Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reissue Revell Ag Jaguar XK-E. What scale?

Drago

Guys, besides art box says it is 1/25 scale, I found this model in 3 diferent web stores being sold as 1/24 scale.

It can be sound a little fool... but once Revell Ag use to comercialize the Classic series and almost others models in 1/24, i might say... "can it be wrong???"

Any thoughts?

RV7291.jpg

Stay away from this one!! Unless you got acorns to make it a custom and do away with the fussy components alltogether.

I built an 80's-ish issue a few years ago... boy was it a mess!! Regardless if they even cared to clean/fix the fitment problems in this release, i'd skip it and go for the Gunze and Heller kits... Though those command alot more dough than the Revell kit and are much, much harder to find (from my experience).

Even the old Aurora/Monogram kit is better than the Revell.

Not by very much though. To my eye, i'm comparing what I have left of the Revell kit to the Aurora/Monogram one body wise, and they are almost identical tooling wise, even the details right down to the engine.

It's has to be better than this kit that I am working on

untitled.jpg

Thats the same Monogram issue of the Aurora kit my dad has. TBH, it's not much better than the Revell kit, but being rarity of aurora kits under any lable, you could probably sell it or trade it for something cooler and nicer than what youy have.

Now I remember! The Revell one I attemped to build was the issue from the Car & Driver 3-car set (it also had a Datsun 240Z anda '50's Porsshe roadster)

Despite the Revell kit is nothing to write home about, it is still LIGHTYEARS better than the Aurora kit, for the simple reason, that Aurora got the shape all wrong. The nose drops too much and is too stubby.

The Revell can be built into a very nice model, if you manage to overcome the headlamp issue and follow the 'established' rules of building a Jag E model - which is to cut the sills off the floorboard and join them to the body before painting. The real E doesn't have any seams at the A and B Pillars.

You can also build a coupe using the Aurora bodyshell and the Revell E-type - the Aurora body as such is ok.

The Heller E-Type roadster might be OK-ish, but is beaten by the Gunze with not a narrow margin. The Heller coupe is actually the worst of the lot, because the roof is way too high. It needs to be chopped about 1.5 scale inches to appear plausible, at which point everybody with half a brain would ask himself 'why not chop it more?' :)

In a Nutshell:

If you want to build an XKE roadster, go for the Gunze.

If you want to build an XKE coupe, go for the Gunze and an Aurora for the body.

And for heaven's sake, scream and yell at the manufactureres to finally tool up a proper one!

odd that in my recent spate of budget-induced kit rebuilding, i found my old Revell XKE and it's held up fairly well for nearly twenty years.... well; it lost a wheel, darn it, so i scrounged through my stash for a set of Rudge knockoffs and made up a set of racing shoes for it. yeah; it's a dated tool; i think from 1962, so it is definitely showing it's age. patience and a good reference book and it can provide a missing link for your sports car shelf.

• 2 weeks later...

It is odd that such an iconic and popular car, and it is a spectacular car, has been served so poorly by the kit manufacturers. Perhaps Gunze should release theirs in the plastic only series.

Gunze did the Jag as a plastic only kit. In some ways I prefer this version (I have both) but the one-piece chrome wire wheels, though not bad, don't compete with the beautiful PE ones in the Hi-Tech kit.

I agree with you - there is still a need for a fitting tribute to this iconic design. Jags seem to be hard to nail in scale. Even Tamiya's Mk II doesn't look quite right to me either.

Thats the same Monogram issue of the Aurora kit my dad has. TBH, it's not much better than the Revell kit, but being rarity of aurora kits under any lable, you could probably sell it or trade it for something cooler and nicer than what youy have.

Now I remember! The Revell one I attemped to build was the issue from the Car & Driver 3-car set (it also had a Datsun 240Z anda '50's Porsshe roadster)

there was an article on the Aurora sports car kits a while back in one of the model magazines (I don't remember what one), & it listed the genealogy of these kits, & according to it, the Revell/Monogram kits are direct reissues of the old Aurora kits that are made from molds acquired when Aurora folded.

i always figured the monogram ones were pretty much direct shrink-downs (if there is such a thing possible) of the Big Jag. probably just dreaming that though. the 1/8th one looks pretty good to me proportion wise but i am not an expert. a friend of mine has a roadster up on a rotisserie though (for like the last 10 years).

• 3 weeks later...

It's not so bad...

web.jpg

web.jpg

This build was straight out of the box, to show what the kit is like for a display at Scale Model World last year.

I've got the Heller Coupe and the Gunze Roadster, and they are both significantly better... although the Heller/Airfix one has a suspiciously similar parts breakdown to this old Revell. However, the old Revell is pretty good for a Classic _British_ Kit of the early sixties (it was designed and tooled in the UK, by Revell GB), and if you can buy it as a reissue, it's going to be a LOT easier to find, and easier to afford, than either of the "better" kits...

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

As far as my knowledge goes and I can be wrong now, but I looked for info a couple years ago and I believe it is initially the same kit as the Aurora/Revell, with a few changes.

I think it started with this kit and got evolved/changed into the Monogram version, although I do not understand why they would omit the rear door (as it is truly a door)

Well, I found some info at Brian's Model Cars specifically about the IMAI version, excerpted below. (Note his signature line).

new-message.gif Saturday, August 14, 2010 6:17:46 AM GMT

The bandai kit is what the Revell kit is based off. I don't know to what extent Revell changed the molds but its quite possible they did. A few of Revell's large scale kits actually came from other manufacturers. Back in the day when they acquired tooling from other manufacturers they used to like to update the kit to improve sales. Such was the case with the 1/12th scale mustang when Revell bought the tooling of Renwall they updated the tooling and released it as a GT350. I'm not sure if this was also the case when they acquired the jag from Bandai. The biggest detail I can think of they changed when they did the mustangs was they added working roll up windows. Does your jag have these? My monogram 1987 release of the kit does. I know they acquired the molds to the jag and the mustang roughly around the same time so my thoughts are if its an upgrade on the mustang its also likely an upgrade on the jag as well.

"Im a man...but I can change...if I have to... I guess." Red Green

Current Projects:

1/8 Scale 1979 Trans Am

Last edit by BrianP on Saturday, August 14, 2010 at 6:21:52 AM GMT

RESPONSE:

member.png

new-message.gif Saturday, August 14, 2010 9:06:22 PM GMT

Ah... I forgot to say that it has all the features of the Revell model plus a working steering wheel, functional rear suspension, opening rear hatch and also its motorized with the motor hidden inside the engine/transmission. These were all features of the Bandai too. Also the box said there was a roadster option available. I have never seen or heard of a 1/8 scale XKE roadster model before that! I'd really be interested in one of those.