Model Cars Magazine Forum

Back on the Bench! CBP

Jantrix

Welcome everyone to the Back on the Bench CBP aka The BOB Project aka Too Many Projects Anonymous!

The goal here is to get that long languishing project off the shelf and back on it's way to the "On the Shelf" section. It doesn't matter whether it's been sitting for a few months or since the Nixon administration. This CBP is open to ANY kind of model, built any way you want. Military, trucks, mecha............whatever. It doesn't matter whether the project needs one more part added or one thousand. There are no rules, no addendums, no fine print. No end date.

The whole idea here is to get the model back on the work bench and get motivated on it again. For me at least, sometimes it's a creative or mechanical block/issue that puts the model on the shelf. This is where you can ask and get feedback to hopefully get those issues resolved and get cranking (or Crankying) again. Being in a CBP always helps keep me motivated because I've other people involved, wanting to see the final product.

No permission of any sort is required for this CBP, just post up some pics and get to it. We're glad to have you.

It's time to go through the collection and make a list of the WIP builds collecting dust and make a priority list. Here's mine. I intend to finish all before starting anything new, so with the new Hudson and 48 Ford in my sights that's some good motivation.

Here's my list.

AMT '53 Stude Carrera Panamericana racer

AMT 49/50 Ford custom

Revell '49 Merc (pirate theme build)

AMT '57 Ford Fairlane convertible (resto-mod)

Revell '65 Mustang Fastback pro-tourer

AMT '69 Riviera lowrider

Custom Predicta-Black Force Batmobile

Edited by Jantrix

Mine will be-

'32 Chevy Panel Delivery Gasser, done up in 'barn find' style

AMT '32 Ford three-window coupe conversion

'62 Buick Invicta bubbletop

'66 Packard Custom

Ford Transit

And this list may be added/subtracted to at any moment! :lol:

But these are my long-running, 'wanna get this done but just can't somehow' projects.

AMT '53 Stude Carrera Panamericana racer

Please, please tell me you have enough focus and energy to get this one finished. I've wanted to do or see this done for a long time. Love the car and the race, so....get crackin' NOW!

I'll be watching you folks but I won't be participating because I don't let projects languish (that sound you hear is me using my third arm to pat myself on the back!).

Curtis, the Stude is also my entry in the Cannonball CBP on another forum and it's due by Dec 1. So at this moment it is my ONLY priority.

Here's where i am now. Corvette stinger hood scoop. '68 Corvette running gear and 427 engine. She's in primer right now, with a little sanding still to be done to make the hood scoop look like it was supposed to be there.

Picture023.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Rob, that Studebaker is very interesting! Harri Rovenperä from Finland has won La Carrera Pan Americana once with '53 Studebaker. With this car:

20101025_6074.jpg.jpg

I might jump in, but I have to check first, what I have for this CBP.

There are some nice builds. The Stude with all the "sportoutfit" will come great. I like the Panamerica-Style.

What is traveling from my bench to shelf....

- Tamiya Mercedes Benz DTM "Berlin 2000" as memory for my girlfriends birthplace

- imc Dodge A100 with Deliveryvan Resinbody

- bundle of Johan Turbinecars (1st/3rd issues)

- amt 65 Buick Rivera

- Revell Beach Bonanza (my first ever build kit)

in loooonger parkposition in the shelf

- monogram Ford F-350 duallie PU with scratchmade rollback

- galaxy trailer

- amt 63 Impala (ratlook)

- Tamiya Nissan Fairlady Z (problems with the paint)

- Fujimi Porsche 356 since years

- Revell VW T1 Samba (barnfind, all doors cut out)

- Tamiya 1995 Honda Odyssey (my dailydriver, already painted)

- Italeri Scania 580

Oha....looks bad. And always see an other kit and get tickling fingers...

As long as I don't have to stop and take a photo every inch of the way I'm in. I will include photos just maybe not as many as usual for these things (stopping to take photos has been partially responsible for many of my not completed builds). I've been on a clean off the bench thing recently anyway.

I'm not even going to try and list everything (it would easily reach double digits), but I've got 4 currently being finished up (I hope).

Hasegawa Lancia Stratos, 1975 Safari

Hasegawa Datsun 240Z, 1971 Safari

AMT 1959 Chevrolet El Camino

AMT 1925 Ford Model T

This past weekend I finally finished a Tamiya Alpine Renault 1600 I started almost 4 years ago.

Alright we got some stuff going. Niko photo's like that one are what got me building the Stude as a Panamericana racer, rather than just the street machine I had planned.

Chuck, the Buick looks awesome.

Aaron, we don't really care how often you post up photos, whatever trips your trigger. Like I mentioned, this is just to help renew your interest, and get over hurdles. Not to mention with all these great models coming out soon, we need to make room on the shelves. :lol:

Edited by Jantrix

This is pretty much how this kit has sat for a couple years. I painted the body and started building the interior, then just ran out of steam on it when the Rally Race GB I was participating in fizzled out.

By coincidence I broke this out and started working on it again a few days ago so perfect timing for this build.

Stratos1.jpg

Ok here is the Lancia after 3 days of decaling and about a gallon of Microsol. This is definately a kit to test ones decal skills, everything that is not white is a decal, if it is white there is still about a 50% chance it is a decal. :D

Stratos2.jpg

and the Model T. I started this last spring, just a few bits to go but like many of my projects it kind of stalled at the last minute.

ModelTUSFS1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some sucess on my Studebaker. I was having trouble with the bodywork on the stinger hood scoop spliced into the Stude hood ghosting through the primer. I really hate bodywork. My hat is off to anyone who does flawless work. A quick wetsand and then some Duplicolor Beige Pearl.

2011-11-03211344.jpg

2011-11-03211315.jpg

2011-11-03211223.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Well, I want to finish this one and looking at the pic, one would think that there's not much to do yet.................

2008OhioTripMom058-vi.jpg

P8042556-vi.jpg

What's the problem you ask?? The roof is showing the body-work that was done right down the center! A faux pas on my part as I didn't prep it quite right before painting. It's not super noticeable, but enough that it bothers me a great deal. The only solution for me would be to either take the front and rear glass out and paint/strip everything, or mask off the windows and sand everything down to bare plastic as much as possible, and prime/paint from there.

Also, my '64 Olds 442 is stalled due to another warped resin hood! Between the two, I'll probably finish that one first as I'm going to take a page from KennB and scratch a hood from sheet plastic. ;) Only thing missing may be the lettering, but hey!

Edited by MrObsessive