Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which 359 Pete?

I see there are 3 Peterbilt 359's available at tha moment, AMT/Ertl, Revell-Germany and now Revell Monogram has one (re-issue?), they all look about the same and I'm just wondering what the differences are. If they are basically the same truck is one kit noticably better than the others?

Thanks

The Peterbilt 359 kits are completely different from each other.

The AMT/Ertl kit is a 1975 359, 119" BBC, 36" square door sleeper, round headlamps, single PB style air cleaner, older 'flat dash,' Cummins NTC350 engine, split rim wheels, single battery box, 100 gallon fuel tanks (un chromed), Classic interior.

The Revell-Germany kit is a 1982-87 359, 119" BBC, 63" sleeper, rectangular headlamps, "Dash of Class" instrument panel, dual air cleaners, larger 150 gallon fuel tanks(chrome plated), dual battery and tool boxes, Classic II interior. Longer wheelbase than the AMT kit.

Lots of chrome. This is a superior kit to the AMT just due to the AMT tooling being older technology. The chrome parts are finer, the cab is shaped better (except the windshield isn't quite right), the kit features opening doors too.

The Revell-Monogram 359 kit is a snap together kit. The chassis is 1 piece.

The cab and sleeper are molded together. (easily cut off and the sleeper used for the AMT or Revell-Germany 359 or an Italeri 377 or 378.

The kit is a 1982-87 359 with 119" BBC, single air cleaner, 36" round-door (modern) sleeper, rectangular headlamps, dual battery and tool boxes, classic II interior. The kit is missing the visor.

By kitbashing parts from other Peterbilt kits you can make the Monogram-Revell kit look quite nice. It builds nice enough that with some minor 'fixes' you can't tell it's a snap-kit.

Tim

Hey Aaron, I've built both the AMT and the R-G kits. Tim is right the R-G kit is the better kit but both are relativley easy to build and turn out nice. In my photobucket link the blue wrecker is the AMT one and the red heavy hauler is the R-G one, it's actually a 353 but it's based on the same mold as the 359.

Dave

Thanks, I already have an AMT 359 and wasn't sure if the others were worth looking into, sounds like all have something to offer.

I've seen a few of the R-M onea on ebay and they are quite cheap so I was wondering if they were worthwhile or even really 1/25 scale.

I guess I have seen the R-G one I just didn't realize it was also a 359.

Is the Peterbilt cab used for the AMT wrecker and the R-G fire truck the same as the ones in the respective tractor kits?

The AMT Peterbilt 359 tractor and wrecker kits are identicle kits with the wrecker kit having the wrecker parts.

The Revell-Germany 359 tractor, 353 "Alaska," "Can-do" wrecker and Fire Truck have the same basic kit parts with extra parts for the specific truck the kit is based on including. Some Revell-Germany kits include lots of extra parts and many parts are interchangable between the AMT and Revell kits.

Tim

Aaron

If you need specific information on the 359, such as proper interior colors, engine color (WHITE!) and other Peterbilt trivia, just ask here or email.

Check out http://tahlborn.web.aplus.net/PB.htm there are lots of 359 pics, and look for an upcoming Truckers Corner in Model Cars with some nice-clear real 359 detail pics.

Tim

Aaron

I have serveral Peterbilt kits from Italeri,Revell Germany, AMT, and most recent the Revell Monogram. That one is an impressive kit for a snap-tite kit. I was a little reluctant at first only wanting it for a doner/bash kit but after looking at it I plan on using an AMT 359 to bash for R/M. Needless to say I'll be getting a few more of these 359 kits. Alot of truck modelers will tell ya the AMT 359 is the worst kit they ever attmpted to build. I like it because it's definitly a challenge to get it right!!!!

Here are three AMT 359 projects I've done.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=66655042

"In Progress"

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...4037002&f=0

"In Progress"

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...4277605&f=0

Using the Momogram/Revell snap tite 359 and an AMT 359 I'm thinking about building this truck here. (At least trying to I'm still not that great at multi tone paint jobs )

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=73996312