Model Cars Magazine Forum

Challengum!- Back at it

Ryan S.

Thanks you guys. ;)

Ryan project is looking good. Not sure about integrating the Challenger rear though? Unsure if it will look right on the wagon body. Front looks great though. Hopes its okay to say ... the build is begging for larger wheels and lower profile tires. Keep up the good work!

Totally ok to say! I'm not sold on this wheel and tire combo either. I don't think I have anything else in the bin that would work on this one though. I'm going to keep an eye on ebay and look through a couple of the retail sites to see if anything catches my eye.

The rims on there now are 21mm in diameter. Anyone know what that scales out to in inches?

Guest Sickfish

Ryan, great job so far on the front end  but I'm not convinced the Chally's rear bumper/tail-light combo would look decent on the Magnum rear ? The Chally's rear is alot more curvier than the Magnum's & it just seem's like a hellava of alot of work for not much eye-appeal, if you know what I mean? I'd go for a smoother look on the Magnum's rear?

As far as wheel/tyre combo... I'm with you there, although the wheels are ok, the tyres, not having sidewall detail would be unconvincing. I'd be looking at getting some Aoshima 20s, they're avail' on eBay for around $10-15. As far as size, up to 0.20mm = 19in 1:1... The Aoshimas are 20in and perfect for the large wheel-wells on these new Mopars.  Another option would be something like I've done with my current Chally build, I used the stock rims, sanded down to fit inside the Aoshima 20in lips, giving them the still-stock look but adding the chrome lip 

Here's a pic...

2e7b97d4.jpg

e75d473a.jpg

Hope this help's mate, cheers, Cliffo! 

Thanks for the advice Cliff! I definitely don't like the plain side wall on the Revell tires. I'm going to do some imagineering before cutting up any of the back parts.

Ryan, great job so far on the front end  but I'm not convinced the Chally's rear bumper/tail-light combo would look decent on the Magnum rear ? The Chally's rear is alot more curvier than the Magnum's & it just seem's like a hellava of alot of work for not much eye-appeal, if you know what I mean? I'd go for a smoother look on the Magnum's rear?

As far as wheel/tyre combo... I'm with you there, although the wheels are ok, the tyres, not having sidewall detail would be unconvincing. I'd be looking at getting some Aoshima 20s, they're avail' on eBay for around $10-15. As far as size, up to 0.20mm = 19in 1:1... The Aoshimas are 20in and perfect for the large wheel-wells on these new Mopars.  Another option would be something like I've done with my current Chally build, I used the stock rims, sanded down to fit inside the Aoshima 20in lips, giving them the still-stock look but adding the chrome lip 

Here's a pic...

Hope this help's mate, cheers, Cliffo! 

Guest Sickfish

No probs Ryan  If you're liking the blacked-out rims with the chrome lip then I can't recommend Aoshima 20s enough! I've used them previously & they're the Beez-kneez, perfect for your Magnum 

My current Magnum build is getting a set of 1-off custom made 20s from a very good Brazilian mate of mine  but I promised not to say who... Let's just say the original designer of the 1:1 rims surname is Foose..  I'm not doing a WIP here but I'll hopefully post the completed build 

Cheers & keep up the good work! 

PS: if you go with the Aoshimas you'll have to make some "space" adjustments for the front/rear suspension, minor stuff for a bloke with your skill 

Cliffo 

After a slew of 300/Magnum wagons, are you going to start a new trend? I've thought of one myself, but I think I'll watch this one for now.

Have you given any thought to doing it retro? Wood paneling and such?

Thanks James. I don't know about being a trend setter, but if I inspire anyone to undertake some styrene surgery then that's ok by me! :D

To answer your question, no I haven't thought about going retro with it. I think I like the more modern, sleek street machine look for this one. Not that one with a classic station wagon wood panel look wouldn't be interesting, just not my cup of tea for this build.

I'm keeping busy on this one with a lot of sanding and continuing body work. I'll post some pictures when there's something significant to show. I think I'm going to keep the rear stock. It makes things a lot easier. There would be too much filling and modification so I'm going to skip it. I think. That's where I'm at for now at least ;) .

Thanks for looking, I hope to have some progress and primer shots soon. Once the body is done I can then concentrate on getting the chassis to fit right. I've got some wheels for this in the mail and once I get those I can figure out any suspension mods that will need to be done to fit then. Lots to do...whew!

This is an awesome build! I love the Challenger and the Magnum...I think a mix of the two will look awesome! I also think you should switch the dashes as well...the Challenger dash looks much better. Good luck on the rear end. I agree that integrating the Challenger tails would look awesome...I just don't know how it would have to be placed.

This is really great project, I've been thinking about conversions from these Retro Muscle Cars, it would be nice to see Pickup Camaro for example, just like El Camino, but based on Camaro's body. Your conversion looks very good too, Challenger Longroof is interesting subject. I'd like to see one in 1:1 model with Hemi of course. Nice job on the front, looks really factory made. Keep it going, I'll be wathing this project.

Here's a little update on where I'm at. Spent a lot of today sanding, sanding sanding. You can see that the sides are all smoothed out. After all that, I've had to put another coat of the putty on it. This will set up tonight and I'll get back to sanding tomorrow and the plan is to hopefully get a light coat of primer on it after, so I can see where else will need some attention.

I've started working the hood to get it to fit. Not easy. It's real rough still which is why it's sitting a little wonky.

I just threw these wheels on it for mock up, they won't be what I'll end up using.

I've started a few of the small sub assemblies, mostly the engine. Nothing has paint yet, so I'll spare the shots for now. I plan on getting primer on all the other parts and starting some painting soon as well. I plan on putting a lot of time in on this one this week so hopefully we'll get some good progress! Thanks for watching!

DSCN4285.jpg

DSCN4286.jpg

DSCN4287.jpg

DSCN4288.jpg

DSCN4289.jpg

Got started on some of the other parts of this one while I take a little break from body work.

I'm using the radiator from the challenger because I like that it has better details. I have some ribbon that I found some where that I think will make a good radiator core.

Step one was to remove the molder core.

DSCN4290.jpg

Here's the ribbon.

DSCN4291.jpg

I taped the ribbon down to keep it pulled tight and put a little super glue around the radiator frame and laid it in place to dry.

DSCN4292.jpg

When that was done, flipped it over and repeated the process for the other side.

DSCN4293.jpg

Here's how it looks fit back in the radiator.

DSCN4294.jpg

Cont in next post.

Thanks to member Gray Smith, I found the rims and tires I'll be using on this one.

DSC_4792.jpg

These are Aoshima Gram Lights R57GT wheels and I'm thankful that Gray could spare the ones he had, so lots of credit to him!

I'll have to lower the suspension at all 4 corners and it looks like the fronts will fit just fine, but the rear tires are pretty wide so I might have to find a way to mini-tub the rear just a little to get them to fit.

Ryan, this is a beautiful conversion. Please talk to a resin caster and have copies made. Please....

Have you decided on a color choice yet? Personally, I like the two-tone Black over either the deep Red metallic or Graphite. Not sure on the wheels tho`..... I like the polished lip much better. But it's ultimately your build & decision.

But have the body cast.... please. 2thumbs.gif

That is turning out quite nicely !! I remember Chip Foose doing something similar on Overhaulin' a few years back. I like the two real cars that you posted with the Black with Red or Charcoal colors on the body... I think you should go along that route with your paint job and make it a two tone... Maybe Black and Hemi-Orange ?? Keep up the great work on this one !!