Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frank Baron's Chopped '36 Ford 3-Window Shop Car

Bernard Kron

DSCF5000-web.jpg

Frank Baron's Chopped '36 Ford 3-Window Coupe Shop Car - A flight of fancy

First off, this car never existed; it’s a pure flight of fancy. But Frank Baron and Bob Tattersfield did exist, and they were the first to successfully market a 4 carburetor manifold for the Ford Flathead, along with an innovative set of cylinder heads which utilized unique pop up pistons for increased efficiency and compression. All this was in 1948 while they ran their immaculately turned out and beautiful belly tank at the dry lakes. Bob Tattersfield came from a well to do family which manufactured auto parts (that’s how he got involved with Frank in their speed equipment enterprise). Bob was, to use an expression of the period, “Hollywood”, a flashy guy who liked fast, flashy cars and the lifestyle to go with it. Frank Baron came from a more modest background. He was all business and liked to keep a low profile, although he liked to go very fast just as much as Bob did.

Nobody makes a scale 4 carb setup for the flathead, either in kit form or in the aftermarket. I’ve always wanted one and last year a modeling friend was kind enough to cast up a few and give me some (he will remain anonymous because he doesn’t want to go into the resin business). So, with the manifold in hand, I wondered what if a little of Bob Tattersfield had rubbed off on Frank Baron and he had built a shop car that was as slick as the lakester he shared with Bob. This model is the result. The historical Frank Baron wouldn’t be caught dead in a car like this, but it sure would have been an eye-catcher running around L.A. in 1948. The address for Baron Automobile Service is real, BTW. It’s where you went to have your Tattersfield-Baron hop up equipment installed after you bought it from the factory that Bob’s dad owned.

The car is based on an AMT ’36 Ford 5-window kit with a Jimmy Flintstone chopped 3-window body. Here are the details along with more pictures.

Basic kit: All parts from an AMT ’36 Ford 5 window coupe except as noted below.

Jimmy Flintstone chopped ’36 Ford 3-window coupe body.

’40 Ford bumpers from AMT kit.

Stock hubcaps with AMT ’49 Ford trim rings.

Whitewall tires by Modelhaus

Resin 4 carburetor manifold

Model Car Garage resin Offenhauser cylinder heads.

Stromberg 97 carburetors by Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland.

Air cleaners are taillights from 2 AMT ’34 Ford 5-window coupe kits.

Tail pipes and water pipes were scratch built from polished aluminum tubing.

Exterior paint is Duplicolor Oxford White with home made decals, sealed with Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic.

Interior colors are Testors Acryl Leather and British Crimson.

Thanx for lookin,

B.

DSCF4989-web.jpg

DSCF5013-web.jpg

DSCF5010-web.jpg

DSCF5003-web.jpg

DSCF4997-web.jpg

DSCF5004-web.jpg

DSCF5023-web.jpg

Interior-Web.jpg

Thanx for all the props, guys. It's especially welcome from some of my favorite builders! I am humbled and flattered. The encouragement is always much appreciated. B):)

Dominik, How I missed that during photography I'll never know. :angry: The right rear fender popped out slightly. Probably as a result of the thicker Flintstone resin body dropping down the interior shell and putting the body in tension against the fenders. Time to get out the heavy rubber bands and epoxy,,,, Fingers crossed I don't mess up the paint - and that it hasn't spoiled it too badly for folks looking at it... :unsure:

Great build again Bernard! I like seeing these Nostalgic styled build also! Paintjob looks very good, and I like the decals on this. Wheels and tires are great too. Engine detailing is amazing and there's no big mistakes. Thanks for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...