Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stacey David's Rat Roaster by : REVELL

Greg Myers

More than likely a case of the Canadian distributor not seeing the appeal of a kit of a car from a TV show that might not even air on Canadian TV. Does it air up there?

Who is the Canadian distributor, anyway?

Don't know which distributor my LHS uses. The show does air up here.

Don't know which distributor my LHS uses. The show does air up here.

Just wondering. I work for a US distributor. I don't think Revell has a single sole-source Candadian distributor/importer, I think they have several smaller ones. It wouldn't surprise me if there were licensing issues, it does cost money for both parties, the liscensee and licensor, so working out a deal for the US and a separate deal for Canada might have been more than they were willing to take on. But there's nothing to stop it from being sold at retail in Canada, but there might be something to stop it from being sold wholesale in Canada. Wouldn't surprise me either way, if it were true, or it was just that particular dist covering thier *** as to why they didn't buy the kit. Nothing in this business surprises me anymore...

Good news: after stopping into pretty much every local hobby shop since the kit started to ship weekly, finally got my Rat Roaster kit- got a call to pick it up this morning.

Bad news: the hobby shop who called told me when I picked it up that it isn't licensed to be sold in Canada...the kit wasn't available to be sold through their normal Revell Canadian distributor, so after learning why they couldn't get it they had an alternate (US) distributor ship two kits to the store (so I bought two, more good news). Thank you local hobby shop!

I don't know if Ford or Gearz is responsible for the licensing issue or who exactly needs to be cursed out by Canadian modellers wanting this kit- sounds like online retailers and cross border shoppers are going to be the winner rather than our local hobby shops for those willing to make the sale in spite of licensing :(.

Don't know about that, but I have them here, and have gotten them from both my US and Canadian suppliers, so not sure what the issue is, my guess is some LHS owner not knowing what he is talking about and drinking the koolaid that his supplier is feeding him.

There are 3 suppliers in Canada that import Revell, I deal with one in Ottawa.....and no issues getting the kit. Lots on the shelf here at the shop!

• 9 years later...

Wow, what a thread. I got curious when this thread was mentioned in conjunction with the  "kit that won't be named" thread. I've been on this board since about 2008, but not a daily regular until about 6 years ago, so I missed all this hubbub. Apparently I'm a glutton for punishment because i just read through all 19 pages because I am a huge fan of 32 Fords, and also of the Revell series of kits.

The good part about reading through all of this is that it's actually got me wanting to build a rod based on this kit, which previously I had only used as a parts source. The gears are turning

And for those of you that don't know, a modified version of this kit is coming, supposedly by the end of 2022.

2v2aC4T6mxuy9t.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/7/2022 at 5:30 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

Wow, what a thread. I got curious when this thread was mentioned in conjunction with the  "kit that won't be named" thread. I've been on this board since about 2008, but not a daily regular until about 6 years ago, so I missed all this hubbub. Apparently I'm a glutton for punishment because i just read through all 19 pages because I am a huge fan of 32 Fords, and also of the Revell series of kits.

The good part about reading through all of this is that it's actually got me wanting to build a rod based on this kit, which previously I had only used as a parts source. The gears are turning

And for those of you that don't know, a modified version of this kit is coming, supposedly by the end of 2022.

2v2aC4T6mxuy9t.jpg

Now this one I can get into !

2 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Just the Duvall style windshield alone will make it a must have kit for hot rod modelers. 

To me it said, buy when available! 

BTW, just found this pic on the net.... and other info https://www.bastlerzentrale-giessen.de/plastik-modellbau/revell-neuheiten-nk/page-3.html

revell-1932-ford-rat-roadster-14524-712-800x600px.jpg

Edited by Luc Janssens
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

To me it said, buy when available! 

BTW, just found this pic on the net.... and other info https://www.bastlerzentrale-giessen.de/plastik-modellbau/revell-neuheiten-nk/page-3.html

revell-1932-ford-rat-roadster-14524-712-800x600px.jpg

I think this is now a must have. I'll swap in the nailhead from the Model A kits and and build the perfect highboy. 

2 hours ago, Toner283 said:

I wonder if the cycle fenders from the front and the abbreviated fenders for the back survived the retool?

The only stuff that was "retooled" (I mean the parts are new, not modified out of the old parts) are the Duval windshield, exhaust and the interior pieces which were specifically designed for the show.

If you look at the CAD poster which is further up the page it shows the cycle fronts and rear quarter fenders in that rendition. 

13 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

Ed Sexton was at the Milwaukee NNL today with a number of new release test shots and graciously answering questions. The revisions to the rat rod look really nice. 

IMG_20220409_154432229.jpg

Judging by the photo, I would have to agree- very nice revisions.