Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Ecto 1A to be re-released?

I back-dated the AMT kit into a First movie version BEFORE Polar-Lights came out with their snap kit of the car

Here are comparison pictures.

Left side;

Ecto-1A-Ls.jpg

Ecto-1-Ls.jpg

Right side:

Ecto-1A-Rs.jpg

Ecto-1-Rs.jpg

Be aware, I added the Messages myself, replacing the decals given for them.

I will be digging out the masters to make more.

Both versions of the car have the XL Lightbar & 4 "Spot/Flasher" lights on the roof

In the Original they are Blue & Flash, in the Second, they are green & Steady Burn.

The carrier is extended and now has the Whelan "Edge" bar above the front XL Lightbar.

It is a Chrome piece, you will have to detail paint it. Same with the XL's, They are a Chrome base & Clear cap.

(Surprisingly, P-L cast their XL's that way too, they should be Blue with a Chrome center section)

The updated 1A had the Dish in place of the twin tube/Spear antenna, The one box painted green on

1A is Not there on the Original, but P-L cast it there, WITH the Red Light molded in place too!!

For accuracy, Cut that box off & cover the hole with sheet plastic.

P-L also casts the flashers/Strobes on the grill, while the AMT kit has separate Clear parts.

Though there was only One double size Yellow rotator on the lower left side of the grill/bumper.

The small canister above the Dish (Left rear corner of the carrier) is Not in the AMT kit, but should be.

Polar-Lights casts the 2 tanks for the Left side of the carrier as separate parts, while they are molded

with the piece in the AMT kit. AMT include's a Clear Strobe light for the Carrier, but Neither do the Siren correctly

The Polar Lights kit is also missing a Mars 888/Gyra-type light.

The AMT kit has a Tread-plate Step bumpler, the P-L kit an Era Correct Cadillac rear bumper.

But, Only the AMT kit has the clear-red Bullit tail lights.

They are cast on the rear bumper of the P-L kit

The P-L kit comes with Heavy promo type metal axles, And, the rear axle is about 3 scale inches too far

back in the wheel well. Move it forward about the thickness of the metal axle.

AMT got the License plate incorrect. In one scene near the end of the movie, they look diredtly at it,

and 'Liberty' is Between the Ecto & 1A, while AMT printed it to one side.

If I have left anything out, let me know, and I will try to add to what I remember

Also, Should I show all the Signs I made for the build??

Forgot a little, Plus, had 6 pic's linked, and got a pop-up saying too many.

The Chrome-Reverse rims in 1A should be painted white with Only Chrome 'Baby'-Moons

The box showed BF Goodrich T/A radials on the car, but we got hollow Goodyear's.

The original version had a Blue lens in the spotlight whlie it is clear in the updated 1A.

Also, The original has both a mirror on the spot light, and a standard mirror on the door,

while 1A only has the mirror on the Spotlight.

he Spotlight mounts Down through the top of the fender, Not on the A Pillar as in Both

kits The Original Ecto has 2 Large Whip antennas right front & Left rear, AND a standard AM radio

antenna on the right front fender (See pic's above for both details)

Here is a front shot;

Ecto-1A-F.jpg

Here is the 1A rear bumper;

Ecto-1A-R.jpg

Both of these show the corrected License plate, the front shows the Yellow rotator closer to that

seen in the second film. I made this from a yellow Light-Bright Peg and Styrene bits.

Here are the sign-boards too;

1A-Signs-1.jpg

1A-Signs-2.jpg

The AMT kit only gives yo 2 message boards, but I made more out of .o6 sheet & .o1x.o2 strip

they only gave youa Red 'Ghostbusters' & a green "WE'RE BACK", while there were Many More seen

and the We're back actually showed as 2 colors flashing alternately

red We're/green Back--green We're/red Back

I made the Masters for the messages from Blank sections from a Revell 'Goodyear' Blimp kit

I extended a section to the required length (read number of spots/elements) and cut it to 7 rows in height

I then scaled it down on an Office copier.(This Was before PC's became so cheap, plus, I only needed to copy black.white!

I made a few i whithe blanks, then copied more to Flurescent Red & green paper to simulate the red & green lights of the sign boards.

All I had to do them was black-out the unused spots to spell out the messages. (And Yes, I did mess up a Lot!!)

The sign-plates are 2-sided, and I made 2 of each mesasge!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Pictures from the iHobby showed the AMT kit.

I am surprissed even Monogram/Revell got the grill/Head light area wrong on the 59 Caddy!!

The chrome should only go Half as far back as it does around the head lights.

They Should have cast the headlight pods as separate pieces!!

I see you corrected that!!

Nice build going there!

i will Definitely be getting more of this kit!!

Glad to see it back

I though that AMT had announced it back when P-L announced their's!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Pictures from the iHobby showed the AMT kit.

I am surprissed even Monogram/Revell got the grill/Head light area wrong on the 59 Caddy!!

The chrome should only go Half as far back as it does around the head lights.

They Should have cast the headlight pods as separate pieces!!

I see you corrected that!!

Nice build going there!

Yeah- the way they did the sides on those headlamp bezels always bugged me, on both the AMT and Monogram kits. It's pretty easy to blend in the necessary portion, you just need to mask off that bumper/grille during the bodywork/paint phases!

Yes. The AMT kit is also a Curbside.

I believe P-L used it to master theirs.

I am surprised I have not seen anyone bash one with a Rev/Mono Eldorado for an Engine & detailed chassis

I may do that myself.

I Was going to use the Monogram kit's rear bumper on my back-dated build, but think I will modify a P-L one instead

Aaron- it kind of reminds me of an old Jo-Han kit, only better. One-piece 'plate' chassis with everything molded to it, all the seats molded into the interior tub, sealed hood, etc. It has pretty good surface detail and looks right. If you're really courageous, kitbashing it with a Monogram Eldo for a full detail kit would be very workable.

:huh: The AMT kit did have a 'stock' rear bumper- for the ambulance version.

The AMT rear bumper wasn't a period '59 ambulance style, though...IIRC the kit had a custom bumper w/ a diamond tread step area...maybe that represented a custom bumper used on the movie car...the Modelhaus part is a normal bumper w/ license plate recess...they also have the hubcaps in their set.

Edited by Rob Hall