wasn't too heavy to watch on a summer's evening. I just read online that Memphis Beat was cancelled by TNT, due to low ratings. At least I'll have something to remember the show by.

That's unfortunate. I'll just have to wait for it all to come out on video, then.

Charlie Larkin

The original ads show a Chevelle SS instead of the GTO due to the GTO not being available for the photoshoot at the time. By the end of filming the pilot episode, the GTO, which is Jason Lee's personal car, was pretty trashed by the production crew. A second GTO was found for use during the rest of the production. AS far as the AMT/Polar Lights vs. Monogram debate goes, there is no room for it here and I have no interest in it. I have my Monogram kit and that does it for me!

This looks like it is gonna be a nice build. Michael, you might want to check out the AMT Resto Rods '66 Nova. The wheels that come with it may be a little closer to what you want. This site no longer has them but, gives you an idea of what I am talking about.

http://www.hobbylinc...mt/amt38373.htm

Edited by Skydime

I have seen some of your other builds(buy the way, great models!) in this forum, and I'm looking forward to lots of updates and pictures on this build. I started the "Best kit for '64 GTO thread", and had no I idea what would end up happening(touchy subject), but I did see alot of great '64 GTO models and learned alot! I plan on building a '64 GTO too, in the near future.

Paul

This looks like it is gonna be a nice build. Michael, you might want to check out the AMT Resto Rods '66 Nova. The wheels that come with it may be a little closer to what you want. This site no longer has them but, gives you an idea of what I am talking about.

http://www.hobbylinc...mt/amt38373.htm

Ken, I have settled on the wheels from the Torino Cobra kit as the appear to be the correct type of wheel for this build. Thanks for letting me know about the wheels in the '66 Nova though.

Paul, I read through your thread and there are some nice GTOs posted. And, I'm sure everyone has their favorite kit for their build for whatever reason that they have. When I found this kit, the price was right, all the pieces were there, and I knew that it looked like a GTO and if there are an differences in the body shape compared to other kits, I just don't care. To me it looks like a GTO and that is all that matters. I am not a "rivet counter" like other would be. If it's close, I'm happy!

Mike, THAT'S the WHOLE idea of this hobby, do it to ENJOY it. If YOU like it, WHO CARES who else doesn't. It's gonna sit on YOUR shelf, so only YOU have to be happy with it! I'm sure it'll be just as nice as anything you've built before. Your a good builder and this one shouldn't be any different, regardless of what others may think. Me, Imma scale bigot, and I've never had a Mongram 64 GTO. I've got an original AMT 64 Tempest LeMans, and the Polar lights 64 an they both built up nice for me. :);)

Thanks Carl! And, welcome to MCM!

George, as far as I am concerned, if you are going to nick-pick a kit, you are not enjoying the hobby. I have built a few kits that were not completely accurate looking and I enjoyed building each one of them. One kit that I enjoyed building very much was the re-issued '70 AAR 'Cuda. I saw all the things that were wrong with it and I still built a good looking model. I use to be a scale bigot, but if there is a subject that I want to build...I'll build it and build it to my satisfaction.

Mark, I was a bit disappointed when I found out that the show was filmed in New Orleans instead of Memphis. I felt the same when I started watching Rizzoli And Isles, which takes place in Boston, but is actually filmed in Hollywood. So far though, they seem to be getting names of portions of Boston correct. It would be better if they actually filmed in Boston, but I guess that would be too expensive. Spenser For Hire was cancelled in 1988 because ABC said it was too expensive to to shoot the series in Boston.

OK Mark...here we go! I started on the GTO this afternoon by doing general cleanup of mould lines and flash which were minimal.

1964GTO03.jpg

Since Dwight's GTO is a hardtop and the kit is a coupe, I removed the door and window frames.

1964GTO04.jpg

And now, the part that I am not too fond off...hiding all that red plastic! This is several light coats of Kilz Sealer/Primer. This stuff is thick so wet sanding is in order when this stuff is dry. Not only did I do the body, but all the parts from the kit minus the chrome plated parts.

1964GTO05.jpg

More to come...

I echo what Sam says...............put several coats of Future over it and that should put the kibosh on any further bleeding of that red plastic. Years ago, I did Monogram's '56 T-Bird that was molded in red, and I wanted a lighter color (Thunderbird Blue for a '55). I used Future on the bare plastic before primer. No problems with bleed through, and I've had it for 10+ years now.

Well, at this point, the red is bleeding through the primer and I am not too sure how to proceed next. Strip the primer? Maybe I'll paint it flat black and then primer over the black? Or strip it and get some Future and then go from there? I could use a lttle advice.

Mike, others have had very good luck with sealing the red/obnoxious body color with Future, then a few light coats of primer. I have 3 bodies treated to that right now, and with one of the bodies in white primer, the red plastic dye hasn't tinted it yet.

Based on that, I would say strip the primer to bare plastic, shoot a layer or two of Future down, then apply and work your primer coats.

Edited by whale392