Model Cars Magazine Forum

FWIW: Harbor Freight 1/5HP air compressor -

Hi All. For what its worth to anyone looking for a great compressor, I purchased this 1/5 HP Harbor Freight compressor - this is the one sold with the air brush. I went to a hobbiest type compressor after using a pancake compressor and couldn't deal with the noise.

I wasn't so much interested in the airbrush that came with the set, but instead interested in the fact that this is the bigger compressor of the two hobby compressors HF sells. What i didn't realize is that this one does not come with a regulator and the smaller 1/8hp compressor does comes with a regulator.

Anyway wanting the bigger compressor, i was set on living without a regulator and to just rely on using the bleeder valve on the bottom of the filter as a make shift regulator.

To make a long story short i took a ride to HF today and purchased their regulator - filter - gauge combo and now must say this great little compressor is even better. The regulator helps it out tremendously. Not only does it dial in the PSI on the button, but it also keeps the compressor from running all of the time which should add alot of life to it. FWIW to anyone considering one of these - hope this helps.

Thanks, John

Edited by foxbat426

ok mike,

i saw your response about HF compressors on my other thread - yes i purchased the 3 gallon pancake compressor from them also. i didn't have trouble with the regulator, but i had a problem with it leaking - it would not hold a charge long and the compressor kept kicking on every 4 minutes or so - it was an internal problem and they returned it with no problems.

the regulator i purchased is NOT the one used on the little 1/8HP compressor or the pancake compressor. the one i purchased seems to be built better and so far it works great.

the HF manager admitted to me that some of the pancake compressors do come back with problems, but he also told me they sell about 150 of them per week out of this store alone! amazing - all in all he said people keep them. it seems like it's hit or miss with harbor freight on certain items. i can tell you that i purchased 4 airbrushes from them and they all work great - even the cheapo 7 dollar external mix one works suprisingly good.

i suggest taking the regulator off of the 1/8hp compressor you have and replacing it with the 1/4NPT one they sell and reducing the 1/4 outlets to 1/8NPT fittings to fit the compressor. for 14 bucks you can't go wrong - keep the gauge from the bad regulator and use it on the new regulator as it sits flat vs. vertical like the one that comes in the 1/4 outlet regulator - the item number on the regulator i purchased is 68228 if you decide to go that way.

keep me posted - thx, john

Edited by foxbat426

• 4 years later...

My harbor fright air brush compressor barely lasted 6 months. I guess I learned the hard way you get what you pay for !

Three years later mine is still going ,  I got my moneys worth, thats for sure, but its time to replace its, as its starting to act up.

Edited by martinfan5