Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are the worst kits you've ever built?

Bit of a thread revival here.  (tends to happen when I am searching for something specific and end up going down a rabbit hole)

Having just gotten back into car models after years of military armor and artillery (try an early zvezda armor model kit to see what flash can truly be)  I don't have the history of fighting my way through some of the older kits.

I will say having just started the AMT/ERTL 1969 Mustang, I have some serious issues.  The interior tub and some of the components are all from 66 and there is a serious lack of engine compartment and that is just from my initial unboxing....hopefully things improve once I actually start detail and assembly.  

images.jpg

26 minutes ago, Beans said:

I will say having just started the AMT/ERTL 1969 Mustang, I have some serious issues.  The interior tub and some of the components are all from 66 and there is a serious lack of engine compartment and that is just from my initial unboxing....hopefully things improve once I actually start detail and assembly.  

images.jpg

It's also slightly undersized--maybe 1/26 or 1/27--and the front pan has always seemed shallow to me. I think there's something not quite right about the upper side window opening line, too. 

But your mention that the interior tub is from '66 is VERY interesting to me, as I have a nice AMT '66 Fastback body in need of an interior. HMMMMMMMMM......:unsure:

Back in ‘79 or ‘80 I built the MPC Flip Nosed Corvette Kit (the red one) and I loved it. Never had issues with it then. So, I’ve always wanted to have another crack at building another. Can’t remember where or how I found another but I knew it was a reboot of the original. Last year, I worked on it and it literally fought me all the way with the hardest fight was dealing with the exhaust pipes since it came in 3 pieces. Plastic was so warped, I literally used Gorilla glue to get it to hold in place. I even had to use Gorilla glue to attach it to the engine. I can’t tell how many times I’ve came close to putting a hammer to it but I kept soldering on to completion. That kit was posted here in my 2020 builds thread.

This one is not about the quality but it was not like it was shown on the box,back in the early 80s I picked up a larger scale General Lee and once I opened the box I found ot was actially a race car where I was thinking it was more a stock Charger with the General Lee add ons but no.  I did build it and if I can find it im the attic I might smash it tp pieces since I still am disappointed in it.