Model Cars Magazine Forum

Back on the Bench! CBP

Jantrix

The rats looking good Chuck. Been a cool thread, lots of nice builds going on. Well, the Viper turned out to be a not so great kit. Here's how it finished up. The plenum I brushed Alclad for the clamps, foil was a pain.

HPIM4790.jpg

HPIM4791.jpg

HPIM4793.jpg

Then got paint under the headlight lens, tried to pry it off to fix and snapped it in half.

HPIM4797.jpg

Edited by Tim08

Finished it up last night. The body to frame fit is lousy, and once it's on...it's on! Front end sits way too high, and there's a terrible gap between the front deck and dash. It's done, I'll never build one again.

HPIM4819.jpg

All pics under glass.

Edited by Tim08

Thanx Terry, I spent most of the morning retrieving my build pics, don't know what happened at photobucket. All the Viper pics on this, and another site just vanished last night. All of my others are fine, just the Viper. It wasn't a great kit, so I guess it just kept wanting to fight me, even after it was built!

Good job on the Hooters car Tony!

Edited by Tim08

Thanks, Tim. Thanks, Terry. I appreciate the comments...nice to get this one done!! I have several more WIPs to drag back to the bench, but not until I'm ready for them...I've got several newer kits that I've bought in the last while that I'd like to get to, like the Hudson, glue kit and upcoming deluxe Batmobiles, Charger police car and several more I'd like to get to...plus the re-issue of the 1/32 scale Batmobile that I'll be building two of...mine and a friends...that may be the next project to the bench...two-for Batmobile!!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no! It looks like the "back on the bench" builds are going back...into storage?

I finished one kit so I am back to this...

IMG_4807.jpg

Not a whole lot left, and I will glad to be done with this. I am not sure what inspired me in the first place.

Edited by Erik Smith

Dragging out another one- one that I haven't posted before.

01370006933_690294_742360266_n-vi.jpg

It is the AMT '09 Dodge Challenger SRT8 kit, and I'm making it into a phantom '11 Hemi 'Cuda. I just attached the Challenger chin spoiler to the modified nose- which is a combination of the AMT part with the grille and splash apron openings from a Revell '71 grafted in. Eventually it will get the fender 'gills' and taillamp panel from the '71 kit, as well.

Oh no! It looks like the "back on the bench" builds are going back...into storage?

As for myself, we just had a enormous "oh ######" moment at work that has set us back by six months or more. I have had very little free time for building lately and when I do, don't have the energy.

If this CBP tapers off in the coming weeks rest assured that I will bring it back when I have some building time. Be cool.

As for myself, we just had a enormous "oh ######" moment at work that has set us back by six months or more. I have had very little free time for building lately and when I do, don't have the energy.

If this CBP tapers off in the coming weeks rest assured that I will bring it back when I have some building time. Be cool.

I think this will be a perennial "pop back up" thread. I know how it goes Rob, just took me a minute to scroll down and find the thread. That's how I feel about 6 months during the year - right now, not so much. I'll do what I can to keep it alive.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny I should run across this forum just a few days after putting the Roth Mysterion back in the box (again). Maybe it's a sign. I've had the kit since the 80s and have started and stopped it several times. Guess I'll get back on it while the recent work is still fresh. I've got a few other half-builts I could pull out as well. Tune in for more details. :wacko:

I also played around with the grill. I wanted to add a common '50's custom trick to it. Sorry that it looks like a Roulette Wheel in the pics. I was trying to figure out where I wanted to drill and I used fine-tipped Sharpie markers to help with this.

45-vi.jpg

Half way there.....

46-vi.jpg

....And 71 holes later....

47-vi.jpg

I think that grill is very nice, the right look indeed. Another great use for pins!

Yeah, I like that grill! Well done.

Thanks guys. It was a numbing project but I think the end result will be pretty cool. I can't wait to see it when it's all chromed up and ready to go. Thanks again.

Spent some time building instead of web browsing and finally got this done. Here's some pics.

mystpaint.jpg

Bodywork after paint.

mystchasis.jpg

Finished chassis with wired engines.

mysterion.jpg

If you've never attempted this model beware. There is a ton of chrome! Every piece that makes up the frame, suspension, steering etc is chrome. Construction and paint were done per kit instructions and photos I have of the actual car. I added yellow thread to add plug wires. The finished model is quite good looking

Edited by jcbigpaw

• 2 weeks later...