Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reissued kits

great lists!

for me more 70's stock ( as in as they came from the factory) cars. i wouldlove to see.

70, 71, 72 plymouth fury I, II and III (not sure if they ever made these)

70's chysler imperials

74 GTO

plymouth volare and chrysler cordoba

dodge magnum from the 70's

thats just the beginning.

All Bandai 1:16 and 1:20 scale 'modern' car kits. I already enquired about these when I visited Bandai Co. in 2005. I saw the tools neatly labelled on a huge shelf in a warehouse. The management told me they had no plans in reissuing those, since they feel they don't meet today's quality standards. Since then they had a lot of input from Japanese collectors so they may ultimately change their minds. I mean, why would they have kept tons of steel for decades, if they never put it back into a moulding machine?

Bandai owns the Gunpla market and I doubt they'll be willing to reissue some old car kits.

My Reissue wishes have been mentioned already but I just want to re-iterate in case anyone from revell or AMT/MPC is watching :)

monogram 1/8th cars - the vettes, the Trans Ams and the Camaro

MPC Volare , monza, vega

Dodge Van with a correct grille

and the MPC 1/16th scale cars like the 80s trans am, the 79ish trans am, and others I can not recall at the moment

I would welcome 70s subjects that we have not had for a while

Bandai owns the Gunpla market and I doubt they'll be willing to reissue some old car kits.

Japanese 'culture' is difficult to understand, to say the least. Hitherto the Japanese mentality was that everything slightly dated is dingy, downright objectionable, associated with the lower class and small town criminals or the red light district. But lately the 'old car' movement has taken off like a rocket, after years of those cars being labelled 'unwanted' (the term in Japanese is actually used for them by Japanese enthusiasts, they refer to their 60s/70s/80s classics as 'unwanted cars', a very peculiar sense of humour).

Collecting and showing off old cars has made it into the mainstream now and with it goes all the related memorabilia, including models. Well, I guess Japan also has baby boomers after all, at least that's the impression I got when I was on tour there.

IIUIC there are talks that Bandai 'leases' (or some such, there are some weird business concepts in Japan) the tools to Aoshima, who then could release them under their 'Bunka' brand. Aoshima did already release a few old big scale Nichimos and Otaki/Doyushas under this brand, with rousing success, albeit this went largely unnoticed in the rest of the world. Bandai makes no secret out of the fact that the molds all still exist and they are in pristine condition in ideal storage conditions. The Japanese modellers make no secret out of the fact that they want those kits reissued. Hey, stranger things have happened.

And I can say I have seen those tools with my own eyes, and they were labelled, and IIRC everything was there.

Here is a picture of the molds:

Picture003.jpg

And before I forget, Bandai did reissue a 1:20 scale 'car' kit already, albeit it's a lorry:

pic015.jpg

pic020.jpg

Again, IIUIC (my Japanese isn't what it should be) this is one of a series of Dekotoras (again IIUIC, there were five) modelled after an 80s Japanese TV Series, which was rerun in Japan, hence the kits were reissued. The nostalgia movement is just coming of age (pun intended) in Japan, so I think we are in for something over the next few years.

Edited by Junkman

MPC '76 Volare Road Runner. The thing goes over a Franklin almost every time on ebay.

JoHan '64 Caddy Deville convertible, because I want one.

AMT '69 Torino convertible/hardtop

AMT 1965 Falcon Sprint HT

MPC Force 440 Monaco coupe squad

AMT Volkswagen Scirocco

-MJS

Toby,

The Volare was mentioned so often already, that if Round2 doesn't reissue it now, it's their own bloody fault. I'd buy one or two anyway. Drove one as a motor pool car when I was working for the AAFES in Munich back in 1982. It was a guffament issue four door post with a slant six, bench seat front and back, and power nothing. 2-60 air conditioning as well. Ruddy dog dishes, which I always tossed into the boot to spare me the embarrassment. It was a joy to drive, though. Especially in Winter. You could beautifully get it sideways on snow, Ari Vatanen style. It also had the last incarnation of electroluminescent lighting of the dashboard. Driving an old Volare at night, is an experience not to be missed.

But you are the first one who listed the AMT Scirocco and I was initially tempted to include it in my list of suggestions, alongside the Golf/Rabbit. I didn't do it, because I feared by listing too much of this non-American stuff I will get all the beating again. So hey, thanks for taking this monkey off my back!

I'm kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned the AMC Pacer yet. Those always get lots of bids on ebay and I forgot to include it on my first list, I'd buy a couple just for the 258 inline 6 to put into Jeeps. The Volare/Roadrunner is another I forgot about, we really need to see that one again. Somebody mentioned the AMT Capri, I wasn't sure how many people would remember that one but I am working on one right now.

All of the Revell parts packs, except the engines. Hmmm, maybe the engine parts packs are why there have not been any others resissued. There are a boatload of those engines still out there.

If you remove that awful Chrome From the Parts Pack Engines they build up quiet well, it is that Chrome that Keeps them from fitting together right.

I would Like to see all of the Revell and AMT parts Packs reissued.

I would also like to see The Badman, and Nomad Kits with the Gasser Straight axle and all of the rest of the Gasser Options reissued.

The AMT Studebaker KIts Would also be nice to have reissued.

CHEERS!

Tom

Toby,

The Volare was mentioned so often already, that if Round2 doesn't reissue it now, it's their own bloody fault. I'd buy one or two anyway. Drove one as a motor pool car when I was working for the AAFES in Munich back in 1982. It was a guffament issue four door post with a slant six, bench seat front and back, and power nothing. 2-60 air conditioning as well. Ruddy dog dishes, which I always tossed into the boot to spare me the embarrassment. It was a joy to drive, though. Especially in Winter. You could beautifully get it sideways on snow, Ari Vatanen style. It also had the last incarnation of electroluminescent lighting of the dashboard. Driving an old Volare at night, is an experience not to be missed.

But you are the first one who listed the AMT Scirocco and I was initially tempted to include it in my list of suggestions, alongside the Golf/Rabbit. I didn't do it, because I feared by listing too much of this non-American stuff I will get all the beating again. So hey, thanks for taking this monkey off my back!

Harlan,

My experience with Volares is a wee bit different than yours. A good friend of mine built this '77 coupe, formerly a 225 slant six grandma car, currently Edelbrock headed 484ci stroker 440, 727 Torqueflite, 3:91 8-3/4, Super Pack spoiler, original color repaint, widened steelies, and your favorite dog dish hubcaps. Those may not have been cool back in the day, but they are very popular on muscle cars now. You don't need snow to get it sideways, and it will boil the hides at anything up to 80 mph.

Volare1-1.jpg

Volare2-1.jpg

I'd love to do a model of this car. As for the Scirocco, I've always liked the Mk1 body style, penned by none other than Giorgetto Giugiaro, and they are popular now as tasteful street machines with 1.8T swaps, trick suspension, and modern wheel and tire packages. I think the kit would be a good seller.

-MJS

i didnt see the following listed yet but i would like to see....

r/m 1/12 scale kits reissued...

the bel air is not hard to find you can find it easily but who knows what kind of money the collectors ask $$$$

camaro... simple "I WILL NOT PAY COLLECTOR PRICES FOR THAT KIT"

mustang aka RUSTANG' as mentioned in the above comment that i wont pay evil bay prices! (IF YOU CAN EVEN FIND ONE!)

It also had the last incarnation of electroluminescent lighting of the dashboard. Driving an old Volare at night, is an experience not to be missed.

It did? Are we talking the same lighting system as seen on the '66-'67 Chargers?

I also wonder if MPC updated the '76-'79 Volare into the '80 version, and that's how the tooling exists now? If so, they can keep it in storage, as the '80 was the worst looking of the F-bodies IMHO...but would make a good starting point for an M-body.

It did? Are we talking the same lighting system as seen on the '66-'67 Chargers?

I would think so, yes. The entire instrument cluster is a lamp illuminated behind a fascia with cut out numerals and symbols. It emits a soft greenish-turquoise light, just beautiful. The motor-pool Volares were then replaced with K-cars, which had lame digital dashboards IIRC.

Harlan,

My experience with Volares is a wee bit different than yours. A good friend of mine built this '77 coupe, formerly a 225 slant six grandma car, currently Edelbrock headed 484ci stroker 440, 727 Torqueflite, 3:91 8-3/4, Super Pack spoiler, original color repaint, widened steelies, and your favorite dog dish hubcaps. Those may not have been cool back in the day, but they are very popular on muscle cars now. You don't need snow to get it sideways, and it will boil the hides at anything up to 80 mph.

Very different indeed. I certainly wouldn't want to drive your friend's car in Bavarian Winters (too much salt on the roads :) ). Neither would it deliver 25 mpg on regular I suppose?

Edited by Junkman

Very different indeed. I certainly wouldn't want to drive your friend's car in Bavarian Winters (too much salt on the roads :) ). Neither would it deliver 25 mpg on regular I suppose?

Not many 10 second cars do. He's a serviceman, drives all day, and his favored cars for that are late '90 Honda Civic wagons with five speed transmissions - never break down and get 40 mpg.

-MJS

Rev/Mono Futurista show car

Monogram Bugatti Type 35B (some of the other Mono classics series can still be found but haven't seen the Bugatti for a long time)

The Gunze sports car collection; TR3A, Elan, XKE cv, & Bug Eye Sprite

the Gunze double kit of the Mess KR200 & BMW Isetta

AMT Sunbeam Alpine (I'd prefer the Get Smart one with the 4banger under the hood)

Revell Smart car (would prefer a new mold but this will do)

Man from Uncle car

MPC Mako Shark II

Now this is an eclectic mix and I wouldn't expect to see many of them ever show up again but one can always hope.

rob

Hubley's 60 $ 61 Ford Fairlane 4dr sedans and their 60-62 Country Sedan wagons.

Definitely AMT's 60 Chevy wagon

ALL of AMT's 60-66 Ford & Chevy pickups, MPC's Dodge Pickup Longbox & Stepside 2wheel drive & 4 wheel ok.

But, Add back the Script to the body Please! (yes I know we have gotten the 78 "Li'l Red Express" stepside recently,

but I want the Longbox kits back as Stock pickups.

AMT's 70-72 GMC Sierra Grande, MPC/AMT 67-72 Chevy Pickups with ALL options,

ie, Tow truck Fire truck, Wedge carrier, Mini-Motor Home (we did after all get those 2 in the M-K parts pack kit!)

Please correct the 72's grill.

MPC's 72-75 Charger, again With the optional parts

MPC's 70 Impala Convertible "Vampire Machine" (Glowing plastic is Not neccessary,

but would be accepted just for this Conmvertible!)

Yes, i Would want the Big Bat for on the hood, and the Spider web hub-caps

AMT's 59 Edsel Corsair & 60 Edsel Ranger (Convertible & Hardtop each)

AMT's 61/62 Buick Special Wagon With trailer & goodies!

AMT 63 Nova wagon (Same as Buick above)

Revell's 62 MoPar series!!

PMC's 59 Ford Ranchero & Country Sedan wagon

AMt's 67 Camaro Indy Pace car, 68 Torino Pace car, 66 Comet pace car

AMT 58 Pontiac Bonneville convertible with Indy pace car decals added

AMT 59 Buick Invicta convertible with pace car decals added (Though actual pace car was the Electra 225)

I do agree on AMT's 58 Ford, but it was a Fairlane 500.

The Galaxie was introduced as a mid-year addition/upgrade to the 59 Fairlane 500

Actually, I would love to see ALL of AMT's Original 1958 kits re-issued!!

MPC's 68/69 Coronet Convertible "Mission: Impossible"

I would also like to see the Police parts returned to the MPC 70 Super Bee/Coronett & 74 Road Runner

MPC Daytona Transporter truck