Model Cars Magazine Forum

MATCO TOOLS '57 Chevy Pro Mod

This is one that I just finished and got off the table a couple of days ago. I have bought so many of these Pro Sportsman kits the last few years to rob parts from them that once in awhile I just decide to build one as it is (a few mods of course). This one is done as a curbside and the way its pictured here is the way it is. It got lots of small PE pieces, resin blower and hat, scratch blower restraints,and so on. I made the front wheels from some old mags in my parts box by reversing them to expose the smooth backside and painted them black. I added some brake detail and I used some nice wheels outback from a diecast. I made a new wing and added some wedge to the body to give it a lowere looking stance. I used MM paints and clear and a combo of Slixx decals. Thanks for looking!802.jpg795.jpg804.jpg805.jpg801.jpg

So here's my plan. I'm gonna hook up with Stewie Griffin so he can make a machine that will turn me into a butterfly, then teleport me to Darryl's house so I can watch him build in secret, then come back with all of his secrets so I can build models that will allow me to take over the world.

I just have one quick question. Darryl, do you collect butterly's too ??

Thanks for the great comments guys! Chris, I built it as a curbside, so the only engine detail is what you see atop the blower unit. Thanks again!

Thanks Darryl, I some how missed that it was a curbside, no idea how but went back and read your original post and it was rigth there....man do I feel dumb.... :lol: . Love your builds

This is really nice build. Personally I don't like the shaping of that front bumber and grille. But that's just Revell's mistake. Great job with the painting and decals. I like the engine too, from what I can see. Wheels and tires look good, can't wait to see more of your amazing builds.

Personally I don't like the shaping of that front bumper and grille. But that's just Revell's mistake.

Just out of curiosity why is the front bumper and grill a mistake from Revell? This body is based on the picture below. It's a scaled down 57 Chevy Top Sportsman body and even though Revell didn't get the proportions exactly correct it's pretty darn close. If anything the body in the kit just seems to be a bit chunky through the mid section and could have benefitted from a small section being cut out to slim it down some but it doesn't have anything to do with the grill and bumper, in my opinion.

robbie_v_1988-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Oh, if it's done to match the frontend of that car, then it's not a "mistake". I just don't like that shaping, personally. This is just my opinion, but I can't say how it looks bad, I just don't like it. I'd like to see it like more original look. Or then I'd like to see it with just painted on grille, not like "shaped"... Bit hard to say it in english, but hopefully you can understand something.... :rolleyes: This looks good, I think.

ProMod101.png

Thanks for the clarification Wayne. The Rob Vandergriff car was the forerunner to todays modern Pro Mod cars. It was super innovative and ahead of its time in the 80's. I believe that there were three versions of the car and it had a Jerry Hass chassis and it was 7/8 scale. I saw it run a few times at Knoxville Dragway in Tennessee back in the day. Along with the Charles Carpenter '55 its still one of my favorite body styles for a drag car. And Niko, that black flamed '57 is wicked looking.