Model Cars Magazine Forum

revell 2010 mustang snap kit.

towtruck

Well...so much for that plan,LOL! I had to run out to the LHS (Hobbytown in Johnson City) for some particular paint,and they had 3 of em (one was in someone else's hand headed to the checkout),so I snagged the other two :P:rolleyes:B) I'll get it opened up and post some pics later tonight (can't let the wife see I bought two more kits today ;) ) :)

I just got the '10 GT5000 coupe for $15 at the LIARS show last month, so this should be a nice companion to it (maybe if I got another GT500 kit for dirt cheap, I could do som kitbashin'!! Get the hint?).

LHS said they would be coming within this monday, as with the Classic Crusers Lambo (YAY!!!!), and the former Snap-Tite '77 GMC Wrecker (hopefully his price should be 'round $20, not the $30 MSRP like i've seen ata few places).

Just cracked it open. A conversion is certainly doable,but it will take a bit of work,BUT all the pieces are there (I just basically glanced). I'm a bit disappointed,I was expecting a bit...more detail,but it will hit it's intended target (new or young builders) perfectly,my son will LOVE it,LOL! All in all,from a glance-through,well worth the lower price-point it sells for. I'll buy a couple more and try some kitbashing\swaps :)

IMG_3664.jpg

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3667.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3671.jpg

IMG_3672.jpg

Separate rotor/caliper castings for a snapper? Haven't seen that in a while! Separate hood is a huge bonus, and I actually like having the front and rear facias molded to the body. Already plotting out how to meld this body with the glue kit chassis.

Is the taillamp unit molded red or painted red? I ask because the backup lamps on the '10's are pretty prominent, and if they're molded red silver paint is about the only way to add the backup lamps, and to me that just never looks right.

Separate rotor/caliper castings for a snapper? Haven't seen that in a while! Separate hood is a huge bonus, and I actually like having the front and rear facias molded to the body. Already plotting out how to meld this body with the glue kit chassis.

Is the taillamp unit molded red or painted red? I ask because the backup lamps on the '10's are pretty prominent, and if they're molded red silver paint is about the only way to add the backup lamps, and to me that just never looks right.

Thanks for the photo's, a conversion looks very do-able, BTW if possible Stephen, can you post a shot of the back-end too?,

Again thanks!

Edited by Luc Janssens

Stephen, thanks for those pics of the kit. Now, with actual kit photographs in hand (in your case, the actual kit!), we can start formulating our plans of attack for the builds we have planned in our heads. I can see this kit will be FAR easier to lower than the glue due to its' simple chassis pan (which looks to be fairly well detailed in its' own right).

Looks like a little bit of surgery will be needed to mate the glue guts to the snap shell/interior. The body mounting lugs (the posts hanging down from the cowl area) and the radiator core support will have to be removed at the very least. I am assuming there are 2 more at the trunk area as well. I am also assuming the convertible interior boot well probably has some that will need to be removed/trimmed to fit the glue chassis. The front facia being molded on isn't really too hard to overcome, as I see it is cast with the same body separation line as the glue kits. Shouldn't be beyond any of us to scribe the lines through, remove the original piece, and glue the GT500 piece on. Can't tell about the rear, but I am assuming the same. Tires will have to be changed out as well, as they look to suffer the same fate as the glue kits units. Tail lights can be pirated from the glue as well for more detail ability (versus just the red one-piece units of the snapper).

I can see a lot of potential here for an out of the box build, some mild kitbashing, and some full-on kitbash projects. Thanks again, Stephen. Looks like Revell might just have another good seller on their hands.

Clear red snapped over a chrome base...ah well :huh:

Thanks for the photo's, a conversion looks very do-able, BTW if possible Stephen, can you post a shot of the back-end too?,

Again thanks!

I'm getting ready to walk out the door for have-to's for the day,I'll get em shot and posted later today\tonight :)

I'm going to finish my current WIP's before starting on one of these (one of em is for my son,the still-sealed one),but when I do,it'll be in the '05-'10 Mustang CBP thread and I'll let y'all know :)

LOL,Bradley,you and I were posting at the same time :lol: . I agree 110% with every word you said,definately looks doable. I'll get some more detailed shots of the rear end later tonight,y'all lemme know if there's any specific shots anyone wants to see :) OK,I'm out the door,she's blowing the horn at me :P TTYS

Edited by Olskoolrodder

Thanks Stephen, now I see that the rear fascia is as the front, it can be cut along the same body lines as the existing glue kits and all GT500 parts swapped over. Or, just take the convertible-specific bits (interior and top-down boot) and stick them into a roof-removed glue GT500 kit. I see a lot of possibilities for the snapper..................

Yes Rob, your memory is correct in that the glue GT500 front and rear fascias are separate pieces, as are the '10GT units.

I have also just picked this kit up. Should have had a separate grille. And why the F do companies think I don't want an uptop on a convertible? The body had some pretty bad mold lines and some flash for its age (brand new!!). And WHY oh WHY the same wheels as the other GT kit!? Otherwise, nice fun kit:)

They didn't put the uptop in because it's both aimed at young builders and it would raise the (pretty low) price of the kit,and they already had those wheels so modding the mold didn't cost much either would be my guess there. I agree though,would have loved an uptop...my 1:1 ragtop's (my avatar) might be down lots in the summer\Fall,but it's UP mostly now,LOL,it'd be nice to have that option with the kit too.