Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is everyones opinion on the I-Hobby announcements?

GMP440

I think tooling dollars might have been better spent on something we haven't had on the shelves for over 40 years like another '57 Ford. And yes, I know, it's a different trim and body type, but really, there are plenty of other cars that could be kitted that we've never had (or haven't had in decades) in plastic, like any mid to late '50s Mercury. Frankly, I would have liked a '58 Ford instead of another '57.

That's the way I feel when another '57 Chevy gets kitted! :lol:

I'm with you though, I'd love to see a '58 Ford done to modern standards. Maybe if this '57 sells well that will be a possibility.

happy with all the manufacturers. highlights for me from Revell is the 57 Ford, Audi R8 Spyder. The Rat Roaster, and the GMC Pickup with Plow, from AMT its the 2011 Camaro's, the Myers Manx, and the 76 Gremlin. also happy too see all the Van reissue's from AMT.

a little disappointed no 2012 Mustang Boss 302, or 2012 Camaro ZL1. I would've also liked to have seen Revell do something else with there 72 Cutlass tooling. I personally have no interest in the 50 Oldsmobile but I know other people do.

Bring on the 50 Olds. I know I will get a couple and my father, brother and cousin will get a least one each. Long awaiting model. And of course who can forget about the Chrysler 300 from Moebius. I will get a case of them when the time comes. The Rat roadster will be on my list as well. I have always wanted the 1/16 scale Petty Charger. A big thanks goes out to the model manufacturers, now just bring out what you announce. Would love to still see more 50's Mopars though.

I'm sorry, but Revell has not been the lead pipe cinch they used to be for getting things right. We've all gone around and around on this and other boards about the body fidelity of their recent offerings. Close enough is not going to do it, particularly this time when we know what a '57 Ford is supposed to look like in scale. The AMT kit is pretty stout, particularly for its age. It's got a high parts count and looks like it is supposed to look.

If they were dead set on another '57, clearly, the Ranchero would have been the way to go. Their old Ranchero tool was wrong and has been modified beyond economical repair. People have been clamoring for that kit to be fixed and prices for them are out of sight. With the Ranchero, they could have done a Ranch Wagon as well.

Regarding the first part- if you think Revell's kits are so woefully deformed, I refer you to Trumpeter and politely say "Could be way worse". I do see a few trivial hiccups here and there, but nothing that spoils the buzz for me, personally.

Second part- now that you mention a '57 Ranchero, I'm a bit suprised they didn't go that route. Seems it's been Revell's business model the last few years to release new tooled kits already covered (or in different body styles, years, or building variants) by older competitor's subjects. Why couldn't they have tried doing an up-to-date version of one of their own (very questionable in this case, quality-wise) golden oldies? Again though, if their new '57 kit does well, I'd love to see a Ranchero spun off that tooling.

I am feeling pretty excited about the upcoming year there are a whole bunch of models coming out that interest me and they cover a broad range of subject matter. let us not forget that these announcements are supposed to be first half releases meaning that there is more to come for the second half. I just hope I will finally get my meyers manx :blink: .

"I think tooling dollars might have been better spent on something we haven't had on the shelves for over 40 years like another '57 Ford. And yes, I know, it's a different trim and body type, but really, there are plenty of other cars that could be kitted that we've never had (or haven't had in decades) in plastic, like any mid to late '50s Mercury. Frankly, I would have liked a '58 Ford instead of another '57. "

I also agree with the above statement. Would love to see the 68' Dodge Coronet R/T come out. That one was last released in 68'. Was supposed to be released about two years ago, but was cancelled. Round2 please look into this .

I also agree with the above statement. Would love to see the 68' Dodge Coronet R/T come out. That one was last released in 68'. Was supposed to be released about two years ago, but was cancelled. Round2 please look into this .

I think you'd have better odds hoping Revell decides the next version of the '68/'69 Charger/Daytona tooling is a '68 Coronet...which may be a real possibility.

That's the thing; Revell's kit will lend itself to a LOT of building variations that AMT's really didn't ... cop cars and other public-service-type vehicles, vintage NASCAR racers, moonshine runners, etc. I personally think it'd make a pretty cool drag car, too.

Now, if you wanna talk total waste of tooling dollars ... the Enzo Ferrari snapper. I understand snappers are big sellers for Revell, and I also understand that young boys love Ferraris, but still, that car is yesterday's news.

That might still sell nicely though, I've had people come into the HTU I work for looking for Enzo's that would be more appropriate for kids from late child hood to mid teens, plus to dig up another discussion, I've also had more customers come in looking Chevy Tahoe's, Ford Taurus' (not the current one, pre Ford Five Hundred generation :huh: ), ect over the '57 Ford's or even the mid 70's Olds.

For me with the Enzo, it's just a simple matter of past experience telling me that 'Revell' and 'Ferrari' don't seem to combine well. All of the Revell Ferraris I've worked with were warped, ill-fitting junk. Maybe a snap version will bear a somewhat less annoying building process.