Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stacey David's Rat Roaster by : REVELL

Greg Myers

In the new Revell catalogue, the 40 Ford and the Model A pickup and tudor all have "new" written on them, but only "new" thing about them is the decals. This is why I'm not sure what Revell means when they throw the word "new" around. Let's hope for the best.

Well, those are 'new' in the sense they are new releases, not in the catalog for a while. As opposed to something called 'All-New'... :) In their advertising, they probably avoid using 'reissue' and 're-release' as the general public couldn't understand such terms.

From my IHobby Report out:

"Stacey David’s Rat Roaster - 1/25 – New tool based on Revell’s very nice 32 Ford. Too many mods needed to do a modified reissue. In my opinion, this may spread into early 3Q2012 given there are no test shots as yet"

DSC_0032.jpg

Edited by Exotics_Builder

Assuming that the digital design files for the tooling still exist ( a pretty reasonable assumption) it wouldn't take a small team of competent people much time at all to modify said file, convert it to CNC instructions, and mill new tooling, like it says, "based on Revell's very nice '32 Ford". These are detail changes and don't necessitate re-measuring an entire '32 Ford. That approach WOULD NOT necessitate ANY changes to the existing tooling.

Has anybody here ever worked in CAD and seen how FAST you can rework something in it? And has anyone ever watched a 5-axis CNC mill go to town on a part? This ain't like building the space shuttle.

It is literally a few weeks worth of work for a competent crew. What's the big hold up?

It is literally a few weeks worth of work for a competent crew. What's the big hold up?

A '50 Oldsmobile, '57 Ford, '62 Corvette, along with the modified reissues (adding the plow to the Chevy 4x4, tooling back a GMC grill to the tow truck), etc. Plus all the tooling for the stuff that will be announced at iHobby in October. It's not like this '32 is the only thing Revell is working on at any one time.

Edited by niteowl7710

Has anybody here ever worked in CAD and seen how FAST you can rework something in it? And has anyone ever watched a 5-axis CNC mill go to town on a part? This ain't like building the space shuttle.

Watch all parts of this series:

• 1 month later...

Incredible!!! No wide front tires on the Deuce!!! In fact it looks like the wheels and tires from the Orange Crate re-issue. Look's like the standard Deuce front axle and disc brakes, though. I wonder if it has air bags? Still, no wide front tires, a SBC, trim on the grill shell, body color headlight buckets, and is that a chopped windshield (??). Overall, this may be a well balanced refresh of the venerable 90's street rod roadster.

923.jpg

Incredible!!! No wide front tires on the Deuce!!! In fact it looks like the wheels and tires from the Orange Crate re-issue.

I don't think they are the same as those in the Orange Crate, but rather all new tires all around. The Orange Crate's front tires have only three grooves, while the Rat Roaster's appear to have four.

I don't think they are the same as those in the Orange Crate, but rather all new tires all around. The Orange Crate's front tires have only three grooves, while the Rat Roaster's appear to have four.

The Revell team told me yesterday that all the tires on the Rat Roaster are all new....TIM

IMHO ... the only thing that this kit is worth is to fill a parts box ... I think Revell could have tooled up something that is more relevant across the board ... Just my opinion

Steve B.

Edited by scbaker

IMHO ... the only thing that this kit is worth is a to fill a parts box with ... I think Revell could have tooled up something that is more relevant across the board ... Just my opinion

Steve B.

A lot of people in the hot-rod community tend to think the '32 Ford will be relevant until the world ends. I tend to agree. Yes, it's been done a bazillion times, but it's the absolute number- one icon of the whole hot rod hobby (IMHO).

A lot of people in the hot-rod community tend to think the '32 Ford will be relevant until the world ends. I tend to agree. Yes, it's been done a bazillion times, but it's the absolute number- one icon of the whole hot rod hobby (IMHO).

I have to agree with this 100%.

While it's true there's going to be a lot of people who don't care for the look of this car as it comes (I don't), the content can't be ignored as an incredible source of new hot rod parts. If it turns out this stuff will interchange with the existing line of Revell '32 Ford kits then we are going to have one hell of a winner on our hands. Imagine having a ready-to-go small block Chevy that will drop right into the other kits! A streetable super charger setup (water pump, alternator) for a Chevy is long overdue and if a person doesn't like the blower then can it and add the top end components of your choice.

Some proof here that this kit may be a continuation of the current line of 32's is that there's some obvious carry-overs from the most recent 5-Window version. The Moon auxillary fuel tank, hairpin radius rods and '50 Pontiac taillights. It looks like the same front suspension is in place too simply with painted shock brackets and headlight buckets.

Are there any pictures of the parts trees laid out like the other models are???

I'm in disbelief that Revell came through on the tires. Early reports indicated that they were not going to do them and simply use something that already exists from their tire bins. Can you guys imagine how stupid this car would look with those wide Goodyear tires or those lowrider Dunlops the other '32 Roadster kit has???