Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decals

I am trying to put together the Ken Schrader Chevy Race Truck and I am having alot of problems with the decals. When applying them they don't want to stick to the paint and when they slide off the paper the leave a yellow ring like they came from the 30s. any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately what you describe is somewhat common with that era of decals that came in those kits. And as if what you are experiencing isn't enough, they are printed with a thick U.V. protectant clear that is impervious to decal solvents.

When I use them, I let them soak long enough to be able to brush away, (with a soft paint brush), all the excess glue before applying them.

It is the glue that is causing the discoloration.

If it seems it needs additional adhesive, thinned down (with water) white glue can be used.

Be sure to wipe it down with a damp cloth once the decal has set, but before the glue becomes fully cured.

Heat can help make them conform a little bit, careful use of a hairdryer works for me.