Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best opening scene from a movie ever!

I can't remember what the movie is called, but the entire opening scene, i.e. when the opening credits are scrolling, is filmed under water. There are dozens of dead bodies with their feet cast in concrete blocks, in every stage of decompostion imaginable.

If anybody out there knows the film, I'd love to know it's title.

The name of the film yer talking about is called "99 and 44/100% Dead" from 1974. I remember that opening sequence when I saw it on TV a while back (creepy isin't it). IIRC, there were a few sequences with some car chase scenes, but most of it consisted of the typical 70's action/supense/sex-crazed mish-mash of the era. Still, it's an intresting watch to check out, considering the ###### we get nowadays.

Here's the page about the film if your intrested:

http://en.wikipedia...._44/100%25_Dead

I think it's been released on DVD in North America and quite possibly in the PAL regon. It shows up on premimum movie channels and some HD feeds from time to time.

Edited by V-spec

How about THIS for a great opening. It's so good, it's the entire movie! I'm sure someone can fill in the blanks, but it's basically a run through the streets of Paris at dawn, flat out.... in a Ferrari, for an early morning rendezvous, the name of the film, with his lady.

Watch THIS......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Vo8iGLMwk

The name of the film yer talking about is called "99 and 44/100% Dead" from 1974. I remember that opening sequence when I saw it on TV a while back (creepy isin't it). IIRC, there were a few sequences with some car chase scenes, but most of it consisted of the typical 70's action/supense/sex-crazed mish-mash of the era. Still, it's an intresting watch to check out, considering the ###### we get nowadays.

Here's the page about the film if your intrested:

http://en.wikipedia...._44/100%25_Dead

I think it's been released on DVD in North America and quite possibly in the PAL regon. It shows up on premimum movie channels and some HD feeds from time to time.

That's the one, thank you so much!

It's a John Frankenheimer movie, so go figure.

i guess maybe i just expected more. i didn't get any sensation of speed while watching that, great engine sounds but it feels like he's really going just the speed limit and in a lower gear then he should be to keep the revs up. maybe for it's time it was quite dramatic but compared to the stuff we see now it's almost on the edge of boring.

I found myself wondering the same thing. It was fun, but it seemed more anxiety producing than exciting.

WOW, I totally forgot about this movie. Back in the late 70's before videos, you could check out short 16mm films and a projector from the library. My brother and I did that occasionally and this was one of the films. DD, to the film maker's credit, watching it on a 3x5 window view doesn't do it justice. Also it's not just about the speed, but the brazenness, route, zero stops and the fact it's all one unedited shot. I think it still holds up.

Can't compare it to what see these days, there no CG here buds.

Edited by Lunajammer

I always liked the very beginning of the movie "Dazed and Confused". Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith starts off slowly and as the "beat" kicks in the GTO Judge comes slowly rolling around the corner...always made me think "I wish I was around back then with all of those cool cars and the more laid-back lifestyle." I even built a model of that GTO when I was 15 or 16 because of that scene.

Also, if you're into NASCAR or racing in general, I love the very beginning of "Days of Thunder". It just sets the atmosphere and mood beautifully IMHO. The music starts off all quiet and shows the empty stands, race track and cars rolling out of the trailers, etc... at sunrise and slowly builds up to the start of the Daytona 500.

i've heard about "Rendevous" for years and never seen it until just now, and i'm disappointed :(

i guess maybe i just expected more. i didn't get any sensation of speed while watching that, great engine sounds but it feels like he's really going just the speed limit and in a lower gear then he should be to keep the revs up. maybe for it's time it was quite dramatic but compared to the stuff we see now it's almost on the edge of boring.

Folk lore about this film is the driver could be one of three French Grand Prix drivers who knew the director ( Larouse , Lafeet or Beltouse ) and did the driving on a dare.

So many red lights, so little time.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said DD, just your opinion of it I guess. I'm with you about the sounds, especially the tire squeals sound pretty cheesy. I considered the white lines too and it depends on which lines of course, some are painted short and numerous (fast) some long (slow). But when passing cars, look at the edge of the frame and count how long it takes for the back and the front of the passed car to go through the frame's edge and consider that's how fast the car is being overtaken. It's more than just a little faster. Too bad we don't get a side view for true comparison.

About the legend of the film, when you've been educated about something from the hype, it never pans out to expectations, no matter what. Star Wars was sort of that way with me until later when I could appreciate it on its own merits.

I was going through my video library last night watching a few classics and realized that the movies I have enjoyed long term have great opening scenes to set the story up. I was discussing this with some friends and my thoughts are the two best opening scenes are 1- Top Gun and 2- Gran Prix. Top Gun because the music and the photography is so vicereral. Gran Prix for the shear art of the photography. Music is a bit dated but the cut shots of all the bits and pieces is still amazing even after 45+ years. What is your favorite?

Top Gun reminds me of another Jerry Brukheimer flick, Days of Thunder... which too had a cool opening scene

Other favorite opening scenes

Cannonball Run

Stroker Ace

Naked Gun

How about THIS for a great opening. It's so good, it's the entire movie! I'm sure someone can fill in the blanks, but it's basically a run through the streets of Paris at dawn, flat out.... in a Ferrari, for an early morning rendezvous, the name of the film, with his lady.

Watch THIS......

That is the entire film.

On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a

a professional Formula 1 racer drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris, France.

The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140 MPH in some stretches.

The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.

Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested.

If you go to wiki it indicates that the producer of the film drove the route in a Mercedes and dubbed in the sounds. Makes a good case for all that Dave Zinn and I have pointed out! Those who have actually raced versus those who wish they did, can really tell the difference. This is a fun video, but if youve driven a racecar.its just entertainment. For those whom have driven a racecar, and its is not the same, Dave would you agree?

Heavy Metal..for the sheer ridiculousness of it all. A 55? vette being dropped out of the space shuttle cargo bay...enters the earths atmosphere and plummets to the earth..or you think it will..the driver pulls the chute what..20 feet before it hits the ground? Then bounces and drives away..silly!

I just watched the Saving Private Ryan into.... wow, what a disappointment! All the bombs were FAKE! And all the explosions were dubbed in, NOT REAL!?!? NO ONE was actually dodging live ammo. And the computer generated graffics......

C`mon guys...let it go. I posted this clip as a piece of entertainment. Are your lives THAT empty to bang on repeatedly about how bad this clip is? IT'S JUST ENTERTAINMENT, just like every other reference posted. And yes, I've driven race cars and been around high performance machinery all my adult life.

Sheeesh!

That is the entire film.

On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a

a professional Formula 1 racer drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris, France.

The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140 MPH in some stretches.

The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.

Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested.

Actually, the car the camera was strapped to, was Lelouch's own Mercedes 450SEL 6.9 and he drove it himself. The Ferrari sound was then dubbed over courtesy of his friend Uderzo's (of Asterix fame) 275 GTB recorded at Paul Ricard circuit.

The short film has been meticulously analysed and timed, the distances are of course well known. In no sequence of the movie the speed is in excess of 140kph.

Lelouch got dinged for filming in public without permission (a criminal offence), not speeding (a mere regulatory offence at the time).

Actually, the car the camera was strapped to, was Lelouch's own Mercedes 450SEL 6.9 and he drove it himself. The Ferrari sound was then dubbed over courtesy of his friend Uderzo's (of Asterix fame) 275 GTB recorded at Paul Ricard circuit.

The short film has been meticulously analysed and timed, the distances are of course well known. In no sequence of the movie the speed is in excess of 140kph.

Lelouch got dinged for filming in public without permission (a criminal offence), not speeding (a mere regulatory offence at the time).

Lelouch, of course directed several classic French films of the 60s, notably "A Man and a Woman." It's a love story involving a race driver and a movie script girl, and has lots of good car scenes featuring a GT40, etc. (He also featured a Mustang convertible; this was part of a financing deal with Ford to get the movie made - one of the earliest examples of product placement.) He recycled footage he had shot of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Very good movie.

Edited by sjordan2

• 7 months later...

Look back on page 1 and you will see Vanishing Point mentioned.

My two personal favorites are Smokey and the Bandit and, even though it's not car related, Spaceballs. The opening scene with the space ship that never ends and the music that struggles to keep going is hilarious.

The opening of the original Italian job was good and a heartbreaker at the same time.

had to go way back to the start of the thread to find only one person has p[osted the original Italian job opening bit , it's brilliant (just don't look too closely at the Lambo when it hits the river or you'll see the engines missing...) .