Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stacey David's Rat Roaster by : REVELL

Greg Myers

For me I hope they don't just throw some junk wheels and tires in there and call it good ...we've had enough of them that didn't follow the box art. ;)

I hear you Walt. Why is it so hard for Revell to tool up new tires? It can't be more costly than creating new body molds can it?

Tires and wheels are one of the most important elements of any hotrod or performance car.

gus

I have just heard the following from a modeler on another board. It's very disturbing:

"...In talking with the reps from Revell, at the show yesterday, I was told that the tires were the least likely parts to appear in the kit... They will most likely use tires that they already have molds for.

Too bad, as that is probably the coolest thing about the car and the most likely reason I would bother to buy the kit."

Let's all do everything we can to make sure Revell doesn't repeat the mistake they made on both the Sedan and the 5-window, to adapt Old School style front wheels (Kelsey-Hayes style wires and Ford-style steelies respectively) to those pathetic, sadly out of date, fat wide front tires (decal sheet white walls? - Give me a break!)*

This car is very heavily stylized and those front wheels and tires are key to its look. It has every possibility of being a hot seller with a broad range of modelers, far beyond die-hard traditional hot rod builders like me, but it will lose an awful lot of credibility with a repeat of a mistake like this.

On the other hand, a re-release of the Orange Crate is in the Fall 2011 catalog so similar tooling does exist...

Please, please, please... Stacey David and Revell, do this one right!

*Note: Airplane modelers would never tolerate such a ridiculous shortcut, why should we car modelers?

Edited by Bernard Kron

On the other hand, a re-release of the Orange Crate is in the Fall 2011 catalog so similar tooling does exist...

When is the orange crate supposed to come out as I did not see it, I did see the 40 Ford p/u and at one time it was called Lemon Crate. Could this be what you may have been thinking?

I saw Gears this morning with a segment featuring a "photo shoot" of Rat Roaster detail shots for the kit development. They also announced the winners of the model contest. Congrats to them, didn't catch the names however. i think the green is from a Hot Wheels Spectraflame line from one of the major paint companies.

I saw Gears this morning with a segment featuring a "photo shoot" of Rat Roaster detail shots for the kit development. They also announced the winners of the model contest. Congrats to them, didn't catch the names however. i think the green is from a Hot Wheels Spectraflame line from one of the major paint companies.

All of the paint codes are spelled out here, as mentioned in the first post of this thread :

http://staceydavid.com/projects/rat-roaster

When is the orange crate supposed to come out as I did not see it, I did see the 40 Ford p/u and at one time it was called Lemon Crate. Could this be what you may have been thinking?

I haven't seen a date yet. Here's a link to the Fall 2011 release catalog: http://downloads.hobbico.com/misc/rmx/2011_FallNR_Brch_lo.pdf See page 3, lower left corner.

This is definitely not a rat rod. I'm looking at my rat that's sitting outside my window right now. He's got more money in wheels and tires than I have in my whole car. I'll buy it and build it, but it will get some modification. I can't seem to build something straight out of the box. Just hope that everyone isn't right about Revell slamming this kit together with current parts. Ken

Well i would buy one also in 1/25 scale but i saw the show saturday and he pointed to the 1/8 scale duece body and fenders
on the table when talkin about the models

Michael

MAKE'S YOU WONDER EH? lol! im hoping 25 scale but i left a message on his fb wall and asked about that so who knows?

IIRC, the name Rat Roaster had more to do with it being mid-late 60's inspired build that should be capable of taking down a big block muscle car on the street or strip and be somewhat driveable.

Ah...wondered about that..thought it was a misspelling of 'Roadster'....but it's definitely not in Rat Rod style.

Ah...wondered about that..thought it was a misspelling of 'Roadster'....but it's definitely not in Rat Rod style.

Nope, it was ment to be a nice, semi period small block roadster. Not positive, but the Milner Deuce may have been some of the insperation for the car too.

Edited by Joe Handley

For me I hope they don't just throw some junk wheels and tires in there and call it good ...we've had enough of them that didn't follow the box art. ;)

Hopefully, this will be a non-issue, since the tires on the Rat Roaster are manufactured by Coker. So the big tire brands really don't have much say in it as far as licensing. That's all up to Corky.

• 6 months later...

I say it again. It could yield quite a few parts for a Milner Deuce build.

I never noticed that till now. Guess I should pay attention more. It's funny how " wrong " milners coupe was when the movie came out, but it's one of the most recognizable, replicated and inspirational coupes built.

Ok, its a 32 ford with yet, another 350 in it,, ford 9in rear, four wheel disc brake, Don't see were the Rat part comes in,, see a big dollar roadster,, Don't like being the bad guy, but I've seen a thousand differ versions of the same car,, Go to the Turkey Rod Run at Daytona Beach once,,your see,, Really nice car though..

Ok, its a 32 ford with yet, another 350 in it,, ford 9in rear, four wheel disc brake, Don't see were the Rat part comes in,, see a big dollar roadster,, Don't like being the bad guy, but I've seen a thousand differ versions of the same car,, Go to the Turkey Rod Run at Daytona Beach once,,your see,, Really nice car though..

It's Rat ROASTER, not rod, so it's not a throw together "rat" (or high end build made to look ratty). As far as interest, it looks to have wheels and some equipment we haven't seen often in kit form and should be a welcome kit for building and bashing.