Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Biscayne "Mystery Motor" Z-33

Brutalform

I was thinking about doing a build of the "Sox and Sinclair Service 63 Impala, and then decided to build the mystery motor 427 car instead. I am using a MCW resin kit, and a Revell 2 in 1 kit mostly for the chassis, dash, etc. Decals are from Lucas. I have an old Revell 427 Yenko engine lying around that will be built, and used to resemble the 427 in the real car. So far I gave it Bleech White bath, and started mocking up the wheels, and tires, interior with the roll bar. I should be getting everything in primer, in the next day or two. I am taking my last vacation for the year from my job next week, and I plan on getting a lot done on it.

1963Biscayne2.jpg

Edited by Brutalform

This is an awesome looking car. If you don't mind me saying, I would tuck the rear tire up in the wheel well just a little more. Compare your mock up with 1:1 car. Great project.

Yea Matt, I was actually thinking the same thing. I was playing around with the wheels for a bit, and I think I will take the tops of the rear wheel tubs off and get it to sit a bit lower.

Actually, I wanted to go with these wider rims (pic) all together. This is the Impala body I used for mock up, while the resin was soaking. The rears would fit, but the fronts would stick out no matter how much I sanded the wheel backs down. It just did not look right, but they WOULD look MUCH more like the rims on the 1:1 car. I even planned on adding the rim screws in the rears. On the Impala mock up, the fronts are just sitting there with NO backs. I dunno....maybe I can do some thing with these wider rims on the front, so I can use them as I had planned.

post-6644-0-64955200-1319126777_thumb.jp

Edited by Brutalform

Played around with the rims I wanted to use to begin with. Did not hack the wheel tubs, but sanded down the rear perches a bit. For the front, after using two short metal axles in the kingpins, and sanding the wheel backs real thin, its all looking better now, I think. The wider rims look WAY better...IMO.

Bisc9.jpg

Don't forget to make sure the front sits right too. Where this is a newer car I'm not sure how it is suppose to sit. The pictures in the link give an idea but the angle is hard to tell. When I saw the last picture of your build, it looked a little higher in the back. Cars of this era usually sat higher in the front. Of course I'm not really sure how the 1:1 car sits. Not trying to pick, just trying to help. It's your build, do it how you like and have fun. Feel free to ignore my suggestions. :D

Don't forget to make sure the front sits right too. Where this is a newer car I'm not sure how it is suppose to sit. The pictures in the link give an idea but the angle is hard to tell. When I saw the last picture of your build, it looked a little higher in the back. Cars of this era usually sat higher in the front. Of course I'm not really sure how the 1:1 car sits. Not trying to pick, just trying to help. It's your build, do it how you like and have fun. Feel free to ignore my suggestions. :D

I found another pic of the car. Trying to get it to sit like it is in this pic. I know most of the early sixties drag cars sat high. I even have some resin parts lying around with the front suspension pieces for that mod.

1963Biscayne10.jpg

From what I gather, the current owner must have had this car restored, with a different engine, and possibly changed the way it sat in the front. I do think this is a 'tribute" car, now that it is no longer original. If anyone knows ANYTHING about this car, they can chime in. When I saw a pic of it on Lucas Decals' site, I really wanted to build it. Actually I was thinking of another 63 as well, but decided to do this one.

Thanks for the link to that article Tom, I'd love to see that beast run in person! Looks like you're off to a great start on this one, are you going to try to replicate the interior too?

Yes Mike. Except the roll bar will be "slightly" different. I already removed the radio, and knobs from the dash, that will be replaced with a "biscayne" decal, just like the 1:1 cars interior. I still have to dig up some red seat belt material. I would like to find a plain jane steering wheel as well, as I only have the, fancy, Impala wheel, now. I just might be out of luck on that one though!

Edited by Brutalform

• 4 months later...

I have not worked on the Biscayne for a while, but started to get some things done this weekend. Mostly getting it all mocked up with the chassis and resin interior tub. I have to ger some red ribbon, or some material for some seat belts, and I still have to finish and detail the engine. Also the vacuum formed glass is all trimmed up to fit. At least I have an idea what it should look like overall.

Getting pretty sick and tired everytime I go to buy Tamiya paint...the Government, has to pe a PITA with their labeling guidelines....So, I had to buy some Rustolem Apple Red paint, that is real close to the Tamiya Italian Red, for the interior, and some Rustolem Black Lacquer for the body. I really am thinking about just waiting until March to get the Tamiya Black for the body, though.

photo1.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg