Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are the worst kits you've ever built?

Brian, is that the VW van? If it is, I built one many years ago and I didn't like it. The reason is the multi piece body and I couldn't build it stock. It has a stupid CB with a round circle around it on the front of the body where the VW would normally be. You get big and little wheels for it which I would have liked the VW wheels instead. The engine is ok but that's about it. Oh, and the opening doors don't fit to well either. Just my thoughts on the kit. :) Dan

Yup, it's the VW van. I've seen a couple of people on here that have done improved hinges for the doors like that type of van, so that shouldn't be too bad. I'd already planned on replacing the goofy CB insignia on the nose. Might see what it would look like without it, or I'll scratch build one. I'm also planning on replacing the wheels and tires. :)

The revell charger SRT-8, waaaay To toy like and it only looked like a charger in the front end, the opening doors were a joke, I've seen cars in junk yards that had better door figment than this model!

The lindburg charger SRT-8. Just looked way off to me, as much as I tried to build it, I couldn't. It looks like a 4 door family with the huge wheel gaps and narrow tires. I really want an accurate SRT charger! Somebody please!!!

Planning to be there. :) Oh, finished the build of the Trumpeter Monte last night except for the PE details. There's still some issues, like the inner fender wells show at the edges of the fender openings a little and it has the stance of a truck. But I'm still mostly happy with it. Since the car it's depicting was a disaster in real life, I'll accept it. :)

I think the Ford TFC (WWI Armored vehicle) in 1/35 made by the RPM models is one of the worse I eve r built. In this kit there are molding and flasching problem, I mena huge problem. Always in 1/35 is the Tamiya Jeep Willys, first edition 1972. The molding and flashing are not to bad, but the kit doesn't fit very well.

In 1/24 the VW Bug Convertible made by Revell, flashing every where...

Fujimi 04-05 Subaru WRX kit, 2dr interior. body proportions are bad in spots. luckily they started from scratch for there 06-07 kits and they are much much better.

The Revell body c pillar is wayyyy off. The only saving grace is the engine.

The AMT Fast and Furious line was complete garbage. Especially the 350z/Fairlady Z and Evo...WTF

I can't really bitch about older multi-piece body kits-Caddy, poor Ranchero:/, Porsche speedster. Those are old kits and just a mistake for their time. But yea, lol, pretty terrible too.

Edited by blubaja

• 8 years later...

OMG....... AMT, PERIOD!!!!  I've retired and started an old hobby from my youth, model building. Ive, started off with Revell, and Monogram. I started my first AMT brand 70-1/2 year 454 Camaro.  It is horrible! Massive bleed out on molds a lot of parts not fitting right. The instructions on all are so vague, but the AMT is the worst then the Monogram. The headers on the AMT Camaro are a 2 piece per side. The worst and hardest to fit at one end while throwing it off at the other. I mean, really, headers? Just mold one solid four piece for each Head.will NEVER buy another AMT brand again. 

Worst one I've tried to build lately was the AMT (ex-MPC) '69 Firebird. Knowing from the jump that it's pretty bad, I thought I'd Snake-slap one together doing only what's absolutely necessary to get it marginally acceptable looking for the shelf. Gave up after two evenings of body work--I just couldn't see any way to make it in any way acceptable to my eye without kitbashing it out of a Revell '69 Camaro body. I don't even like the '69 Firebird enough to go through all that. :angry:

I hate these kits for reasons of bad proportions:

AMT 32 Fords

The monogram 57 Chevy with the really square roof and grille

AMT 33-34 Ford Sedans, the 5w coupe is Ok.. barely. 

The 60 Pontiac Bonneville by Trumpeter.  The roof is way too short. I saw someone on FB fix this with an AMT 62 Chevy Bubbletop roof. 

The Revell 34 Ford Coupe. Proportions off, and horrible to build. 

Many of the old Revell kits with lots of opening doors and trunks never went together well for me.  I steered clear and stuck to AMT or Monogram after a few bad experiences. 

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I've been building for 40 years, so I'm sure there are some I've forgotten.

I just finished an MPC Titan IIIc. Terrible kit. The halve of the rocket bodies do not fit well and require massive amounts of filing and fitting. Given that the center booster is silver, it shows every little defect. Glad to have this one in the done column. 

the only good thing about that kit was the box. My cat liked to sleep in it. 

Hands down the worst kit I ever built was the 1/8 scale Testor / Pocher Ferrari Testarossa. You know you're in trouble when, on the first page of the instructions, it says that " certain design economies have been taken". They weren't lying. The paint on the doors didn't match the rest of the body and the screws that attached the suspension pieces stripped as soon as you tried to tighten them. I did finish the build  but I don't ever try to move the model as things will fall off if I try that.

Somehow I talked myself into buying a Premier English Ford that master modeler Tom Piagari donated to our model club auction; if HE gave up on messing with it (this was a guy who scratchbuilt a 1/25 '58 Toyopet Crown body starting with a Revell 1/32 '57 Chevy snapkit)... Multi-piece body whose pieces act like complete strangers to each other, rear quarters and trunk that bear little resemblance to the actual car... I will admit they got the wheelbase correct.

I might just build it as a pre-'75 class banger racer so I can imagine it getting pummeled to bits around the track! :lol:

12768956_englishfordangliabanger.jpg.7b24baf796ed5254af762d79199e7d13.jpg

Hands down, the Airfix Bugatti EB110 was horrendous- especially compared to the excellent Revell Germany release. Airfix couldn't even get the rear clip accurate- didn't even vaguely resemble the real thing- makes you wonder if they ever actually saw the car or drawings. I will never waste money on another Airfix kit.

REVELL : Any of their 1970's-1980's offerings were jokes ( though I did enjoy building the c.1979 Penny Pincher -- or whatever it was called-- VW Bug , and the same-era VW Bus ) . Most were old / older kits with new decals , garbage two-piece tyres , and hideous wheels... And , fitment issues galore . 

MPC : Many of the rehashed 70's annuals / promos throughout the 80's --- poor plating (oftentimes burying the entire chrome tree in plating , to the point of obscuring the parts) ; ugly decals ; custom-only wheels ; glass tinted so dark as to be virtually painted black ; same flippin' B.F. Goodrich tyres in every kit , even then-new releases (e.g. , 1984 Corvette) ; poor-fitting chassis-to-body , and ; "core-shift" ( wheel base off side-to-side --- think : 1975 , ante-seq. / ad seq. Dart Sport . Still a problem to this day ! ) .

AMT : Again , most 70's - 80's offerings . Similar to MPC : old annual kits gussied-up with ugly decals , "snow" tyres , ugly-colour plastic , and "dry-transfer" decals . No part numbers to refer to ; no positive-mounting points , and ; those caca 2-piece tyres ( or the aforementioned Good Year Rallye GT "snow" tyres ) .

On 1/15/2021 at 11:18 AM, capntucker said:

OMG....... AMT, PERIOD!!!!  I've retired and started an old hobby from my youth, model building. Ive, started off with Revell, and Monogram. I started my first AMT brand 70-1/2 year 454 Camaro.  It is horrible! Massive bleed out on molds a lot of parts not fitting right. The instructions on all are so vague, but the AMT is the worst then the Monogram. The headers on the AMT Camaro are a 2 piece per side. The worst and hardest to fit at one end while throwing it off at the other. I mean, really, headers? Just mold one solid four piece for each Head.will NEVER buy another AMT brand again. 

All of AMT kits with the 2 piece headers are hard to deal with and get straight...

On 1/15/2021 at 12:18 PM, capntucker said:

Not all AMT kits are the worst.  Let's not go down this road bashing AMT kits again. If you don't like AMT kits, don't buy them again. Just don't bash them on here. We had another thread that got shut down over it.

7 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Not all AMT kits are the worst.  Let's not go down this road bashing AMT kits again. If you don't like AMT kits, don't buy them again. Just don't bash them on here. We had another thread that got shut down over it.

Lol

chill, he just didn’t like the 79 1/2 Camaro and it’s mould quality and done design choices

We don’t want yet another thread locked because someone has a different opinion to the majority on here.