Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are the worst kits you've ever built?

Yeah, that would be fun. A "Terrible Kit OOB CBP"

Whoa there Trigger! OOB CBP? I'd just like to say for the record that was NOT my idea. I doubt seriously many people would be interested in an OOB build off of bad kits. In most cases the only way to build one (and retain ones sanity) is to replace the offending parts.

Whoa there Trigger! OOB CBP? I'd just like to say for the record that was NOT my idea. I doubt seriously many people would be interested in an OOB build off of bad kits. In most cases the only way to build one (and retain ones sanity) is to replace the offending parts.

It was a clear case of British humour in action.

Speaking of terrible kits, was the Barnabas Vampire Van mentioned yet?

I have to dissagree with you, the first "modern" AMT/Ertl kit to feature a platform style interior was the 66 Nova SS which came out in 1988. Also, I just finished building a mid 70's Ford Carpi II a few weeks ago, also an AMT kit that featured a platorm interior although I will atmit it was not the norm at the time.

Good for them.

In all fairness AMT's toolings in the 90's were pretty good. Too bad they reissued so many crappy kits in the same time frame, which really brought down their reputation.

Thank Wal-Mart in part, and the $5 "checkered box specials" for sullying AMT's reputation- they went from concentrating on modern, highly detailed and engineered new releases to bringing out whatever tooling was usable with no budget for needed repairs and maintenance to provide quantity at a dictated price point

They did sell the later, nicer kits cheap as well but they seemed to get buried under the barrage of reissues that already needed help since the 80s

Some of their moves just baffled me, to say the least. Like the decisions to reissue their horrible 66 Mustang and long in the tooth 68 Shelby Mustang, when they had the excellent 67 Mustang/Shelby toolings at their disposal.

Only one i can remember being so bad that I refused to even concider finishing it was the FF Charger. I think it's so bad that even when I walked into the local Giant Tiger department store, and saw they had them priced at $4.99 I had to stop and wonder if I should by a dozen for parts, normally at that price it's a no brainer!

It was a clear case of British humour in action.

Speaking of terrible kits, was the Barnabas Vampire Van mentioned yet?

I'd have to second that since they destroyed the AWESOME 1933 Chevy Panel truck to make that kit.

Edited by Nate

That old Revell radioactive puke green and black multi-piece bodied VW Bus with the California something or other theme. Plenty of kits out there that are sub-par, but that thing was just flat out horrid.

I love those old VW panel kits and not because they build well! :rolleyes: I think you are remembering the California Roller version. That was neon green. They had a Rubber Ducky CB radio version in yellow. The first version of the panel was the Surfing version of which I don't recall the name. Too bad they trashed the Window bus to make the panel. The original version of that kit was a 57 or so 23 window Deluxe Microbus and you had to make all 23 windows from clear flat stock!!!! They modified it to a mid sixties style 21 window later. The new Fujimi and New tool Revell make up for it, though.

I like the idea of a Craptastic Kit CBP. I have a Pyro VW Beetle beach buggy half done and need an excuse to finish it.

This a great excuse right here :) . Show how you can make a nice model out of a craptastic kit.

Edited by sjordan2

I love those old VW panel kits and not because they build well! :rolleyes: I think you are remembering the California Roller version. That was neon green.

Yep that's he one. I had to be around 10 or 11 when I got that. Pretty sure I threw it against the wall halfway through. lol. I grokked one at a show as an adult and it almost sent me into seizures. :D

The new Fujimi and New tool Revell make up for it, though.

I've built one of the Hasegawa pickup versions. That was a treat. Didn't even paint the body or interior, it was so nice. Just detail painted here and there where it mattered. I've built a Fujimi 365...I'd imagine that their VW's are also pleasant. Will get around to one of the new Revells one of these days.

I've also noticed several mentions of the Revell '56 F100. Truth. Talk about a tooling that was ridden hard and put away wet. But, I manage to massage one into a very nice truck, 'bashed together with a twin I beam from a junker van, a parts box rear suspension, and the wheels & tires from the F350 kit. It was painted (my first good one, if I remember right) and about a days work away from final assembly...when my gf at the time...destroyed...it...in one of her many fits of utter clumbsiness. I haven't been able to put myself through that kit again. Took me months to get it to where it was. :D

• 7 months later...

Okay, I'm probably beating a dead horse here but I think I'm done building Trumpeter kits. The Bonneville wasn't bad other than some little detail issues and was pretty decent overall. There were some things that were chromed that shouldn't have been, and some that weren't chromed that should have been, but overall not terrible. The 78 Monte Carlo, on the other hand, is an abomination. The engine/transmission was so poorly designed that it was completely unusable. The interior was okay except for the dash, which was as bad as the engine. I swapped engine, exhaust, dash and steering column and parts of the frame from the Revellogram 86 Monte Carlo SS. I've got the chassis in the body now, but it doesn't go in correctly and leaves about 1/8 to 1/16 of the inner front fender well sticking out below the fender openings. I'm going to try and adjust the fit to see if it'll go in there better. And it's got a stance like a 4x4, even without the goofy little tires.

You know Brian, the price kept me away from the Trumpeter kits in the first place, but I hear they weren't very good from other people. The Pontiac convertible was Ok, but the hard top was way off with the top. The Nova coupe was Ok but the convertible windshield was wrong, to tall. Now you and others have said the Monti is bad. To bad for Trumpeter I think. I do have both of the Nova's and I'm going to try and sell them at the Zanesville model show later this month.

On another note, would you be interested in coming to the Buckeye Scale Auto clubs meeting this coming Thursday? We meet at Panera's in Westerville on Rt.3 and Maxtown Rd.starting at 7 PM. I get there around 5 PM. You're welcome to come and have a good time. :) Dan

that barnabas collins thing is an abomination. i recently built one (edit: oops i didnt BUILD one, i bought one! doubt i will ever build one! end edit) with the idea of making a channeled rod from it but one look at it and the flash and the level of (non) detail and it went into my junk pile. the only thing i might remotely be interested in is the coffin and trailer but that is for an off the wall project i will never get to (re: bob marley: mr brown).

another one...one of my favorite cars that i just got a reissue of from a friend, the lil coffin. sweet car but the kit is a monstrosity...warped body and not enough there to unwarp it, even when i glued in the roof panel and the doors its still all sideways and it looks like the bottom of the body was short-shot or if not its just way too thin to even think it will go together. at first i thought maybe the frame would straighten it out but instead looks like the body will twist the frame instead. add to that all the flash and the poor molding and i am thinking all i am getting out of this one is the skeleton and maybe the mag wheels. another piece for the trash can. well maybe the six twos and log manifold are usable elsewhere but the rest is a joke. i dont remember it being like this in 1963 or whenever i built it originally.

Edited by jbwelda

I have actually just read through this entire thread and I'm exhausted as if I actually tried to build all those terrible kits!

My nominees for the worst kits ever have to start with those Revell tri-five Chevys first issued in the sixties. The ones with the opening everything and well fitting nothing! They could be built, with a lot of effort, but when you were done you had something that didn't really look all that much like a Chevrolet. Except for the engines, might have been the best small block Chevy of the era.

Next on my list would the whole series of those awful AMT Modified Stockers. Cartoon cars is what they were and I place them in the same genre as MPC's Zingers!

But the winner and Grand Champion worst kit I've ever built is . . . the envelope please . . . the Accurate Miniatures Can Am McLarens!

I'm surprised nobody as mentioned these before now but perhaps it's because all of you were smarter than I and never started one of these things in the first place. Nothing in this kit fit properly, every part needed messaging and some never would fit. Huge panel gaps and a stance after final assembly like a 4x4 truck!

This kit was a huge disappointment especially coming after their excellent Corvette Grand Sport. I built one for a review in that "other" magazine and, once it was done and photographed, it went right in the trash. (First time I ever did THAT with a model!) In all of the model press mine was the only honest review that pointed out all of the kit's problems. One British reviewer praised the kit to the sky and mentioned how well the panel fit was when right there in the photos you could see daylight through the gaps down to the table!

I think the proof that I was right is that today you can occasionally find one these kits on eBay selling for way below retail!