Model Cars Magazine Forum

flathead supercharger

Check out post #53.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354057&showall=1

It looks like one is a single-carb manifold with an adapter to have the Latham blow into it. Not sure about the other. Register and ask your question. Friendly folks there. Just don't bring up anything made after 1964. Or EFI. And WHATEVER YOU DO...don't bring up rat rods.

Edited by LDO

And WHATEVER YOU DO...don't bring up rat rods.

Rat Rods?.... My jury's still out about rat rods.. The first one I saw I thought 'YUCK.. Someones idea of a rod?.. Looks like a POS to me'... BUT I will admit, the more I see the more I'm coming to grips with this type of visual reaming... Know what I mean?

Rat Rods?.... My jury's still out about rat rods.. The first one I saw I thought 'YUCK.. Someones idea of a rod?.. Looks like a POS to me'... BUT I will admit, the more I see the more I'm coming to grips with this type of visual reaming... Know what I mean?

Rat rods are not welcome at the link I provided.

this unit also looks like it would be fun. going out on a limb here, but does anyone make this in resin?

I would also love to find this in resin, however I don't figure this would be too hard to scratchbuild either. You could probably find a button at a fabric store to start with for that round impeller housing.

Superchargers that work on flathead Ford V8's need to be on the mild side: Centrifugal units, such as the Frenzel, or turbine units like the Latham,, even the relatively mild positive displacement "Rootes Type" such as the S.C.O.T unit worked. However, the best known blowers in the hot rodding crowd, the GMC blowers, were built for supercharging 71-series Detroit Diesels ("71" meant 71cid per cylinder, and the blowers were meant to scavenge exhaust gasses from those engines, which were 2-cycle motors) and generally are far too potent for a flathead Ford.

Flathead Ford V8's come out of the 1930's. and during those years, the occasional supercharger that was used in automotive applications was a centrifugal unit--think Duesenberg, Cord, Auburn, Graham Paige here. Positive displacement blowers such as the principle in the Jimmy blower, were confined largely to European engines, where their use was intermittent at best (Bugatti, BMW, Mercedes Benz) where if they were engaged 100% of the time, they'd simply destroy the engine they were mounted on.

Art

Superchargers that work on flathead Ford V8's need to be on the mild side: Centrifugal units, such as the Frenzel, or turbine units like the Latham,, even the relatively mild positive displacement "Rootes Type" such as the S.C.O.T unit worked. ....

so for modeling purposes, i am going to conclude the latham blower is at lease plausible. not sure i'll tack on the thickson air cleaners, though.

thanks all

• 5 years later...

.....this unit also looks like it would be fun. going out on a limb here, but does anyone make this in resin? .....

Didn't even know these existed until my pal Steve Catron in Santa Fe told me about them, and that there was someone on ebay selling 3D printed ones. Found the listing here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frenzel-supercharger-1-25th-scale-for-Ford-flathead-models-high-resolution-3d-/202056240001

s-l1600.jpg

Didn't even know these existed until my pal Steve Catron in Santa Fe told me about them, and that there was someone on ebay selling 3D printed ones. Found the listing here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frenzel-supercharger-1-25th-scale-for-Ford-flathead-models-high-resolution-3d-/2020562400

That Frenzel unit is cool. Wis that was avaialable when I built this one. Made my own on the same principal out of my parts box...

21:484485381103

As for the original posters question, here's my take on a Latham on a flathead...

102_3182.JPG