Model Cars Magazine Forum

Challengum!- Back at it

Ryan S.

Thanks for the comments all. I'm pretty sure that this one is not going to get casted. With all the mods I've had to make, and will continue to make, I'm not sure I want to risk any damage. I'd just like to get it finished! Although, based on the tremendous response thus far, I might try and do a second one with the intention of finding someone to cast it, but that would be way out in the future.

That is one very nice splice of the challenger front to the Magnum body. Where did the wheels come from, they look great?

STewart

Hey Stewart, the wheels are Aoshima Gram Lights R57GT that I was very lucky to get from a member here as they are out of production now and very, very tough to find on-line. I agree, they are perfect for this build!

Ryan, great work on your Challenger / Magnum build. I built a Chyrsler 300 touring wagon with a resin body and used a Chyrsler 300 SRT rear bumper that is close to the Challenger bumper. I would not change the rear lights to the Challenger. Your wheels look nice and I would go with one of the high impact colors Dodge has used on the Challenger like the B5 Blue . Here is what my bumper looks like.

37ef1d4a.png

• 3 months later...

Just a little update on this one. Body work has been giving me fits so I can only do a little at a time and not get frustrated.

I decided to go with blacked out spokes on the rims so I painted them with a gloss black lacquer. I then masked them centers off and sprayed the lip with Spaz Stix mirror chrome. It's not so much chrome as it is a polished aluminum, but I think it works really well in this application.

I plan on drilling out the center caps and putting on some that are polished metal made from some small nail heads that were rounded.

I picked out a color as well if I ever get to the point of painting. I'm going to use Spaz Stix candy red metallic. Should make it really pop.

I hope to have more progress soon. Thanks for hanging in there with me on this one.

20120706_120442.jpg

20120706_120505.jpg

20120706_120510.jpg

• 3 years later...

I've finally had a chance to resurrect this one and get back to a little building. Something I hope to do more of than I have. 

I've decided to start over somewhat with another Magnum body and a better approach with the wheel arches. I didn't like the way it looked after I last left off. I've also removed the old chin spoiler/ splitter and will scratch build a new one that is thinner and looks better. 

Not much to look at, at this point, but at least it's something!

So basically, your taking a NEW Challenger '06-'08? ...and making it a "Wagon"..... NOT my style, or cup of tea, BUT, what your doing is to a Mopar, and is done with taste.....  Chally wagon.... WITH a 6.1L "370"  Hemi in it......-NOT a bad thing!

Nice work tho, all looks clean, and is well done!!!!!

Edited by 426-Hemi
Spelling

You know, I hadn't considered making it a 2 door. As cool as that would be, it might be more work that I want to take on with this. Mainly due to all the windows coming in a tinted color rather than clear, and I like that as I don't intend to super-detail the interior. If I changed the side windows it would mean making all new glass, except for the windshield. I'll keep it in mind though and if I'm up for the challenge might give it a try. I do have a spare body now I could try it on. So we'll see.

Thank you for the suggestion!