Model Cars Magazine Forum

Surfite! Updated Improvements 2/1/2013

jbwelda

• 1 month later...

so, had some time to spend smoothing up the body a bit more, shooting it white primer in prep for the yellow i will hopefully soon be laying down (i love my airbrush!) and polishing the primer to keep things smooth!

edit: note that hatch on the front is only taped in there! and i see some irregularity in the rear roof posts i hadnt noticed before. give thanks for macro lenses and knowing how to use them!

readyforpaintleft.jpg

readyforpaintrear.jpg

its getting there though and that nasty seam has been filled and smoothed and i have even attempted to give the edge a fairly sharp look.

thanks again for looking!

would probably work just as well as "workbench" photos eh!

Edited by jbwelda

• 2 months later...

hey thanks for bringing this up!

yes i have yellow laid down on it but its in a pretty rough state, i dont do much model work during the summer so i have not been progressing much past that but one of these evenings i will color sand it and get it ready for some clear.

the painting could have gone better. as i mentioned i used my airbrush which while i get more confident every time i use it, i still havent mastered it. the gloss finish i was hoping for out of the brush didnt happen but then i put some reducer into my cup and shot that over the kinda frosted finish and it caused the paint to flow out nicely (or at least nicer), the only problem there being i got a little heavy handed and had a few drops forming on the lower surfaces, so i wicked then off with a bit of paper towel and set it aside to dry and shrink down. i used tamiya acrylic yellow and their reducer and that trick really did work out pretty well though i have not really sat right down in the light and examined the body, but from across the room it looks alright.

thanks again for noticing this thread and bringing it back up, it kinda jars me to get this thing done!

• 2 months later...

well paint just needs a bit of polishing in a couple places (one dirt speck and some minor crinkling of the clear laquer overcoat) and then fill in the window edges with a sharpie, make some acetate windows for front and rear, do something with the indents for accent stripes and taillights, and ought to be good to go.

look for continuing saga in dioramas section if you can find that because i am including Rabbit Fink so i assume that makes this a diorama.

rightrearpaintalmostdon.jpg

rightfrontpaintalmostdo.jpg

leftfrontpaintalmostdon.jpg

What kind of engine is that?

According to the Rod & Custom article, it's an Austin 850 cc engine sitting in Mark I Mini subframes

that Ed Roth welded together to become the frame for the Surfite. The suspension uses the standard

rubber cone "springs" which is another give away that it came out of a plain Jane Mini. Had it have

been out of a Mini Cooper "S" it would have been "wet" hydrolastic suspension and the 948, 1098,

or 1275 cc engine. The Mark I Austin Seven and Morris Mini Minor Minis came standard with 850 cc

engines.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

after a couple months, i decided to do a couple of improvements on the original kit, suggested and executed by my friend Jody when he built the kit some years ago: the real car has three step rail things on the rear deck to step up on to enter the rear window area, the way you get into the thing, and there was a well hidden headlamp underneath the sculped part of the front edge of the body. also i didnt really dig the surfboard theme i had going on there, so i decided to redo that more like the ones that appear in the abundant photos of the car in later years. i think it looks a lot better; great project for pulling out the airbrush.

anyway just thought i would update this thread with some pics i took tonite, will post in the under glass thread when i get done here; still have to do a final clear coat on the board and put it back on the chassis.

theres the single rectangular headlamp down under there:

frontbestheadlamp.jpg

the little step rails on the rear deck:

nicerearlicenseplate.jpg

finally a profile look at the new (original) board design:

rightsideprofile.jpg

MVC003F-vi.jpg

Very cool build! Here's mine. I built it back when the kit was reissued. I didn't have much in the way of reference material, thus the light yellow paint with pearl coat. My favorite part of the build was the Tiki Hut! In speaking with Bob Paeth of Revell, I was able to dispel the rumor a rumor that the Surfite was never reissued due to a spat Revell had with Roth. Bob said that after the initial release, it never got out again because it didn't sell. He also told me that the Tiki Hut was an after thought because the Surfite itself was so small that it looked like you got short changed when you saw the parts in the standard Revell box. So the Tiki Hut was devised to fill up the box! I'm glad they did that.

As you said, the kit was typical Revell of that era. Fiddly with tons of ejector pin marks and mold seams on nearly everything. I stripped down all the suspension parts because of that, and before Alclad, painted it all with Testors Metalizers. I do like that you built yours for the body to come off, there is a lot of detail lost when I you glue it down. I never thought of that, I was so concerned on just getting the darn thing built!

Other challenges are that the interior had a gap around it when you put it into the body. I remember adding plastic around the edge to fix that. And the hood is just a bit of a potato chip! Once you add paint to the body, it didn't fit at all.

Still, it's my favorite Roth car.

Bill, that looks way better man!!! I've Got an "almost" finished one sitting here that I started some twenty years ago, maybe I'll have to finally finish it. If I remember right it went together nicely......Thanks for the inspiration pal!

tom thanks for posting your build in this thread, i love seeing others build of what i am trying. yours turned out real kool too and yeah i love the surf shack, kit wouldnt be the same without it. i had the same issues with the interior bucket leaving spaces between it and the body but i filled them in with my favorite trick: black india ink in 5 minute epoxy flowed into the gaps. works great and you dont even see it.

i didnt think the surfite never got re-issued (back in the day, 90s did see a reissue obviously) because of a spat with roth over something; i was always more believing that when ed became "the supply sargent for the Hells Angels" (according to Look or Life magazine back then in articles on "hippies") Revell cut him loose because he was harming their "family values reputation", which i thought was a pure crockocrap...more like ed was living the rebel image he had cultivated. thats the problem with corporate sponsors of "rebels"...they tend to rebel and corporate types are by definition anything but rebels...and tend to look at rebels when they do what they do best as hot potatoes to get out of their hands asap. at any rate from reading later books on roth it was obvious he was moving way ahead of his time using smaller engines in smaller vehicles along with the choppers and trikes he was building. i have to say i didnt really feel it back then too much but in later years his genius became more apparent. just the fact this surfite was based on an austin mini when no one here hardly even knew what that was, came to me as a revelation. pure genius that guy. now i wish revell would engineer some of his later cars like that one he drove up to alaska in or even the yellow fang dragster!

Edited by jbwelda